What format do Western readers prefer?

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Here's another question of interest to me. Does the average reader of westerns embrace the new technology of e-books when purchasing their reading materials, or do they tend to be like me, as an older reader, and prefer a print edition to hold in their hands? I sort of still have the bias that if I don't have something physical to hold onto, I don't actually own the book. Anybody else have an opinion?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an oldster. If I read a book for pleasure, I want it to be pleasurable which means I wouldn't be sitting in front of a computer screen or holding a computer reader in my hands. I haven't tried any of the readers, but from the little I know about them, they sound about as much fun as my first experience with bifocals and limited field of view. But, as I said, I'm an oldster. Puma

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Puma:

You echo my sentiments pretty much, but I have to admit, I did get used to reading off a screen after doing 15-20 complete editing read-throughs on my novel. Whereas it used to drive me nuts, make me lose patience and skip whole blocks of text, I can now read on a screen with little trouble. I still like holding and having the printed form better though.

At 55, I am probably in your age bracket, so the question was meant to give me some insight as to whether publishing as an e-book would have much point to it. If readers of westerns aren't embracing the technology, there wouldn't be much incentive to go that route.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
jdm - I've seen some statistics (and they are available on the net if you do some searching) on the demographics of the reading (and book buying) population. The over 50 group is where it is (and for some perverse reason, the publishers keep pumping out books that appeal to the under 30 group).

But, knowing the over 50 group is more inclined to read and buy books, it's pretty obvious conventional books are preferable - if the author has that option for printing, meaning he or she has a conventional publisher who is willing to publish the book and advertise/promote it. If you're going it alone, you probably have a better chance at a market going e-book.

Hope that answers your question. Puma

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Puma:

Pretty much what I surmised, but have the demographics for readers of westerns shifted to the under 40 crowd in any significant degree? Is the grandeur and independent spirit of the West, so vital in making our nation the democracy it is (or once was), being lost on the younger generation? I remember sitting down in front of of the tv with my three year-old to watch the "Cowboys of Moo Mesa" on Saturday morning cartoons in an attempt to get him interested in the mythos of the Old West, only to find that when he got to be a year or two older, "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" had drawn him away from any interest in cowboys and the like.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi jdm - Not 100% sure, but my impression is the interest in the old west here on AW is primarily in the "over the hill gang" - well, maybe not quite over the hill. Unfortunately, the younger writers who seem to have any interest at all want to add a sci-fi/fantasy dimension that makes me ... (you can fill in your own word).

And, the market for westerns is very slim. I think there are only about 6 agents on agentquery who even list western as a genre they'd consider; the majority of agents list westerns as a genre they absolutely don't want.

One of the options you might want to look at is contests. There are a few that do offer publication - Hillerman for a short story and I know I've seen a couple others that include novel length manuscripts.

I know you're new to AW, but if you haven't found your way to Share Your Work yet (a little farther down the main page), you might want to pop in there and take a look at what's been posted recently in western - almost very bottom of the SYW page. After you get past 50 posts, you can post something there for people to comment on if you'd like. Puma

ElisabethF

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm young, and I read classic Westerns in both book and ebook format. One thing that I've especially liked about my Kindle is that I can download older books that have lapsed into public domain for free, off places like Project Gutenberg, rather than having to read them off a computer screen, which is really hard on the eyes. A Kindle screen is totally different.

But more to the point on your original question - if the younger generation does prefer ebooks, perhaps having more Westerns available in that format would draw some more interest to the genre? I don't know. My taste in books isn't conventional according to modern standards, so I may not be the best authority. :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Good points, Elizabeth!

Can I ask - how is a Kindle screen totally different? I've only seen pictures of them on places like Amazon. Thanks for any info. Puma

A.V. Hollingshead

Vive la révolution littéraire!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ophiucha.tumblr.com
Kindle screens use 'e-ink' technology. The best way I can describe it is that the screen is to a computer what an etch-a-sketch is to a Nintendo DS. Though it is done digitally (and shaking a Kindle doesn't erase the page), I would say it is functionally very similar to the etch-a-sketch in terms of what staring at it looks like.

Anyway, I'm 19, and I basically never use ebooks. I might keep one for reference materials, since those are the bulkiest of my books and the ones I won't be reading straight through for hours, but for my fiction, I stick to paper.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I ask - how is a Kindle screen totally different? I've only seen pictures of them on places like Amazon. Thanks for any info. Puma
I don't have a Kindle (I just have Kindle for PC), but I have friends who have them. The latest Kindles have what they call "E Ink" technology, which does make the page look more-or-less like a printed book page and not as much like you're reading off a computer screen.

Edited to add: I duplicated the poster above; I got distracted watching The Next Great Restaurant and dawdled on making my post.

Last edited:

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Nice to know some younger have latched onto weterns

ElisabethF:

Thanks for adding your thoughts. Nice to know some younger people enjoy a good Western. It was such a unique era that it would be a shame if today's generation lost sight of how pivotal a role it played in our nation's development. Maybe we need more westerns in ebook form.

J'Dubee

I make tall stories short
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdubee.com
ElisabethF:

Thanks for adding your thoughts. Nice to know some younger people enjoy a good Western. It was such a unique era that it would be a shame if today's generation lost sight of how pivotal a role it played in our nation's development. Maybe we need more westerns in ebook form.

I've started reading things on a computer screen because I'm losing my sight. I can control a font's size.
When a printed book's page can do that trick, (as i believe Kindle can do) I betcha books will survive like radio has survived.
Did that make sense?

It's been said, "Getting old is tough" . . . or maybe it's, "Getting old is for the tough."

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm in my early thirties and I love westerns. I also want to write one one day. So far I have a partial, still working on it when I get ideas. I hope I'm not in the over the hill gang, but if I am then so what-I tend to get along with older people anyway.

Glad you are writing a western and helping to keep the genre alive. If you are in the over-the-hill-gang, I must be in the under-the-hill-gang, lol. Hope not, I still have aspirations of turning out a few more books.

Good luck with your partial.

skunkmelon

Randomly curious
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferponce.com
I have a Kindle and I love it. Thought I would miss the whole 'turning a page and smelling a book' experience but . . . nope.

What everyone says when they see my Kindle is "Oh, wow. It (the writing) looks like it's on paper." You can read it in full sun which is something you can't do with most computer screens or other ereaders for that matter.

I enjoy westerns (in my 30s) but really like it when there's a crossing of genres. Western paranormal would be fun, for instance.

Anyway, if the book sounds good I'll get it and it doesn't matter if it's western, history, romance, or whatever. (I've been re-reading the tarzan books, which I can get for free on the Kindle. Yay!)

The main downside for me is not being able to loan a book I've purchased for my Kindle to someone else.

My brother (who is 15 years older than me and has eye trouble) loves his Kindle because he can increase the font and can read again.

My advice would be to find a friend who has one and try it out. You might just fall in love.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I've always been partial to Zane, because of the simplicity of his tales.. I don't want to think when reading a western, I want to be on the open planes scooping a handful of coffee into an old metal pot and swishing it around until it boils. The old say about the further back in time you go, the simpler life becomes really applies to westerns,,, for me.....

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
First of all, I'm a youngster also. I have ibooks for my ipod and I work around these e-readers in walmart all day. There's just something I miss about sitting there with my favorite book in my hand. For some reason, reading the electronic version just isn't as fulfilling to me. Everyone is different, but I believe the future is with e-readers.