Asimov's June Issue

Quique

Registered
Reaction score
The June issue is the first issue of Asimov's that I have purchased. So far, I've only read the short stories, the poetry and the departments sections. I don't have much to comment on the poetry or the departments sections, but I'd like to write my thoughts on the short stories:

All the News That's Fit by Carol Emshwiller.

I liked the way it was written, as I was able to read it all without getting bored. However, I don't think it was that interesting or memorable. I had to reread the ending before posting this to remember what happened. I like the main character and I like the setting.

Walking Stick Figures by Alan DeNiro.

I didn't like this story. The main characters are kind of funny and the action is entertaining, but I just don't see the point of the story. The main thing I got out of this story was the nice concept of the Being. That was a cool creature.

Apocalypse Daily by Felicity Shoulders.

I read this first, as it seemed the most interesting. I think the author pulled off the videogame part of the story quite well. The ending had a nice punch too. However, I think the end came a little too soon, I wished we would have seen a little more of the protagonist. The ending came a bit too abruptly for me.

The Fighter by Colin P. Davies.

Out of the four short stories this month, this was the one I liked the most. I was tense about the situation, the cops having to decide to "shoot" the boxer or not. I don't quite understand what happened at the end, but I did enjoy reading this short story.

Whenever I read the novelette and the novella, I'll post my thoughts on them too. Looking forward to read what others thought of the stories.

Quique

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished another story:

The Cold Step Beyond by Ian R. MacLeod.

This story was very good. The main character Bess is an interesting character. I enjoyed reading the story and the ending had some ideas I hadn't seen in stories before. I enjoyed this story very much, I'd recommend it.