How NOT To Respond To A Bad Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I didnt read the book, but the reviewer-Al-said that the story was good, and there were some good parts to the story. There was some "meat to it"-I think someone else on here mentioned that too :)

You should read it. You can get a couple chapters free on Smashwords.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Listen up, all new and developing writers out there. This WAS an author with potential who was not ready to publish yet. But the self-publishing route was ready and willing. This WAS an author who evidently had some talent for storytelling but had not yet paid enough attention to the writing craft to warrant serious consideration of her writing talent. This IS a writer who has screwed the pooch--she put out a poorly written story, which is in the hands of the reading public (with her name on it). She has also totally and deliberately destroyed any shred of being considered a competent, professional writer. Her only hope is two-fold. Learn about the craft, and get a pen name and hope no one is able to make the connection. I'm sure her name is now filed under "a nightmare client."

Unfortunately, she has also underlined one of the major problems with self-publishing--a good portion of it is going to be crap simply because of the lack of quality control. And this hurts the talented writers who turn to self-publishing for their own personal reasons.

Even Mr. Al said this: If you read The Greek Seaman from the start until you click next page for the last time I think you’ll find the story compelling and interesting. The culture shock felt by the newlywed bride, Katy, who finds herself far from her native England, living on a cargo ship with her seaman husband Don is a good story in itself. Katy adapting to this all male environment with a crew of mixed nationality, most non-English speaking, is compelling. Whether Katy and Don will survive the criminal conspiracies the ship owner and captain have planned is yet another conflict that should keep a reader in suspense to the end.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think her writing was that terrible. I read some of it. It is very rough, her sentence structure is bad, and her description is poor and not very detailed. But I can see some good in it. She does have some talent. At the moment her writing is just very, very rough. She needs to brush up on her sentence structure, add some more description, learn how to write a decent paragraph, and then have another crack at publishing. Her attitude needs to change though. No one is going to want to work with her if she contines to go through life with this "My writing is FINE." attitude. If she can take herself down a notch and learn to accept criticism she might be able to repair the damage she has done to herself. I wish her the best.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
People seem to be blowing this wayyyyy out of proportion.

Yeah, the writer was wrong like she did but it just seems like now all the little cyber-bullies are jumping on the case, posting comments on blogs, retweeting it, postive negative reviews on Amazon etc just because it's the cool thing to do at the moment.

So she overeacted, big deal. Some people have said that she needs to act her age. The same could be said for the spiteful people who keep posting negative reviews on her Amazon page just parroting what the original reviewer said without even attempting to read the book just because other people are doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
I read some of it, and it's not that bad. Again, if she had a good beta reader, maybe posted something on SYW she'd be in busniuess (this, of course, being that she doesn't flip out on anyone).

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
People seem to be blowing this wayyyyy out of proportion.

Yeah, the writer was wrong to react to this but it just seems like now all the little cyber-bullies are jumping on the case, posting comments on blogs, retweeting it, postive negative reviews on Amazon etc just because it's the cool thing to do at the moment.

So she overeacted, big deal. Some people have said that she needs to act her age. The same could be said for the spiteful people who keep posting negative reviews on her Amazon page just parroting what the original reviewer said without even attempting to read the book just because other people are doing it.

THIS!!!! A million time over :Clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.