Howdunit - Police Procedure and Investigation

acelticdream

Just me ... dreaming and writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I received my copy today from a 3rd party seller on Amazon, new condition, but less $ than a new book.

Just reading through Chapter 2, Police Academy ... I wonder how the majority of the cops are on the street if they have to pass written tests with 100%, etc. LOL

The point of this post to point out some cute things the author, Lee Lofland, mentioned.

Page 10, bottom ... talks about Ranks being lettered on squad cars: lieutenant, captain, etc. To paraphrase, he goes on to say, in a quite serious voice, that this helps the patrol cops to know their boss is coming and to look busy. So, instead of reading a crime novel while waiting for speeders, they should be doing paperwork or some such.

*chuckles*

I'm just starting Chapter 3 right now. But I saw a few of those little moments thus far.

For those who have read the book, what are your favorite little tongue-in-cheek moments from the author?

Anything else in the book you would like to point out so we don't miss it?

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like a good book to have for reference. I've been thinking I need to get acquainted with my local police station, make some contacts there. I'm writing a cozy, so don't need much detail, but still want to get the flavor right.

acelticdream

Registered
Reaction score
I'll definitely be buying the Forensics title in this series at a later date.

I live in a small town in a rural county, but my novel takes place at Homicide Division in Chicago. SOOooooo, small town police and sheriff offices won't be my best bet when it comes to consulting. However, I will hit them up in case they spot something obvious that I said/did wrong. My husband and I are friends with both the Police Chief and Sheriff. Plus, my Dad is a retired officer.

Chapter 4 of this book talks about Detectives - how they get to that position, their duties, etc.

Ch. 5 is Arrest and Search Procedures
Ch. 6 is Homicide, Murder, and Manslaughter
Ch. 7 is Crime Scene Investigation

There are a total of 16 chapters plus 4 Appendices

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of this book before but held off buying it purely because I'm assuming it's specific to American law enforcement? Is that right? If so it's not currently of any use to me, since I'm working with a completely different justice and legal system. I managed to track down a couple of police manuals (thankfully in English) though and they had some of the academy tests included at the back, which was interesting.

acelticdream

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in replying - had unexpected guests and then dinner.

It does say in the first paragraph of his Acknowledgments, towards the beginning of the book -

"Each page is a partnership of thoughts, memories, training, talents, and the combined experience of many law enforcement professionals, writers, medical experts, manufacturers of police equipment, and friends and family from all across the United States and Great Britain."
But his Author's Note talks about how laws and such differ from state to state and within local governments. It starts with "the laws of our country ..."

So, I would gather this book deals primarily with United States law enforcement. There might be a mention of UK police procedures from time to time, but I haven't come across such a reference yet as of Chapter 5.

Hopefully someone who had read the book can further comment.

JayWalloping

writing fast and loving it
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how the majority of the cops are on the street if they have to pass written tests with 100%, etc. LOL

I knew a man who got hired on as a county sheriff's deputy. He was excited about it before he went off to the state police academy. He came back a bit disillusioned about the schooling. He mentioned that some of the teachers made clear what would be on the tests. It also sounded like there were some grading irregularities in a class a year before he went. He still heard the gossip 12 months after.

A 100% score doesn't mean a lot unless you can trust the people doing the scoring.