The Reading Room--Story Recommendations

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Found Screwfly online and read it.

Yeah, that's good.

I'll have to find some of her stuff that she did under the Tiptree name, because the main voice in Screwfly is so very much a woman (woman character) that I don't think anyone could imagine that being written by a man.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Found Screwfly online and read it.

Yeah, that's good.

I'll have to find some of her stuff that she did under the Tiptree name, because the main voice in Screwfly is so very much a woman (woman character) that I don't think anyone could imagine that being written by a man.

My Google-fu had failed me, as I'd missed that it was online!

It's here, if anyone wants to read it. The Screwfly Solution. (I sized my browser window down to get the text all on the white side--what a shitty background set-up.)

I'll admit I was thrown within the first two paragraphs, as I couldn't figure out how we jumped from sweaty guy to housewife. I reread a few times before giving up and moving on in the hopes it would become clear. I still think it was an odd and confusing way to start.

After reading the story and comparing it to the film treatment of it, there are some marked differences. I think the director did an admirable job of updating it and actually making us care more about the characters. I have to admit, the story wins with me on concept, but I engaged far less with the characters as individuals than I did in the film version. I expected the story to be longer and much more in depth. I still think it's great, and the general idea is amazing, but I felt less for the people than I did in the filmed version, which isn't done through letters and lets you see the people all together before everything comes crashing down. I think the director took her idea and actually made some improvements, which is usually the opposite of how I feel.

I think in this case, since she did publish it under the pseudonym Raccoona Sheldon, the gender of the author was less in dispute. I do know that Harlan Ellison and a couple other people who wrote forwards to anthologies that Tiptree published in had, at one time, stressed Tiptree's maleness. One went so far, when rumors were swirling that Tiptree might have been a woman, to pick apart some writing and use pieces as examples of why the author absolutely had to be male. Whoops.

I think by the time Screwfly came out, her gender had been revealed or was about to be revealed. There were rumors, at the very least. Maybe that's why the funny pseudonym and why you felt like you were reading a woman writer. Maybe by this point, she wrote it differently than her other stuff. I haven't read anything else yet, but it'll be an interesting comparison.

I want to read more about her, too. She seems like a fascinating person. I hadn't ever heard of her until her death many years ago (she killed her husband and then herself, both in their late 80s, and they were found on the bed together holding hands), and I find myself fascinated by her in much the same way I was when I first discovered Dorothy Parker.

Shelley

Last edited:

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bloody hell.

That's a story.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
For those who like literary/general fiction, this story is well-worth reading, IMO. I didn't expect to like it, and ended up quite moved by it.

Pig Girl

I also enjoyed other stories and a poem from this issue of West Branch Wired.

Self-Portrait During a Tornado Sighting, a poem, was very good. I enjoy the stories Viola and Parentheses (I like Viola better, I think). I tried both of Tyrone Jaeger stories, but made a few paragraphs in each before I stopped--not for me. I really enjoyed the ones I've mentioned, though.

Shelley

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would like to resurrect this old thread for a moment...

The Nebula nominations are due tomorrow, and I'm working on my list of five short stories to nominate. While I do have my tentative five, I am willing to be persuaded.

Is there a story that you thought was absolutely brilliant but isn't getting the Nebula buzz? Please post the link to it here, and I will do my best to read it and consider it before making my final decisions.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Oooh, I have one. I dunno if there's a certain cutoff date for when these stories had to be released, but I thought this one from EDF was excellent, and kind of rare to find such a thought provoking flash piece.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, I have one. I dunno if there's a certain cutoff date for when these stories had to be released, but I thought this one from EDF was excellent, and kind of rare to find such a thought provoking flash piece.

It had to have been published in 2011, but I bookmarked that story to read later. 2012 awards are only a year away :)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bloody hell.

Those are so good.

In a way it's terrifying to think that my subs are up against stuff like that.
But it's sort of exhilarating too.

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Thanks for sharing your list, Alex! The only one I've read so far is "Like Origami in Water," and that was amazing.

I know exactly what you mean, Lillie. Our work goes up against wonderful stories all the time. It's intimidating, but awesome.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you read any of the stories I've linked, be sure to read The Paper Menagerie. It's out of this world.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I did. It made me almost cry. And that's the closest I get when there is someone else in the room.

I used to do origami when I was a kid. We used to make fat frogs and whack them round the classroom with ping pong bats.

I haven't thought about that for years.

Ophqui

Registered
Reaction score
If you read any of the stories I've linked, be sure to read The Paper Menagerie. It's out of this world.

Wow! I've just started trying to write, this story makes me want to eat my own hands because I'll never write anything so good. Fantastic story