General anime discussion thread

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else watching SSSS Gridman? It's Trigger's take on Ultraman. The mecha/Kaiju battles have been brief but beautifully animated. The designs are all incredible. I'm not quite sure how to describe the tone. It's kind of contemplative, which is a weird but intriguing combination with city destroying battles. But I kind of love it so far (though I'm an easy sell considering my high regard for their previous work).

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else watching SSSS Gridman? It's Trigger's take on Ultraman. The mecha/Kaiju battles have been brief but beautifully animated. The designs are all incredible. I'm not quite sure how to describe the tone. It's kind of contemplative, which is a weird but intriguing combination with city destroying battles. But I kind of love it so far (though I'm an easy sell considering my high regard for their previous work).

I didn't initially watch it, but then nearly everyone sang it's praises and I picked it up. The story is decent, the characters are fun, but most of all it's just fun to look at. (Also, Gridman was a series in 90ies, and there's an American series based on it, "Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad", and if you combine them you get SSSS Gridman.)

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
Izuku from Hero Academia is growing on me.

YAAAASSS! My cinnamon bun :)

@Dawnstorm Ah, so that's where the SSSS comes from. I was wondering. I knew about the 90s inspiration, but that was illuding me

Last edited:

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
What have people been watching this season? Promised Neverland and Mob Psycho Season 2 are seriously blowing me away. Love is war might be me new favorite rom com ;)

And it only took five and a half seasons but I am FINALLY on board for Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure!

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Mob Psycho 100 is my favourite show of the season, while I find Neverland merely okay (it's also very bad for my motion sickness; a lot queasy making camera movements). Love is War is great fun.

Apart from that, I really like Dororo and My Roommate Is a Cat (cat behaviour is so spot-on in this show!).

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
Dororo and Neverland are both fairly good. And That Time I Reincarnated as a Slime has made my guilty pleasures list, although objectively it isn't all that great. Also watching the second cours of Karakuri Circus and, well, about ten other things, as usual.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I like Slime though it's coming with diminishing returns, as him effortlessly winning over anyone starts to come at the cost of character variety. I'm charmed, too, though, so who am I to complain. Karakuri Circus is decent, but it changes direction so often that I find it hard to actually get into it. The story also seems less suited to shounen roaring than the mangaka's other work Ushiro to Tora. But I'm still pretty involved, and the cast is likable.

If we're talking second cour shows, which I forgot, I just have to mention Run with the Wind: an excellent show about an oddball team running a famous and not-too-easy marathon. Love it.

Here's a list of everthing I'm still watching this season, in rough order of preference:

Mob Psycho 100
Dororo
Kaguya sama - Love is War
Run With the Wind
My Roommate is a Cat
Endro
Slime
Gotobun no Hanayome
Kemurikusa
Meiji Tokyo Renka
Neverland
Mononokean 2
Price of Smiles
Karakuri Circus
Ueno-san wa Bukiyou
Manaria Friends
Boogiepop
Shield Hero
Colorful Pastrale
Wataten
3-D Kanojo
Domestic na Kanojo

I have no idea where to slot Rinshii Ekoda-chan, as with wildly different styles due to the show's concept, the show's wildly uneven for me. And I'm still waiting for Piano no Mori to drop (Netflix detention), and I hope to find Hulaing Babies, as the art is cute and colourful, and what little I've seen it's fairly surreal, too.

Alexys

Registered
Reaction score
So, another season has started. I'm currently wondering how even Ikuhara could have pitched something like Sarazanmai in a way that would make a bunch of stodgy studio execs willing to fund it. Other than that, Fairy Gone is proving mildly interesting, although I don't think it was a great idea to air it this quarter—the second cours is going to end up overlapping with the anime version of To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts if it airs next quarter as predicted, and there are quite a few similarities between the two. I'm also watching the usual assortment of continuations from previous seasons and mediocre shounen.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Not the best of seasons; I'm watching less than I've watched in years. Still on with Dororo. Sarazanmai is okay, but I'm not sure yet. I liked Yuri Kuma Arashi and was okay with Penguindrum; we'll see. Fairy Gone is okay, but my favourite premiers are Mix (no surprises if you've seen either Cross Game or Touch), Hitori Bocchi and Senryu Shoujo. Carol and Tuesday is okay, too; good with music but so-so with plot. Beyond that I'm struggling. Magmel is really just a series of simple morality tales right now, but I'm still somewhat drawn to it. Other than that, not sure.

Last edited:

Alexys

Registered
Reaction score
Magmel I watched one episode of and then dropped (it didn't help that the translation was terrible—never touching that subber again). It looks like the shows that made the top of your list are ones I skipped altogether because the subject matter didn't interest me. Still watching Dororo, Tate no Yuusha, Fairy Tail, Karakuri Circus, and the new seasons of Bungou Stray Dogs and Shingeki no Kyoujin. (Also still watching Black Clover, although more because I needed something to fill a timeslot after dropping Magmel and YU-NO than because it's ever been any good. The remainder of the junk bin consists of Kimetsu no Yaiba, Shoumetsu Toshi, RobiHachi, Kenja no Mago, and Mayonaka no Occult Koumuin, none of which have so far risen above the level of "predictable brain candy".)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I can't say you're missing much with Magmel. I'm not watching Fairy Tale. I can't watch Kimetsu no Yaiba because it triggers motion sickness (UFO table shows are worst-risk shows for me). I've dropped Shoumetsu Toshi and RobiHachi, though I'm not sure for how long. The rest I'm still watching. I'm also still watching YU-NO, but only because I'd be watching nothing else in its time-slot.

I've been enjoying the first ark of Bungou Stray Dogs quite a bit, and I wish I had read more of the authors.