killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
welcome, wolfhowland!

Seconding what LadyRedRover said above. This group is pretty much here for mutual support as we each try to meet our individual goals. If you are looking for more information about the (nail-biting, angsty, soul-crushing, occasionally elating) submission part of being a writer, I humbly point you to this thread. But always happy to answer questions directly here. :)

rachel0d

Registered
Reaction score
Does it have to be a different story every time? Or can you make like a chain story? I was thinking of writing a paragraph a day for a week.

LadyRedRover

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that it has to be different each time. I count it as a win every time I send something out, even if it's not a brand new story.

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by chain story though. Like a serial? I'd say contributing to one of those would count, since you're technically publishing each one by making it available to readers. Or perhaps writing short stories/vignettes set in the same locale or with the same characters? I do that pretty consistently with my Necropolis series, which is a set of short stories following an organization of Exorcists. Some stories are a few paragraphs long and others push into novella range.

Write one, Sub one is pretty forgiving, from what I've seen. The only defined part is that you have to write something, complete it, and submit it. And submission can be anything that puts a reader's eyeballs on your work. :)

SomethingUnique

Registered
Reaction score
I’m finally returning to writing and I think this is a great challenge. I’m in.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I too am getting serious again about getting my backlog of written works out the door and into the world. I've not in years past participated formally in a W1S1 challenge, but I took it as a personal rubric (might not be the right word) for getting off my butt. It forces me to give a critical, strategic look at the dozen or so completed stories sitting on my hard drive and determine which ones are ready to be subbed, which are not ready but will be, and which are best abandoned (at least for now) before I charge on into the next first draft.

It's a variant on the age-old wisdom of "Finish two, start one, in this order."

Reactions: SomethingUnique