Market Workshop

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Well I do think it would be useful to try and figure out what's appropriate to markets in a more considered way than I'm currently managing (current method: market that pays well? check; read story; like story? check; submit).

So how about we do a short informal poll to see what magazine to discuss, take a couple of weeks to read the stories in that magazine, and then try and determine what they have in common, what threads tie them, what the editors particularly seem to appreciate, etc. Then choose another magazine and start again. Any other ideas, suggestions?

Is everyone that is interested submitting to genre markets?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I'm genre. Primarily I write space opera, though I've done a bit of fantasy and horror.

One thing that may be challenging is availability of magazines, so it might also be worth as we toss out magazine ideas also having people chime in on whether or not they're available in their particular countries. Obviously less of a concern with web markets & podcasts, but I think it's still an important part of the dialogue -- in my limited experience, the sensibilities of the primary US markets differ substantially from the UK and Australia, frex.

-Suzanne

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It may be best to select a free online publication - that way everyone can participate even if they can't spend the $ on a particular magazine at the moment.

I would suggest something along the lines of Daily Science Fiction (free e-mailed stories and they are mostly flash so it won't take too much time, but with one longer story posted on Friday). I also like the fact that they are somewhat hit & miss, so there's more interesting discussion possibilities than there might be when reading, say, Clarkesworld. :)

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
If we all write genre, we can probably find one magazine that would work for most everyone - lots do SF, Fantasy, and Horror. It'd be harder to find a mag that took genre and literary - except maybe the New Yorker or something, and that's a bit out of my league.

Yeah, one that's available free online would be ideal. Definitely needs to be something everyone interested can read :) I believe there are several in that category anymore.

I'm iffy about DSF though. I already read that one regularly for one thing. And it's so eclectic, I'm afraid it would be difficult to analyze. But if that's what everyone wants to do, anything will be a learning experience for me.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I'm in. Some suggestions for potential markets we could study:

Lightspeed -Geared more towards sci-fi
Weird Tales -Weird horror and fantasy
Chiaroscuro -Horror, fantasy, and sci-if, all with a dark edge

All of them are available for free online. I haven't read too much from Lgihtspeed or Weird Tales, but Chizine has published some stories that I really liked.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Beneath Ceaseless Skies is another that's on line for everyone to read.

I'm not sure what I write. I write stuff.

I suppose most of it would fall into a vague fantasy category, and a bit of horror-ish and Sci-Fi-ish stuff.

Last edited:

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the list Matt. I should have looked at that before. There's a couple on there I hadn't really looked at previously :)

These are all good ideas. Do people want to say which they prefer or shall I just pick one and we get on with it? If we do a different magazine every couple of weeks or month or so, we'll get to all of them eventually.

I'm thinking Chizine looks like a good place to start :)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chizine is good for me.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I'm horror and dark fantasy. I'm up for giving this a try. Chizine is good for me as well.

So once we start, are we going to keep making suggestions for future ones? Will you be compiling a list that we will work through?

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Yes and yes.

What I'd like is to end up with a good concept of the right magazine for a story, or, if one were so inclined, some idea of how to write a story for a particular magazine. What "fits" (at least in the here and now. These things change.)

The magazines obviously have to differentiate themselves for their readers. So if you pick up Weird Tales (for example) you as the reader have an idea what kind of stories are going to be in it. But if I look at Chizine's submission guidelines (I just did), it says "dark" and "well-written". That doesn't tell me a lot. So if I write a dark fantasy story, am I better off sending it to Chizine or Cemetery Dance or Dark Wisdom or Fantasy Magazine? I think all of them would like well-written, dark fantasy, but different stories would work better for each of them.

Most magazines suggest reading the stories in them. And I do. I always read at least one story before submitting anything. Unfortunately I think my analysis is sort of shallow. I end up with either I like it or I don't, but little about what made it the right story for that market. To figure that out, I need to read a lot of stories from the magazine and compare them :)

So if we assume all of us can manage well-written (even if I can't, reading and analyzing a lot of stories will help with that anyway), then I'd like to go through a good list of pro-markets (the genre list isn't that long), and analyze them so I understand what kind of stories each market needs.

