Was Billythrilly created by the US govt? (Psychological warfare not for the US)

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
doesnt apply friday nights.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have a problem with the Voice of America broadcast?

Just wondering?

I thought of VOA too. I think the difference is that VOA broadcasts were clearly identified as such, and everyone knew it was Uncle Sam's version of things. Having sock puppets on social sites is more akin to having a mole work for an enemy's radio station, such as what happened in Kurt Vonnegut's book Mother Night.

For sock puppets to work, though, it seems you would need to flood the internet with them. Fifty GS-5 government employees* clicking "I Like This!" on Facebook simply isn't going to do much.

*Come to think of it, they are probably CIA interns.

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Plot,

I don't disagree, but the original post was about the military creating sock puppets for social networks to counter negative propaganda. It is no different than Voice of America... IMHO.

Deleted member 42

s.

On other matters, I suspect that every time a sock puppet gets banned, they will just keep fine-tuning their efforts to create the "perfect" sock-puppet who blends flawlessly and never trips the alarms of the mod-sniffers.

Mods are nifty and much appreciated.

But you know who excels at spotting sock-puppets ?

The members en masse of a community, the regs. This is not just anecdotal evidence, it's been tested in laboratory conditions by a number of sociologists and geeks doing dissertation research.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Billy was created by the government. I do think the government was created by him.

o_O

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I still think that William has his hand in it too. (Bet they have a cubical next to each other.) :poke: