Aus covers win Annual Design Awards!

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
trilogy.jpg

Congratulations to my Australian cover designer Bruno Herfst and illustrator Elise Hurst who danced away as winners of the Best Designed Children's Series at the 59th Annual Book Design Awards last night! Woot! I've always been shamelessly in love with these covers and made no seceret that they're my favourite of all the Moorehawkes, so I'm just thrilled that Elise and Bruno got this recognition.

Allen and Unwin (my Aussie publishers) are notorious for their great cover design ( and quirky cutting edge YA) Its well worth going over to their blog and checking out all the awards their designers got this year.

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
Its just so great isn't it? I love working with those guys and I'm delighted that they're getting the recognition they deserve.

I am Celine btw! I had meant Gary Clarke to be my pen name (after a beloved uncle) but the whole publishing thing happened so damned fast that I never got a chance to make it happen LOL!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Whoops, sorry, Celine! I should have looked at the name on your avatar. Your post makes more sense to me now (I thought ... well, now it seems silly and convoluted).

I can see why you love those covers so much. They're lyrical. Congratulations to you and to the artists.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Wow! No wonder they won. Congratulations!!!!

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
Thanks guys! I'll pass this thread link on to the design team. I'm sure they'll love to read it - especially the word 'lyrically' as applied to their work! How lovely!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I love the way they make a single composition. Also, they would make great toile.

CGs to you and the artists!

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
They would make great toile.

What a delicious idea! There were only very very few posters printed off showing the three covers together and I am lucky enough to have one hanging on my wall at home. It really does look spectacularly good blown up and shown in sequence. Elise Hurst wrote a lovely blog post about how she worked out the designs if anyone is interested in seeing it ( and maybe congratulating her on her win )

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
Well done - they're fantastic!