Get Yer YA Recommendations Here!

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a mod or anything, and I'm relatively new around here so if I'm overstepping my bounds just let me know.

Anyway, lately there's been a slew of YA book recommendation request threads for every genre of YA you can think of (the only one I didn't find is sci-fi/dystopian, which is weird considering how popular it is right now. Someone should get on that!). So many threads, in fact, I thought it'd be helpful to compile them all in one super YA book recommendation list. You're welcome.

Fantasy / Urban Fantasy / Paranormal

Really awesome urban fantasy and/or paranormal (romance optional)
Books featuring the magically fantastical and the paranormally supernatural, but in an urban (or contemporary) setting. Like: The Mortal Instruments, Paranormalcy

Something wicked this way comes...
Creepy books featuring dark fantasy (urban or otherwise) and horror. Like: The Replacement, Gone by Michael Grant, Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves

In a land far, far away...
Books featuring straight-up, secondary world fantasy. Like: Graceling or anything by Tamora Pierce

Contemporary / Non-Paranormal

Really awesome non-paranormal reads
Books for those who have OD'd on the paranormal--this list contains not a sparkly vamp or were in sight. I can't imagine OD'ing on the paranormal, but apparently it's possible (I can quit if I want, you know). Like: Jellicoe Road, Before I Fall

Contemporary YA for the youngsters
More non-paranormal, non-fantasy contemporary books, but with a slant towards a younger, less edgier audience. Like: Harriet the Spy, Godless and anything by Jerry Spinelli (I suggest Milkweed because little Stopthief/Misha made me cry)

Magical realism for the teens
Books that could be described as magical realism -- this seems to be an underrepresented genre (or is just so damn hard to pin down), so there are also some adult mentions too (because, how can you have a list of magical realism anything and *not* have Gabriel Garcia Marquez on it? Right?)

Like, OMG, Chick-Lit!
YA chick-lit, especially the funny, the biting, the snarky and sarcastic. Like: 13 Little Blue Envelopes and pretty much anything by Meg Cabot

Super Specific Premise / Theme / Character Type (may be fantasy, may be contemporary)

Where my boys at?
Books that feature a mostly male main character. Not necessarily a "boy" book or a book just for boys, but one written from a boy's POV. Like: Eragon, Paper Towns or anything written by John Green

Just like our world--but with magic!
Books that feature worlds much like our own, but where magic is just plain 'ole ordinary magic, not a secret or hidden or scoffed at as make-believe. Like: White Cat by Holly Black

Behold, the wise messenger
Books featuring the premise of wise/mysterious/dead messenger guiding our young protagonist on a series of (mis)adventures, either intentionally or not, often in the form of letters or cryptic clues that must be unraveled. Like: I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak or 13 Little Blue Envelopes

Non-homogenized books
Books featuring a diverse cast by including characters that are of other races, ethnicities, sexualities, etc. from the straight, white characters that seem to be the norm (up until post 10 or so, after which it becomes an interesting discussion on diversity in YA -- which you should totally read anyway)

The whole kit and caboodle
YA books in any genre. The list here seems to have an emphasis on all-around good YA authors to read as well specific book recommendations. Like: all of the above, I guess

Writing Skills

Finally, on the actual craft of writing
Self-explanatory really. Books to make you write better, maybe with a YA slant.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Actually I was on the verge of combining all the recent recommendation threads into one. When i saw this, my first thought was "Not another one."

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
All right, here's the sitch. I am NOT going to combine all the rec threads that are currently out there. And the reason is that the current recommendations in those threads will be jumbled up and you won't know who's recommending what to whom. You might think that the response is to the male MC rec thread and really it's a female MC in from the paranormal romance rec thread.

However. Recommendation requests go here. When making recommendations, either quote or make sure you point out who you're recommending to, since several recs might be requested at similar times (such as when 6-7 recommendation threads show up on the first page of this forum).

I'm stickying this for now, but will probably let it float in the future.

ETA: Also, may I suggest that you skim the "What YA book are you reading right now?" and "100 Book Challenge" threads if you're looking for general YA recs. This is where I get most of my recommendations.

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
I need a book suggestion...

