Muscle & Fitness, Oxygen, etc

CynV

The Original Cyn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CynthiaVespia.com
Has anyone ever written for any of the major fitness magazines? (ie Oxygen, Shape, Muscle and Fitness)

I'm a personal trainer as well as a writer and it would be an absolute thrill to combine both of my passions and write for the fitness industry. I've done alot of freelance work, and alot of health and fitness articles, but when it comes to the bigger names I can't seem to get a foot in the door.

If you've had any success with these magazines please let me know.

CARas

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.freelancewriting.com/

Have you tired this website? They have writers guidlines for all kinds of magazines. I'm not sure if they have the specifics titles you gave.

Maybe check the websites of the magazine and see if they have guidlines if not send them an email and ask them for their writing guidelines.

i hope this can help

Cathy

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a pt as well, and I think a lot of these mags have contracts with specific people, on a contract basis. Though I could be wrong.. I really just wanted to tell you to blog, a great way to combine the 2....

Kluver

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
In fact I have not much information about the fitness magazines and looking for the
fitness magazines that can guide me best for the fitness. I get the right idea with the help of these post.

Solarisol

The Jockiest Nerd
Registered
Reaction score
Well, most people get into writing for these magazines by already being pretty well-known in their fields.

Think about the people who write for various fitness magazines: Alwyn and Rachel Cosgrove, Alli McKee, Mike Boyle, (and unfortunately) Tracy Anderson, etc etc.

These are people who are already well-established and have huge followings on their blogs / websites / gyms.

I have aspirations as well of one day being able to reach a broader audience with the correct information about fitness and exercise, which is such a rare thing in the fitness industry. I think the way to go about doing this is to either have a unique idea to be presented or to already be well-known so that a magazine would WANT you to do a piece for them.

Of course I could be totally wrong but that's the impression that I get anyway :)

I keep a fitness blog myself (http://www.modern-fitness.blogspot.com/) and I use this to practice my arguments, writing style and to keep myself in check! If you don't already have one I'd start one - it's a great way to keep up with clients and to give them more information than you can in your sessions as well as a way for potential clients to see that you know your stuff and what you're all about.