How do you keep track of submissions?

punahougirl84

Registered
Reaction score
I just created and printed a chart with five columns: Story Name, Sent to, Date Sent, Date of Response, Response.

They are clipped in a three-hole pocket folder. I keep a changing list of stories that need to be resent too.

JWNolen

Registered
Reaction score
I keep a separate file of the emails I've sent out. Haven't started sending paper copies yet.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I sub mostly short stories, and use excel. I use the title of each story as the header, and beneath the title goes the name of the anthology or publisher to which I submitted. Highlight the square in red for a rejection and add the name of the next place underneath when I re-sub. Once it sells, I copy the entire thing onto the next page, where it also gets a line for sale price, when it gets paid, what rights I have sold, and when they revert. Once rights revert to me, or if a story has not sold, it ALSO goes into a new page of my spreadsheet to track content, genre, and rights available so that I can see what finished stories I have available to sub at a glance.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Thread resurrections. gotta love 'em.

When I was a short story writer and always had ten or thirty envelopes out there (ahh, big envelopes with that fold crease in the center...nostalgia break) I made a pen and grid-paper chart, with magazines in prestige/pay order along one axis, story first word along the other, and a little "/" at submission that turned into an "X" at rejection.

In addition, I had a 3x5 index card box where each magazine got its own card. I'd write the story names on it, the sub date, the return date, and any name of an editor who'd signed a personal rejection, other notes on mag.

This was back in the days before I had spreadsheet software, so it was my only option.

I did novel queries five years back snail mail, and all I did was save all cover letters in a doc and imbedded a comment when I got a rejection. This time, email only, so I'll just make a Word doc: agent, agency, date sent, response (if any).

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
I use a table in Word/Open Office Writer. At the moment I have one unwieldy document with all my short stories and notes about longer projects that I'm working on, or might work on again in the future.

For each short story, I compile a list of possible markets, and put them in order of preference before I start sending the story out. The list always changes, but the idea is that when the story comes back I know right away where to send it next.

I also use Duotrope for what's already been sent out, but I like having the market list for future subs on hand. I should probably switch to using a spreadsheet, but I like the look of the tables in Word much better.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I use excel. I just listed them chronologically, a new line for each new submission, but that didn't help me keep track by story.

I found a template that someone here had created. I forget who. But it was pretty nice and I use that. I can quickly see by story where I sent it and where each is.

I wonder if you do a search for excel or story tracker or submission tracker if you could find it.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a folder for each project with an Excel spreadsheet in it to keep track of who, what, where, and why. That way, I can keep a hardcopy of the query letter and any rejections in one place.

henmatth

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I personally think simple is best. Word is the way to go for me.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I use a notebook, MS Outlook (tasks) and QueryTracker. Overkill I know LOL

Heh. I have a mysql database with a hand-built web-based perl front end. And an excel spreadsheet for backup. That's overkill. :)

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
I use Story Tracker for iPad and LOVE it. The free version is truly just a sample so you can see how it works. The full was inexpensive, however, it keeps track of unlimited amounts of subs, markets, and stories. And it sends me reminders. Yes.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I used Excel and Querytracker for agency subs for a while, but QT was useless for UK agents. Now I stick with Excel, and a plain old Google Docs document when I'm too lazy for spreadsheets.

Heh. I have a mysql database with a hand-built web-based perl front end. And an excel spreadsheet for backup. That's overkill. :)

That's beautiful. I'm in awe.

RensPen

Registered
Reaction score
I have been keeping mine on paper like so:
Agent name, agency, and submission guidelines
if interested will hear back-such and such date

Then once I receive a response I tick off names with different colored highlighters. Orange for "No's" (I picked orange because its bright and would draw my attention quickly) blue for "No response"(if past response date, or two months) green for "yes"(green means go :)

tylersmama

Registered
Reaction score
I am only just stepping out with my first novel which I began submitting last month and so far, just have a word document with the agents I have sent to, what I sent, and when. Working pretty well so far but then I only have a list of eight at the moment.

Saphron

Registered
Reaction score
selfmade database? o_O wow!!
Like a lot of people above, I made an excel spreadsheet for agent research and submission/reception dates. But for short stories I actually really like submittable's GUI (omg, does anyone even say that anymore?). You can tab away from rejections for your "active" window. It's my optimism window:)

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
I use a submissions manager on iPad called Story Tracker. it's cheap and awesome. Since I do a lit of freelance writing, it helps with keeping track of publication dates and payments too. It was the 2nd app I downloaded on the new pad.