I admit, this is an oddly specific question. I would appreciate your help though! :)

Next week, I am going to Thailand. While there, I am going to meet my "sponsor girl." She is an HIV+ orphan who has been physically and sexually abused. I'm paying for her to go to conmmunity college. She is 18 years old, and she supposedly knows some English.

I have been at a complete loss as to what to get her for my "gift," so I asked my taxi driver (yes, you read that correctly) what he thought. This was his response:

"As for a present, I've also asked my wife about it - and we think.....how about a beautiful book, a book that is not too difficult for a college student, and something you think good, deep to learn about a life? My wife is Japanese and she's always sad how little we Thai people read. Some Thai people must like reading, but most of us don't have habit to read in general and she's surpried how little we know about so-called "world literature" - I think the knowledge/imagination/pleasure from reading will enrich poeple now."

*smacks forehead* OF COURSE! A book!

But what book?

- Middle grade or YA.
- Easy read.
- Entertaining enough for a 18 y.o. girl who has possibly never read a novel in her life.
- Not part of a series unless it really really is stand-alone enough that she could never read the rest and feel satisfied. (They don't even have much access to the internet over there).
- Something that is "meaningful," or something that could be considered "great" American literature.

Thank you so much, my fabulous YA gurus!!! :)

ETA: One I'm considering so far: "The Giver"?

I also have a soft spot for Harry Potter, even though it's not American...

Other thoughts?? :Shrug:

Last edited:

ceenindee

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this falls above an "easy read" (and I think the author's Canadian?), but I immediately thought of Life of Pi by Yann Martel. It has a gripping story and a funny main character, even though the beginning is a little slow. And it's inspirational. It's one of my favorites.

Holes, by Louis Sachar, is a fantastic MG novel. I think it fits all your criteria. I like The Giver as well.

Also, I think there's something to be said for the first Harry Potter, even though it's not American and it's part of a series. There are just so many references to it, and I think it's one of the few MG novels that adults consistently enjoy. If she likes it, it sets her up with six more books to read, and if she doesn't, the ending is satsifying enough to stop right there. The Hobbit is another good easy fantasy, though, again, it's not American.

Reactions: J.A.Nielsen

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Like the Charlotte820 said, Holes is a great suggestion. I'd also recommend Bridge to Terabithia or anything by EB White. At seventeen, I still love all of those.

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
I second the recommendation for Bridge to Terabithia...

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I forgot about Life of Pi.

I will also look at Bridge to Terabithia. I'm from Virginia, so I like the idea of having a book based where I'm from. I've never read it, but two recommendations means it has to be good, right? ;)

Plus it will give me something else to read on the 23 hour flight...

Other suggestions?? :) I can bring more than one book, just don't want to bring too many because of weight.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I also love Bridge to Terabithia. But it's so sad. Maybe a happier book would be better for this girl?

In which case, I second Holes, which is just truly brilliant. :D

However, I will confess that I'm not sure a book is a good idea. I mean, "knowing some English" isn't the same as being able to read English. I know some Spanish. But I sure as heck couldn't read a novel in Spanish...

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I keep forgetting that you're looking for American literature. But if I had to suggest something non-American, I'd say the Chronicles of Narnia or Matilda. They're very elementary school though.

For more modern, yet classic reads, I'd suggest Kira-Kira, Bud, Not Buddy, or Tangerine. The first two won the Newberry and the last is required reading for 6th grade enrichment in New Mexico. They're all pretty good.

How can I forget The Catcher in the Rye? It's definitely classic and I don't think Holden is too hard to understand.

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone! :) I will look into all of these.

Smish, I have been second guessing it too. I have no idea how much English she really knows how to *read*. If it weren't for the taxi driver's suggestion, I wouldn't be looking into getting a book for her at all. But since he suggested it, I thought it might be something to include.

