General anime discussion thread

Always Newbie

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, so oldschool! Aren't you irritated with the quality? (maybe you'll motivate me to watch something like that :D )

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
Lol, I watched the transformation sequences and was turned off by the CGI. It reminded me of Digimon Adventure's Tri's evolutions: not flattering.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Yes, I have. I doubt there will be a season two because the man who played the father died either last year or earlier this year.

Aww, I'm afraid to tell my husband. He was most hoping for a second season.

Currently, we're watching Kill la Kill. The art style is fascinating. The world is unique. I like the MC but am wary about the uniforms. The "first blood" one reminds me of (a more conscientious version of) Vampire Hunter D's Left Hand, so maybe it will... grow on me.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Gin Tama.

Anyone else got their No. 1 anime that’s been with them for years?

Best anime ever!

What's everyone watching now?
I'll need to catch up after moving, but I have Tokyo Ghoul S3 and Attack on Titan S3. Anyone watching Banana Fish?

There's a few more I watch but not sure if anyone would be interested in those.

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
Kill la Kill is one of my favorite anime ever!! I love it so much. Such great art, characters, story. I could rave for days.

Just finished S3 of Overlord, which was excellent. And of course the on going journey that is One Piece.

I think Gintama is fun. Not my favorite, but my husband loves it. Honestly, I like the voice cast a lot. And the period setting is fun. Sadly I'm not widely read enough in Shounen Jump to get most of the in jokes

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
Oh! Also Golden Kamuy S2 just started. I never knew I needed a historical drama/comedy/thriller/mystery/cooking show in my life but turns out I did. This show is an absolute gem. And one of the leads is Ainu.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
There's a few more I watch but not sure if anyone would be interested in those.

You'll never know unless you reveal them. Either people will talk or they won't. The people who overlapped with my taste seem to have moved on from this thread, but this is my top 5 of the current season:

1. Run with the Wind
2. Irodoku Sekai Ashita no Kara
3. Bloom into You
4. Zombieland Saga
5. Tensai Shitara Slime Datta Ken

Looks like a better season than summer to me, but the first is still the best season of the year to me.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
What's everyone watching now?
I'll need to catch up after moving, but I have Tokyo Ghoul S3 and Attack on Titan S3. Anyone watching Banana Fish?

Bleach, which is much better than I'd expected.

Forest of Piano (on Netflix US) is what I've jumped to after tiring of Your Lie in April.

I haven't seen Tokyo Ghoul yet, don't know of Banana Fish, and can't handle Attack on Titan. Giant zombies... nope, pretty jackets don't make up for that.

The animated Godzilla is excellent, though.

jmurray2112

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations. I was big into it from 2002-13, but then life intervened. Any type with a good story line. Mecha, Slice-of-Life, whatever. Last series in the wild was Hyouka. After that, it was re-watching stuff in my collection, from Miyazaki, and Shinkai on down.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations. I was big into it from 2002-13, but then life intervened. Any type with a good story line. Mecha, Slice-of-Life, whatever. Last series in the wild was Hyouka. After that, it was re-watching stuff in my collection, from Miyazaki, and Shinkai on down.

Hyouka was great. Let's see, after that:

Shin Sekai Yori: SF Dystopia: man evolves psychic powers. Starts out with the main characters as children (and as horror/mystery) and ends with the characters in their midtwenties (full-blown epic). This is a must-see. Maybe you won't like it, but if you do you can't afford to miss this one.

Uchouten Kazoku: Magical Kyouto. Tanuki roam the earth, tengu rule the sky. And humans have built a big city. When a group of humans, the Friday Fellows, cook the tanuki Nisemon in a hotpot, it sets the city in turmoil. Who will take the illustrous position? The family grieves for the father. The eldest tries to follow in father's footsteps and get himself elected the Nisemon. The second son lives as a frog in a well, and has forgotten how to transform. The third son lives a happy-go-lucky life in the city; after all what is fun is good. He's also the one to take care of Akadama sensei, the tengu who due to an accident can no longer fly. And he's also the one who still has contact to the tengu's daughter, a human woman who Akadama sensei abducted. She's currently occupying the seat of Benten in the Friday Fellows and took part in the eating of his father. Life is strange and relationships aren't straightforward. But the fool's blood runs through the tanuki's veins, and what is fun is good. (This might be my favourite anime of all time; my entire attitude to life is contained there-in.

Kyousougiga: A girl with a magical hammer bursts through the borders into a magical Kyouto contained within a wall-scroll, searching for a rabbit. Mirror Kyouto is ruled by a trio of siblings - a youkai, a priest, and a monk - who each mourn the departure of their parents in their own ways. Could they be searching for the same thing. There's an older series of OVAs, which has bits and pieces of the story, but is completely incoherent. I loved it to bits, and when in 2013 they made it into a TV series I was excited. The TV version loses a little (but not much) of the OVAs anarchy, but more than makes up for it with a coherent and touching story. The TV series catches up fairly quickly with the OVAs and brings the story to a very satisfying conclusion.

Ping Pong the Animation: Two friends are playing ping pong. One extremely motivated and competitive, the other extemely talented but not caring much for competition. A very intricate and subtle sports show about what it means to play, and what it means to win.

Natsuyuki Rendesvouz: A young man falls in love the widow of a florist, who's shop she still runs. He decides to confess, but there's a problem: the florists shop is still haunted by the husband's ghosts, who only the young man can see, and the ghost is torn between making his wife take over and staying with her forever. The oddest love-triangle you're likely to see.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: An ex-convict seeks out a famous Rakugoka (on-stage storytelling/comedy) who once performed in prison to become his apprentice. Surprisingly, and for the first time in his life, the rakugo master takes him in. Why? He reminds him of his dead friend. Season 1 is mostly about the past, while season 2 is about the present. This is the other must-see on this list. If you don't like it, you've lost a little time. But if you don't check it out, you lose out on one of the decade's master pieces.

White Album 2: A straightforward love triangle, but to my mind it sets the benchmark.

I'm sure I forgot some, and there are plenty of great shows a tier below, but these should be best story-driven shows 2012/13+.

LesFewer

Registered
Reaction score
Mob Psycho 100, One Punch Man are two animes from the same creator. They're funny and quirky so you'll like them if you like that kind of thing. They're newer too.