Wonder vs. Doom

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
All right, I've been stalled on a short because I'm having an existential crisis. I'm at a fork in the road where the story can go one of two very different directions.

On the one hand, there's a little devil on my shoulder. I call him Lovecraft. :evil He tells me that stories should head toward horror, anti-gnosis, and terrible things. He tells me to go down the dark path, which ends in violence.

On the other, there's a little angel. I call this angel Hollywood. :2angel: She believes that stories, especially sci-fi stories, should go toward happy endings, or at least hopeful ones. She thinks that people like to have a little hope at the end.

Based on my crits, people tend to prefer happy endings over sad ones. I tend to prefer horrible endings when writing, but I like happy endings when I read.

What sayeth the crowd? Lovecraft or Hollywood?

Aaron Wilder

Registered
Reaction score
I firmly believe that there's no such thing as a truly happy ending, so I'd lean towards doom:

You can have a truly wonderful life and get everything you ever want, but that life still ends in death.

The Bible ends with the book of Revelation.

The most delicious meal you've eaten still turned into poop in the end.

Just depends on where you want to end the story I guess. :)

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
This is obviously just personal preference, but I lean far, far towards the Lovecraft side of things both when writing and reading.

C.J.Lindsay

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the story, and it's hard to comment without knowing anything about it. I prefer realistic endings, however that needs to come about. Happy endings where everything's all perfectly tied up annoy me, but a story that suddenly veers off into tragic horror would annoy me equally if it didn't make sense within the structure of the story.

If it's a horror to start with, I tend to like it to stay that way, and not have a happy resolution, which can sometimes mean that the situation seems resolved, but you know the threat will always be around to resurface later.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
My first drafts almost always have happy endings: I'm a softie and I want things to work out for my characters. However, that ending usually comes off as forced or out of tune with the rest of the piece, so I re-write it and turn it into something a little less up-beat but more true to the work as a whole. I would say go for whichever one fits the story better. Try writing both the Lovecraft and the Hollywood version of the end. One of them will sing, while the other will sound a little out of key.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to lead towards optimistic endings -- by which I don't necessarily mean happy (though I've certainly done that) but that there's always at least some glimmer of hope left at the end. This may be because I've experienced sufficient tragedy in my real life that I just don't have much of a taste for it in my imaginary ones, so YMMV.

-Suzanne

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Thinking about it, I've even gone so far as to write the dreaded "and they're all hit with a truck" ending, though I did so in a horror tale. That's the one that's been lingering at Apex, so I guess it didn't work out too badly.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer the hopeful/positive endings. Having said that, variety is the spice of life. I read and write stuff with darker endings as well as the lighter fare. Go with whatever feels the most natural for your characters/plot and what makes for the best possible story. If you have two great outcomes, you can just write two stories :)

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
In a novel, I want the hero to overcome (even if the hero doesn't survive) and for there to be at least some hope.

Short stories are different, though. I don't get as invested in the characters or the outcome. I can handle horrible, happy or something in between so long as it actually fits the story.

Shelley

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
This all came about when I read Brad Torgersen's blog (he's a WotF winner and rookie year champion with several sales to Analog). He pointed out that bad endings are considered more realistic.

But is it so?

I mean, I've been researching life expectancy for a case of mine and the average person in the U.S. is expected to live into his/her 70s. This suggests to me that most people around here live a long life, a life that is not cut short due to disease or tragedy.

However, I've also learned that the human brain is hardwired to remember negative events for survival purposes. So for each bad event, it takes three or four good events to make up for it.

I've also come across studies that suggest that after an incredible event (very happy or very tragic), short term happiness changes, but then settles into a base line in the long run. Which means no matter how bad things get, we generally keep going.

As for life ending with death, we really don't know what death means.

So this idea that "real life" is tragic is probably due more to our biases than the facts.

Brad's point was to use the sense of wonder in short stories. I'm willing to bet that many, if not everyone here at some point in their life gazed up into the infinite sea of stars and wondered "What if?" Or "What's out there?".

I think this sense of wonder is what separates modern science fiction (and to some extent, fantasy) from other genres.

Jim Penn

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Matt, I realize this is a relatively old thread. I am curious to know which path you chose of the above, or did you find a compromise?