William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Helen Thomas is not sorry, nor were the comments that ended her career accidental.

“I knew exactly what I was doing – I was going for broke,” she told Playboy in the magazine’s April interview. “I had reached the point of no return. You finally get fed up…I finally wanted to speak the truth.”

"[The Jews are] using their power, and they have power in every direction,” she told Playboy. “Power over the White House, power over Congress…Everybody is in the pocket of the Israeli lobbies, which are funded by wealthy supporters, including those from Hollywood. Same thing with the financial markets. There's total control…It isn't the two percent. It's real power when you own the White House, when you own these other places in terms of your political persuasion. Of course they have power. [To the interviewer] You don't deny that. You're Jewish, aren't you?"

She also had some controversial views about memorializing the Holocaust.

"There's nothing wrong with remembering it, but why do we have to constantly remember?" she said. "We're not at fault. I mean, if they're going to put a Holocaust museum in every city in Germany, that's fine with me. But we didn't do this to the Jews. Why do we have to keep paying the price and why do they keep oppressing the Palestinians? Do the Jews ever look at themselves? Why are they always right? Because they have been oppressed throughout history, I know. And they have this persecution. That's true, but they shouldn't use that to dominate."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/onmedia/0311/Helen_Thomas_to_Playboy_Jews_own_the_White_House.html

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Helen Thomas shows her ass in Playboy.

Okay...this might be the most simultaneously misleading and disgusting thread title EVER.

Talk about things you can't unsee. :scared:

The horror...the horror...

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
We're all going to have nightmares now. But kudos on getting everyone's attention.

I also want anyone who is dissapointed to fess up. You deserve scorn.

Reaction score
We're all going to have nightmares now. But kudos on getting everyone's attention.

I also want anyone who is dissapointed to fess up. You deserve scorn.

I did. Same reason as Michael. Just because it would have been awesome on a pop culture "really?" level.

Oh well.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I know why. We all thought of billy. :D

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Helen Thomas was a great journalist, undeterred by power and tough as a two-dollar steak, but the operative word here is "was."

Now she's an embarrassing anachronism who gets more pitiful every time she opens up her yap and her loathing for Jews comes spilling out of her fetid mouth. She hung on too long and now she's hanging herself whenever she slithers out from under her rock.

I'd feel sorry for her but I don't. I just wish she'd sit down somewhere and shut up before she becomes a bigger joke than she is.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Israel lobbyists vie for lawmakers’ signatures
by Robert Wiener
NJJN Staff Writer
June 23, 2010
Among pro-Israel lawmakers and lobbyists, they have become a ritual of sorts: congressional letters expressing support for Israel and the activists who help draft the letters.
Usually signed by overwhelming majorities, the letters often promote Israel’s cause in the face of a recent crisis, or send an unmistakable message of disapproval if the White House and Israel are not seeing eye to eye.
And while major Jewish organizations see the letters as a productive way of supporting Israel, some critics say that they are little more than political exercises to test a politician’s commitment to the Jewish and pro-Israel vote.
This week, majorities in both houses of the Congress signed on to letters affirming U.S. support for Israel in the wake of its may 31 raid on a Gaza-bound flotilla.
The letters, promoted by the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, are being sent to President Obama.
“We write to affirm our support for our strategic partnership with Israel, and encourage you to continue to do so before international organizations such as the United Nations,” begins the Senate letter, which by June 21 had garnered 83 of a possible 100 signatures. “The United States has traditionally stood with Israel because it is in our national security interest and must continue to do so.”
Both of New Jersey’s senators, Frank Lautenberg and Robert Menendez, signed the letter. All the state’s representatives — except Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-Dist. 8) and Rep. Donald Payne (D-Dist. 9) —were signatories to the House members’ letter.
Both Republicans and Democrats from New Jersey gave speeches on the House floor supporting Israel’s military action against the flotilla headed for Gaza. . . . .
http://njjewishnews.com/article/statewide/israel-lobbyists-vie-for-lawmakers-signatures

Remember the flotilla?? She's not wrong about Israeli influence. I don't subscribe to bias against any religion, but I'll stand firm that Israel - or for that matter any nation - should not have undue influence on US policy, and I think Israel has undue influence. So go ahead, let's hear all the accusations of anti-semite. That's the usual refrain in the face of any criticism of Israel. . . .

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You just hate Hummus and Falafels, don't you!!!! Admit it!!!

But I still buy hummus, even if I can't quite attain the discernment of a true connoisseur. Heck, I try. Is hummus an Israeli food?? What do I know?? I buy it when it's on sale and I'm feeling guilty about - I don't know - lack of olives. . . .

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
eta: ^^^ :D :D

I don't know why she finds any attempt at influence surprising. I can't think of a group that has goals who wouldn't want to influence those in power. And use their money, yes.

She doesn't like their views. Fair enough, now that she's out of politics. I don't get the whole Hollywood thing, though. Are our movies 'too Jewish' or something to her?

No, it fits too much into the same old things bigoted people have been saying for centuries, right? "They've taken over!"

Sometimes folks you disagree with run a few things. Sorry 'bout that, Helen.

Last edited:

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
What a terrible way to slander Playboy.

Just the thought - Helen's.... ,my God, how could you?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Dolts dream of derrieres gone
Whose ghastly grimace bears
The years held and braved yond.
For the words, blight they be,
Is fair'r sight than wilt'd stares
Who behold and take dree.
The blesst words that greet thee?
Jew jew pi gigi'ou.

Last edited:

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
For one or more mods who may object to my previous post, here's a version in which I do not show my ugly, old-lady ass so blatantly.

Please, fellow posters, stop and and think about sexism and ageism as much as you do about racism.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For one or more mods who may object to my previous post, here's a version in which I do not show my ugly, old-lady ass so blatantly.

Please, fellow posters, stop and and think about sexism and ageism as much as you do about racism.

I'm not ignoring the sexism and ageism. Are you ignoring the blatant anti-Semitism?

The rule of thumb is "respect your fellow writer." Bigots are no fellows of mine and I grant them no pass based upon their gender or age.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
NT, if the exact same article had been written by someone else -- pick your gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, country of origin, or whatever -- would you have joined in to make fun of the author's appearance or any other categorization?

Thomas's position could be interpreted as prejudiced, or the points it raises could be addressed with all kinds of political/historical/sociological considerations. But to say she's practicing some -ism or another and then counter it with a different one?

I thought I had anti-Semitism covered with racism. YMMV. Also, I prefer, when I remind myself, not to call someone a bigot; I think it makes more sense to label the behavior. Notice my first post above labels the people; the second handles it differently.