In mourning for The Killing

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
OK, fully prepared to accept that no-one here will know what I'm talking about.

But I'm bereft after the 10 weeks of the serial drama 'The Killing', ended last Saturday. It was about the murder of a teenage girl (I usually avoid such things), and the effect the investigation had on the family, the police (ah, Det. Sarah Lund, I have such a girl-crush! Though I wanted to slap you at times) and the politicians trying to win an election and caught up in suspicion.

A Danish production, with subtitles and all, it was brilliant, with twists and turns and wit and angst and realism. The acting was wonderful. The writers tortured you in ways that may qualify them for serious psychiatric investigation. I cried when a character I didn't even like at first got killed. I wanted to slap a character I loved at times (yes, Sarah Lund, investigative goddess, stubborn bint, wearer of horrid jumpers that she somehow made look cool).

THAT's how to do a murder mystery. America's getting a re-make, but they're having to change the identity of the murderer because of all the 'Killing' geeks online activity.

Anyway, had to vent my sadness as no two people in the same postcode appear to have watched it.

Those of us who did, though, are stunned. Go on, check out the thread on digitalspy. BUT BE CAREFUL IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHO DID IT, BRIT VIEWERS WHO MIGHT GET A REPEAT SHOWING. (US ARE GETTING A DIFFERENT MURDERER...HMMM...)

As you were.

Last edited:

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It's a show I heard about after it had been on for a while. I thought it sounded great. I'm keeping an eye out, and if it's shown again here, I'll definitely be watching it.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Its viewing figures were great for BBC4. I'm tempted to say that had it been on a more popular channel, it would have been a big hit, but 20-parter AND subtitles? That would have put off a lot of potential viewers.

But I INSIST you watch it if it comes on again, Sophia. :) You'll thank me.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
So, the show that's going to be on AMC in the States is a remake? Sounds interesting -- but I always like to see the original.
If you possibly can - DVD or whatever - do.

Spiral, a French murder-detective series, started on Sat, will watch it on Catch-up. But I miss Sarah Lund and her jumpers. (weeps)

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
Shoot! The American remake premiered yesterday and I forgot to record it. Hopefully AMC will show it again. I'd rather see the original, but I don't see it available anywhere.

ETA: I love the internet. I was able to set my DVR remotely to record it the next time it's on. :D

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
If you possibly can - DVD or whatever - do.

Spiral, a French murder-detective series, started on Sat, will watch it on Catch-up. But I miss Sarah Lund and her jumpers. (weeps)

Jumpers is another word for sweaters, right?

It will eventually be on here in the USA.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Jumpers is another word for sweaters, right?

It will eventually be on here in the USA.
Oh, yeah, sorry - sweaters! Hope you do get to see the original. I did a little imagining of a UK remake and i couldn't see any of our actors doing such a good, subtle job. Mind you, the actress playing Sarah 'Sweater' Lund said the director had to keep reminding her to damp down the acting.

One of my favourite small drop-in parts is when her partner Jan Meyer's wife delivers bananas (for his hypo-glycaemia) to his and Sarah's shared office and tries to be all girlie with Sarah, telling her to make sure Jan eats them. The look on Sarah's face! Totally alien to the whole nurturing concept. And then later she eats all the bananas! And then when Jan asks her if she ate his 'nanas, does her 'I don't want to answer that question, so I'll act like I didn't hear it,' thing (the thing that makes my slap-hand itch). Priceless.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I have the Danish TV version of The Killing on DVD, but haven't watched it yet.

After seeing the fabulous Unit One and The Eagle series, I'm addicted to all things Danish. These shows are good as anything I've seen on TV from anywhere.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'm loving the US version, though I've heard the original is better.

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, sorry - sweaters! Hope you do get to see the original. I did a little imagining of a UK remake and i couldn't see any of our actors doing such a good, subtle job. Mind you, the actress playing Sarah 'Sweater' Lund said the director had to keep reminding her to damp down the acting.

One of my favourite small drop-in parts is when her partner Jan Meyer's wife delivers bananas (for his hypo-glycaemia) to his and Sarah's shared office and tries to be all girlie with Sarah, telling her to make sure Jan eats them. The look on Sarah's face! Totally alien to the whole nurturing concept. And then later she eats all the bananas! And then when Jan asks her if she ate his 'nanas, does her 'I don't want to answer that question, so I'll act like I didn't hear it,' thing (the thing that makes my slap-hand itch). Priceless.

