• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Coombs Moylett & Maclean Literary Agency (formerly Coombs Moylett) / The Fiction Editors

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an interesting one. A literary agency staffed by people who all seem to have worked for years as editors at good, big, successful publishers.

But as well as working as a literary agency they also offer paid-for editorial services to "selected authors".

I'm sure the editorial advice that they give will be good; but I cannot see how they can't spot that great big conflict of interests at the heart of their new business model.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Those that Coombs Moylett believe to show promise will be offered representation, or the option of working with one of our editors with a view to being taken on by the agency if the novel is brought to its potential.
Um, yeah. "If you pay for our editing, we might represent you after all."

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
They also say that they are one of the very few agencies that accept unsolicited manuscripts which is spectacularly untrue for UK agencies.
Despite these major red flags they appear to be a completely legit agency - they just have no idea how the website is perceived by the world.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard good reports of the editors there. But that doesn't get over the big red flags.