Hand lotion from scratch

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm kinda winging it here...

I've soaked chamomile and calendula in almond oil for a few weeks then strained it. I've got locally sourced beeswax.

The general process/recipe I've seen is melting equal weights of wax and oil together, put them in a blender or processor until they've cooled and started to set, then whir in an equal weight of some water based liquid.

I can get distilled water at the drug store... but could I make chamomile tea and add it instead?

And if I'm not adding anything to preserve, do I have to sterilize the jars?

Help?

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i'd say the tea would fit the water-based description, and it's not adding new ingredients.

Personally, i'd want to serialize anything from a store if I planed to use it for holding food or something for my body for a long time. never know who's sneezed on what...

To preserve small batches of your recipes like creams and lotions, add 6 drops per ounce of cream or oil, or 1/3 teaspoon per cup of grapefruit seed extract. Also use antiseptic essential oils such as rose, clove, rosemary or lavender. 3 drops per ounce.
Use only pure essential oils. Buy your oils from a trustworthy source and beware of cheap essential oils. Prices of essential oils vary greatly and are subject to fluctuation and few are inexpensive.
source

Last edited:

pezie

Registered
Reaction score
I have no advice, but I want to try and do this! You'll have to tell us about your results.