Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Okay, it was only a ickle query letter, and the return I got was a standard, form letter, three chapters, synopsis, CV, etc...(which I will worry about later as I haven't had anything published, ever)...but I got my very first request for a partial today!!! I'm nearly out of credit on my mobile so I can't text everyone to let them know so I'm bouncing around the internet with excitement!!!

:TheWave: :TheWave:

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
:TheWave:
Woo-hoo!

Let us know what happens with the partial.

Reaction score
Well I still have to type out a synopsis - lucky for me I went over the first three chapters to make them just perfect. While I'm waiting on a reply I can work on the other thirty-odd and of course I'll be NaNo-ing my socks off.

Any ideas what I can do about the CV, though? I've never had anything published before, so what do I do about that, and also the submissions history? I've sent chapters to plenty other agents, but not in this form (they've been tweaked and improved). What do I say?

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
:PartySmil

I'm not sure what you SHOULD do but what you COULD do is to say 'as I have no prior publications, instead of an empty CV I thought I might send my fact-sheet and bio' then basically do the name, schooling, organisational memberships in fact-sheet style and then put a one/two paragraph bio.

Or you could contact the agency (not the agent, but the main switchboard/receptionist) and ask 'apart from publication history and organisational memberships, what else does GEF agency expect to see in a writer's CV?'

Reaction score
Even that seems a bit difficult. I honestly can't think what to put. Not having a family or a very exciting work history, you see...I don't suppose anyone has any samples I could read? Or any links to the kind of thing I could use as a template/example?

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Ummm...

ScarletPeaches always wanted to be surrounded by a loving family the closest of whom would be her husband, four amazing children each saving the world in different ways, two cocker spaniels and a cheshire cat - all this while enjoying a high-flying career as a ............., having graduated with honours from ............. and ............. . She wishes that she lived in .............. and could be found lingering over a latte or strolling the nearby sands of ........ beach. All this not least because it would look great on a book-bio, but in reality Scarlet lives alone in a bedsit in bognor regis and watches telly when not stacking shelves at the local supermarket.

something like that?

Reaction score
It's worth a go! :D (Apart from the four kids thing, that's my worst nightmare)...

Reaction score
Oh bollocks.

Thank you for your submission. Your writing is witty and fluent, but...

It ended in a 'no', to cut a short story even shorter.

Big fat hairy arses!

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
"Witty and fluent" is a huge compliment! Onwards and upwards!

Reaction score
I know, I was allowing myself a brief period of grumpiness then on with the manuscript-tweaking...:D (And NaNo).

Status
Not open for further replies.