Rejectomancy

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
Mini rejecto-lanche yesterday. My two-story multi to a top-notch annual crime antho yielded two forms, plus a form (though with an encouraging personal endnote) from Spinetingler.

Yikes, can’t these folks just take Sunday as a day off?

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Higher level R from AHMM. Editor called story well-written and invited future subs. First time I've received one like this from them.

Mini rejecto-lanche yesterday. My two-story multi to a top-notch annual crime antho yielded two forms, plus a form (though with an encouraging personal endnote) from Spinetingler.

Yikes, can’t these folks just take Sunday as a day off?

It's always such a relief when a rejection has more encouragement than sting. And rejecto-lanches are so baffling; rejections apparently accumulate like moisture in clouds before drenching us with disappointment.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else have a sub out with Tin House since 2016? It's been 372 days since my submission. Know Tin House is slow in responding. Grinder states there's an average 397 day response time. Just wondering if others are in my same boat.

shortstorymachinist

Registered
Reaction score
22-day close-but-not-quite from Clarkesworld. Time to get back on that merry go round.

pattmayne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattmayne.com
I always go from 23 to rejected in like fourteen minutes on the Clarkesworld system.

I honestly have no idea where to get feedback ever. I have no friends who write.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW Clarkesworld is an extremely tough market to crack. They get an enormous number of subs and only publish a few stories a month, so even really good stories don't necessarily make it through.

As for feedback, when you've got to 50 posts here, you can post work for crit in Show Your Work. A good way to get to the 50 is to hang out in SYW and critique other people's stuff, plus then the regulars get to know you and are more likely to give you their time when it's your turn.

Good luck and welcome to W1S1 :)

shortstorymachinist

Registered
Reaction score
Got a weird one yesterday, saying the setting was quirky and the story good, but the writing was bland. Kind of made me go, "Errr...thank you?"

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. New to Rejectomancy. I've been on AW for awhile but just now unearthed this glorious W1/S1 forum.

Just received a 1 day form letter from Apex. That didn't make it far. That didn't make it far at all.

Oh well. I've got two more stories circulating now so we'll see how those do :)

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
Great to see new posts here. Except, of course, they're about getting rejections. (So maybe not so great to see them. Sympathies to you.)

Been awhile since I've posted so my R's have piled up big-time, including forms from two top-notch mystery anthologies, two top mystery mags, and a new pulp mag. Plus a personal from a mystery mag that published me twice before. Ouch, that's six of 'em and it's still March. But I landed a couple of acceptances too, so not all bad.

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
Another just came in :( I was really hopeful about that one too, and the editors said it almost made it into the magazine. Bummer.

No time to agonize over it though, back to the grind...

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome new people, and sorry to hear about the Rs. Hopefully those stories are all out again at better places that'll love 'em! :)