And yes, I know, I could just send the stories to all of the reasonable markets, but I think I'll end up better off overall from analyzing what works in stories, and what makes them work for each market. And that if we do it together, we'll get a much deeper analysis as everyone else will see things I miss and vice versa.

Does that make sense?

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like a great idea, and I'd agree that Chizine sounds a good place to start.

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
That's the one I know, soapdish. If there's some other criteria, I'm not aware of it. I think Matt's correct about using the well-known semi-pro ones as well (and markets that pay a flat free range from semi-pro to pro depending on how long the stories are, I think).

Unless someone has a strong objection, I'll plan on starting with Chizine then, and spending 2 weeks to a month reading the stories there, posting whenever anyone has anything to add :) There's plenty of archive issues so it isn't necessary to wait for material or anything. I suppose some markets may have less up at once.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Would it be possible for us to look at this story at some point.

http://www.chizine.com/bacchus_anesti.htm

I'd be very interested to know what other people thought of it.
Clearly ChiZine like it a lot as they have published it twice.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It says at the bottom 'originally published by ChiZine September 2000', and now it's there in the current issue.
So that would be twice, wouldn't it?
Or am I wrong?

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Huh. Yeah, you're right. Maybe they had a lack of good submissions and had to fill with something from awhile ago. It was several years ago, so readership has probably changed a lot since then. Browsing through the archives on the site, it looks like they publish a *lot* of reprints. Not just ones that they published before. Interesting.

So, if they've published the story once, do they have to pay the writer again for the reprint? It doesn't say anything about reprint rights in the submission guidelines, as far as I can tell.

Hmmm.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I assume that they pay again. Probably not as much, judging by other magazines that do mention that.
After 11 years any rights they had should have long expired, so they would have to buy them again.

But this is all just assumptions. I don't know anything.

The thing with this one is they have published it twice, so they must really like it. Also they must think it fits their current reader profile as well as that from 2000.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
That seems a good place to start; interesting to note that it's been published by the same place twice. I guess if they'd publish it once there's no reason they wouldn't publish it twice, because the same things that made them buy it the first time are still present in the story. But still...something must have really impressed them about it, especially for the editor(s?) to remember it after a decade and gods know how many other stories have passed.

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
I've read the story.

*** SPOILERS BELOW ****

I've read a few ChiZine stories. They usually have a sort of feeling, an ambiance of dread or mounting horror to them. I think this story fits the bill. It's very literary, the language is beautiful. But the story is lacking. Quite simply, it is a revenge story dressed up in pretty prose.

I find this often with ChiZine stories. It seems more about the mood than the story. The writing and imagery is beautiful, however, and it has this in common with other stories. Dark fantasy with a rich setting, lovely language, and a feeling of doom or foreboding.

I also read "Writing Hell" and have no idea how that fits into ChiZine.

Would it be possible for us to look at this story at some point.

http://www.chizine.com/bacchus_anesti.htm

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK. Spoilers below

The thing is I know this must be a good story. It's in a good pro paying mag, they like it so much they wanted it twice. But it didn't do anything for me.

From the line at the end of the first scene 'Against Jacob and the woman.' I knew how it was going to end.

Because that is how it had to end.

The other thing was when people speak the writer uses phrases like 'he twittered happily', or 'he exhaled nervously'. And this is exactly what we are told not to do.
Not that I'm criticising it, I just noticed it. And I thought, well, this mag has paid for the story twice, so where does that leave the rules?
And the writing is beautiful. This isn't a writer that uses adverbs and speech tags like that because they don't know any better. Clearly they can write, and they chose to write like that, and Chizine chose to publish it, twice.
And that makes me wonder.

Over all I thought this was a story about women, about the strength of women when they are unified.
And about the strength of myths and archetypes, and how these can be used as transformative images. By acting the part we/they become the part.
Acting is an invocation, a magical process of creation.