Sounds delightful. I'll look forward to seeing it. (My favorite jumper is navy and is plain but it fits well.)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I'm loving the US version, though I've heard the original is better.
Yes, I must say that if they can maintain the quality of the pilot throughout the series they will have a real winner on their hands.

I think it is worth pointing out however, that it is less a US version than an American version. The show is very Canadian.

Curfew Gull

Feeding my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
The Killing

I wasn't going to watch this, because of the subject matter, but there wasn't anything else on last Sunday, so I got hooked. PBS was doing the Civil War. This current version is very well acted and directed, and I'm still a little disappointed in myself for getting hooked by a show that does go the sensationalist (sex, bloody murder, teen-age girl - all mixed together to make it more eye-catching) route.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Sensationalist? Eh?

That's one thing I would say it isn't. It's not just about the crime or about the detectives. It's also about the effect Nanna's murder has on her family. The original was heart-breaking at times. There was a scene where her father broke down and sobbed his heart out in a petrol station toilet. I and nearly everyone watching sobbed along with him.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I watched the first 90 minutes and then bailed. It was good but even very good teen girl murder mystery with vague political implications does feel a bit familiar. I was insufficiently sure that it was going to do something different with the usual suspects.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Mate! You missed out. You should have stuck with it. It was definitely different.

Curfew Gull

Feeding my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
The Killing

Sensationalist? Eh?

That's one thing I would say it isn't. It's not just about the crime or about the detectives. It's also about the effect Nanna's murder has on her family. The original was heart-breaking at times. There was a scene where her father broke down and sobbed his heart out in a petrol station toilet. I and nearly everyone watching sobbed along with him.

Ah, I'm probably more squeemish (msp?) than the average Jane. But, the last scene of Sunday's ep (don't want to spoil -) seemed a bit sensationalist to me. And you are right, there is quite a lot of very good acting, and parent anguish, etc. My problem is the other, the plot, and the harping on just what horrible things were done to the teen before she died, etc. etc. etc. And of course these horrible things will be revisited probably again, and again, and again through out the Series.

So, to me, that is a bit like beating the dead teenager, to get more people to watch ... but it does the opposite for me.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I found it reminiscent of Twin Peaks--without Bob (at least, I hope without Bob).

Ermmmm.... are you sure you've got the right programme? LOL!

Curfew, I see what you mean but I think it may be your squeamishness coming in to play. I honestly didn't think they harped on the details of Nanna's murder more than any other crime drama would. Less than some, in fact.

Yes, sometimes it could be brutal. But murder is brutal. It tears families to pieces. And I don't think they sensationalised that at all.

It wasn't CSI, which plays down the horror and nastiness of murder to the point where they disappear. It was unflinching but it didn't treat Nanna's death like a tabloid story either.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Ermmmm.... are you sure you've got the right programme? LOL!

Curfew, I see what you mean but I think it may be your squeamishness coming in to play. I honestly didn't think they harped on the details of Nanna's murder more than any other crime drama would. Less than some, in fact.

Yes, sometimes it could be brutal. But murder is brutal. It tears families to pieces. And I don't think they sensationalised that at all.

It wasn't CSI, which plays down the horror and nastiness of murder to the point where they disappear. It was unflinching but it didn't treat Nanna's death like a tabloid story either.
But Curfew is in America - they might have 'icked' it up. I was hoping not, but there you go. I agree that its restraint, whilst not flinching, is one of the original's strengths.

I started watching 'Spiral', the French murder mystery in the slot vacated by 'The Killing', last week. It's also about a teen-girl murder but I was hoping it would have the same class. No such luck. They showed (and kept showing) the full mutilation of the girl. And the police are all shouty and cry-y and it really isn't as good at all. I'm not going to stick with that one. It takes a lot to make me watch anything with teen-girl murder as its basis, and 'Spiral' is way too prurient for me.

I'd be interested to find out who the murderer is in the American version fo 'The Killing'.

Screenscope, you have a treat in store with the Danish version.

Last edited:

Said The Sun

foremost, for prose
Registered
Reaction score
No idea what you're talking about, but that mini picture of Tom Hardy is enough for me. Yes siree! :D

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
But Curfew is in America - they might have 'icked' it up. I was hoping not, but there you go. I agree that its restraint, whilst not flinching, is one of the original's strengths.

Yes, of course! I forgot they saw a remake in America. I was talking about the original.

Sorry Curfew.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
No idea what you're talking about, but that mini picture of Tom Hardy is enough for me. Yes siree! :D
The boy certainly is a distraction....I wonder what he'd look like in a nasty sweater.