How do you keep track of submissions?

Lapinou

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone use any free submission tracking software or websites? Or what are other ways of doing it?

<novice>

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I use a simple spreadsheet. Others might like something more advanced but a spreadsheet works for me.

Reaction score
Aye, Excel is enough for me. It's not like I'm churning out book after book anyway (I wish). It's easy enough to keep track of the one or two I usually have on submission at once.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I use a combination of two things:

Post Its with the name of the agent and what they require on them (i.e., eQuery, Synopsis). Then I just rearrange the Post Its into whatever order I want, such as agents who all want the same thing.

Every submission gets noted on an idea map/mind map, handwritten. I don't use spreadsheets or lists--I don't do sequential really well so lists are diffcult for me to work with.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've tried a bunch of submisssion software, but I keep going back to pencil and paper. It's easier. I have a template clipped from Writer's Market about twenty years ago, and I just keep making copies when I start to run out of pages.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I have a book. Each thing I submit gets a page and I note submissions/responses on that page. I have a separate book ready for novels, which I'll format a bit differently.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
Generally I use a spreadsheet as well.

But I also find Duotrope.com quite handy for poems and short stories, and any submissions you add on there go into their statistics for each market.
It's nice to know you're adding to information that can help fellow writers.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I write it down on paper, a list for each book, with lines for who it was sent to, when, and then if I got a response/request

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Excel spreadsheet with a different tab for each book.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I use plain old Word docs, one for short stories, one each for novels.

I also have a handwritten list of what story is out where and when it was subbed, which hangs next to the computer. I have seven in circulation at the moment, so I tend to forget what's where and whether I need to nudge yet.

Spreadsheets work fine, too.

I've never cared for online tracking systems. I like my own idiosyncratic set-up. But the only thing that matters is that YOUR tracking system makes sense to you and keeps you on track.

KyraDune

Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kyradune.weebly.com
I use a Quattro Pro 10 spreadsheet for current submissions and a Word Perfect document to keep track of where I've sent things in the past so that I don't send them to the same place twice.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Duotrope.com plus I keep a notepad note in the folder for each sub on my PC with a reminder of the date a response shouldbe due by.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I bit the bullet and started using Excel about six weeks ago. I still prefer pen and paper, but after decades, it was just getting too unwieldy. I use the Google Docs Excel template. This gives me the same file online and off.

jacket

Registered
Reaction score
I too am an excel spreadsheet user. It's simple. It works.

GFanthome

At the computer, opening a vein
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
I have to agree with all the others who mentioned Excel or any other kinds of spreadsheets. Think of all the info you want to track and put that as each header. The key is to remember to always keep it updated! For example, the minute you receive a rejection letter, add that info to the spreadsheet.

DSA

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Excel here, too. I have one worksheet for submissions and another for agent names and pertinent information about each agent as I research them.