And it's about revenge. Of course.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sort of feeling, an ambiance of dread or mounting horror to them.
Yes, I think this story does that slow mounting very well. I suspect that is key to Chizine.

It's very literary, the language is beautiful. But the story is lacking. Quite simply, it is a revenge story dressed up in pretty prose.
I agree, but I don't feel like it's lacking. In fact, I don't usually consider myself a fan of literary prose like this, but...I felt that this story has a good balance. I don't feel like it was overdone. It bounces back and forth between pretty prose and a more casual, contemporary style. I think that's the trick, getting that balance, so it's not too much one or the other.

From the line at the end of the first scene 'Against Jacob and the woman.' I knew how it was going to end.
True. But I think it's more about the ride than the end. :D
The other thing was when people speak the writer uses phrases like 'he twittered happily', or 'he exhaled nervously'. And this is exactly what we are told not to do.
Not that I'm criticising it, I just noticed it. And I thought, well, this mag has paid for the story twice, so where does that leave the rules?
I think we have to learn the rules, and when we have, when we have them down--then we can break them. Or at least that's what I keep hearing, and it makes sense. If you don't really understand the rules and why they exist, you can't break them and make it *work*. Does that make sense?

This isn't a writer that uses adverbs and speech tags like that because they don't know any better. Clearly they can write, and they chose to write like that, and Chizine chose to publish it, twice.
Right. That's just it. They are making a choice to write this way, and you can tell. It's not that they are just breaking the rules because they don't know any better.
Over all I thought this was a story about women, about the strength of women when they are unified.
And about the strength of myths and archetypes, and how these can be used as transformative images. By acting the part we/they become the part.
Acting is an invocation, a magical process of creation.

And it's about revenge. Of course.
Hell, I'm still not even sure what it's about, other than the revenge part. But there was a lot being said about sexuality. I'd have to read it again to go deeper into that.

Has a total Black Swan feel to it. Which, I wonder if that played into it being republished right now. You know, like readers are sorta in the mood for a story like that again? :Shrug:

Oh, and I noticed a typo :tongue

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
This was an interesting story to have read to start with Lillie, thank you. It's not my kind of story either, and I probably wouldn't have finished it other than wanting to be able to discuss it intelligently.

I haven't read enough of Chizine in a way that would have allowed me to pick up on the general ambiance things you noticed, Matt. Thank you so much. The atmosphere and building horror are very clear in this one and I'm going to find it interesting to look for that in other stories in the magazine.

There are things in this one that make me happy for a piece of my own that is similar in some ways - it's intended to have a similar increasing beat, and also has a mythological theme (which probably isn't important, but still).

The "twittering happily" and related didn't really bother me. I noticed that one, but thought it fit the tone rather well. I believer the general advice (avoiding adverbs and adjectives) is intended to help new writers learn to use stronger verbs. Not an issue in this story and the occasional adjective, like that one, is actually the descriptive phrase that fits best.

There were a few places I labeled as "trying too hard" in my mind. Where an analogy or turn of phrase was neat and unique, but made the action described very difficult or impossible to picture. But I'm not going to point them out specifically as that turns into more a critique of the story individually rather than adding to the general preferences of the publication. (And yeah, I saw a typo or two as well.)

I didn't really like the story. I believe I found the sex scenes a bit gratuitous as they were so completely described. But that's a personal preference kind of thing. I certainly don't expect to enjoy every story published (even twice, even in the same magazine.) As the submission guidelines say 'no reprints' very clearly, all of the ones that are reprints must be by invitation only. I'd love to know what makes them chose to do so, but can only guess.

I'm not sure I agree that it's about revenge, exactly. Or is meant to be. Certainly there's some of that. But there's also the 'breaking barriers' kind of theme. That I dunno if I understand very well anyway. I agree with you soapdish that it would take rereading and a deeper analysis. What do you mean by a "Black Swan" feel? A reference to the movie? (I haven't seen it).

I haven't read the other story you mentioned Matt, so I'll try that one next.