I'm also getting her some salt water taffy from the beach here... And if anyone has any *other* suggestions (not a book), I'm totally open to those too! I leave in a week and I'm desperate! LOL! :)

Miriel

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I ditto the brilliant recommendation of Holes.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, not Bridge To Terabithia! The kid bites it in the end. It's a downer and a half. Some wonderful easy reads with less tragic child death, mostly MG suitable for older readers, and easy YA:

Maniac Magee (has an awesome heroic orphan who is about a million times cooler than Harry Potter)
anything by Deborah Wiles
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Ninth Ward (another heroic orphan of badassedness)
One Crazy Summer
Hereville
The Search For Wond-La
Octavian Nothing
Dangerous Angels

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
I just found out Harry Potter has been Translated into Thai. I wonder if I could order it in her native language...

Hmm.

ETA: LOL!!! Okay, so Bridge to Terabithia is out. Agreed, probably not a good idea to give her such a downer book on our first meeting ;)

"Holes" is a good rec. I might stop by B&N this afternoon. Kitty, I'll also look through some of yours.

Side tangent: I'm fairly new to YA literature, but it's amazing me how much more *I* have to read! Time to fill up my Nook...

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, if you're looking for a cool gift, I am under the impression that some kinds of american candy are not readily found abroad--like the cool candies trader joe's sells, or See's Candies or similar tasty truffles. I say you can't go wrong with candy from other lands!

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Ah, cross out Kira-Kira too then. There's cancer and death in that. I'm for Holes and Where the Sidewalk Ends. Maniac Magee isn't my fav Jerry Spinelli book though. I'd say I like Stargirl, or Love, Stargirl more. They're easy to read, but deal with High School and they're very mild but inspirational. And you can't go wrong with trouffles and taffee. Popcorn might be too big of a hassle to carry, but I'm for that too. And don't forget bookmarks. You can't let someone dogear their books.

And I think it's a great thing you're doing.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A translated copy of the first Harry Potter would be excellent. :D

And I agree with Kitty -- candy is ALWAYS a good idea. What girl doesn't like candy? Also, American fashion magazines. It's always fun to flip through magazines, even if you can't read the articles! I LOVE foreign fashion mags.

And stationary might be a nice gift. That way, she'd have a way to keep in touch with you (and to write letters to other people in her life).

ceenindee

Registered
Reaction score
For more modern, yet classic reads, I'd suggest Kira-Kira, Bud, Not Buddy, or Tangerine.

Yes I was going to suggest Bud, Not Buddy! It's always been one of my favorites. I was worried the MC might be too young, but since you mention it, I'll give it a second vote. :D

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
more support for Holes, Tangerine, Maniac Magee.

a few more?

The View from Saturday
When You Reach Me
The Daydreamer by Ian McEwan--this one isn't super well-known but it's fabulous NEVER MIND I think it's British but I'm leaving it here because people should know about this book.
Johnny's In the Basement--another Louis Sachar that I adore.

But I'm going to push really hard for Weetzie Bat. It's totally weird, and bad stuff happens, but it's also in really simple language and it's an easy, quick read. But Christ, it's FANTASTIC.

and i mean it's hardly a classic or anything but i wrote this book called break and it's easy to read i think

Reactions: J.A.Nielsen

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Weetzie Bat! Dangerous Angels is a collected volume that includes Weetzie Bat and all of its sequels, five times the goodness! And yeah, the books are lyrical and very short.

EFlegen

Registered
Reaction score
A book that helped me get really into reading was "The Outsiders," the subject matter is engaging enough to entertain an 18 yr old, however, the writing style in fairly simple.

That said - if you can get Harry Potter in Thai, that is probably one of the best books to introduce her to reading for entertainment.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my god, Dangerous Angels is amazing. But I think it might be too... weird. Haha. For someone who doesn't/hasn't read a lot, it might be too much.

I agree with the recommendation for Holes, and I think the translated edition of Harry Potter would be a GREAT gift. I mean, my grandma bought me the first three books when I was eight years old and it changed my life.

I'm so happy that you're doing this! You definitely could change her life, just by giving her a book :)

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Harry Potter, The Animorphs, and Goosebumps are the first actual books(not chapter books) that I remember reading in elementary school.

I like The Outsiders too and I'd rec Rumble Fish if we were going for books with harsh topics.

And yeah, anything Louis Sachar writes is pretty awesome. Wayside, Small Steps, There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom, Dogs Don't Tell Jokes....the list goes on and on. Sachar and Spinelli are great for humor with a touch of weirdness.