What is your memoir or biography about?

insolentlad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
insolentlad.com
I am quite unlikely to ever write a memoir, as I have slipped far too much of my own life into my fiction. However, I have completed a biography of my late mother, a moderately well-known painter in her time, heavy with illustrations of her artwork. A labor of love, so to speak, and I was happy to get it finished before she passed away. I knew much of the story, of course, but learned more delving into the records and photos. Most importantly, it helped me understand her as an artist, something I had never really thought deeply about—she and her work were always just there, you know?

sommemi

Uses loquacious in sentences
Registered
Reaction score
Just had to say that I love reading everyone's responses! This is why I love reading so much... so many unique experiences! And I'm really glad this post was started. :)

Years and years ago I had been on absolute write trying to get some help and feedback about my Father's memoirs, but after he passed away, I didn't have the heart to edit them too much and so I went with the self-pub route to ensure that his stories would remain in tact. I have enough for 3 volumes, but have already published the first volume of them that I have had the time to edit (for punctuation and typos and ensuring names got proper permissions, etc).

My Father was a really unique man - his stories include things like his experience in the Soap Box Derby, stories from his service in the Korean War, and especially some stories about Roller Speed Skating which was a huge part of his life. He was a complete goofball and most of his stories resemble something from a cartoon, so I was lucky enough to commission a cartoonist to draw his book cover. :)

(If you wanna see the awesome cover, here is the link to the book: http://a.co/jfd8QwH)

Thanks for listening! And good luck to all of you in your writing adventures!!! xoxo

SteveCorwin

Registered
Reaction score
12 years as a homeless crack addict, stealing on the streets of Houston to support my habit. I know the theme is a dime-a-dozen but it was a pretty thrilling ride and I'm sure people will enjoy the read.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
12 years as a homeless crack addict, stealing on the streets of Houston to support my habit. I know the theme is a dime-a-dozen but it was a pretty thrilling ride and I'm sure people will enjoy the read.

You need a beginning and an end to the story. Do you have one?

Desertphile

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidmichaelrice.com
I suppose it's mostly memoirs on here but you never know. What is your memoir/book about?

I lived in a cave by myself for 29 months in the desolate Avawatz mountain range (near Death Valley, California, USA): that is the main theme that ties the book together. The memoir includes stories about my life in the desert with my brother and the people we interacted with. Because I am a comedy writer, the memoir is exceptionally entertaining.

“It’s a cynical, outrageous, politically incorrect, foul-mouthed and absolutely hilarious modern-day Walden.” — Douglas Preston (author of Lost City of the Monkey God).

“David is my favorite curmudgeon. I thoroughly enjoyed every page!” — Wonderhussy (Las Vegas Showgirl)

“Hysterically funny, but in a ‘twisted genius’ way.” — Nadia Teeze (Exotic Dancer and Contortionist)

"David writes dirty." — Forrest Fenn (author of The Thrill of the Chase)

Kathella

A Petty Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds rather vanilla after reading some of these incredible summaries, but my memoir is bout my personal life experiences from middle school through high school.

I want to give insight to the life and times of today's youth. It covers the basics: battling depression from a young age, the trials of bullying, searching for a place to belong in a sea of people. The time frame adds some flavor, though. Growing up during the revolution of sending "nudes" through text messaging was an experience, and it tells of how it impacted student lives and educators both. The misinformation circulated through current sex-ed programs, having homeless friends, a bout of mass hysteria leading to a "poltergeisting" ordeal, being admitted to a psychiatric hospital, all give it some depth. A lot of the story centers around the misadventures of delinquent youth looking for trouble in a small town, and the unexpected life lessons that follow.

I have no insight as to whether or not it will have any market appeal, but I'm hoping someone might pick it up and find something enjoyable under the cover. Still in the early editing phase, but I've got it drafted up and continue to hammer away at it.

bahamaswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fayknowles.blogspot.com
I suppose it's mostly memoirs on here but you never know. What is your memoir/book about?

In my illustrated mini-memoir I share memories of my 1978 journey back to Scotland with my mother and young sons, to revisit our Scottish roots. The book contains Scottish ancestry, historical facts, genealogy, comparable prices, geographical descriptions, personal anecdotes, nostalgia and precious old photos!

bleep

Registered
Reaction score
In my illustrated mini-memoir I share memories of my 1978 journey back to Scotland with my mother and young sons, to revisit our Scottish roots. The book contains Scottish ancestry, historical facts, genealogy, comparable prices, geographical descriptions, personal anecdotes, nostalgia and precious old photos!

That sounds "really cool," to use a highly technical phrase. ; )

Reactions: bahamaswriter

bleep

Registered
Reaction score
What is your memoir/book about?

What it was like to grow up with a sister who was physically and mentally disabled but otherwise emotionally intelligent, and a bipolar mom.

books_are_amazing

Registered
Reaction score
My memoir is about having anorexia and being in a psychiatric ward with other eating disorder teen patients and the reality of having an eating disorder. My goal is that it's not about what we do, but how we feel because I find that to be much less triggering.

Reactions: bleep