What is Write 1 Sub 1?

Cannuck

Registered
Reaction score
Ironically I was sitting down this afternoon setting my New Years goals, and one of my major ones was to write a few short stories each month and get submitting them and polishing them and resubmitting them. Then I found this thread. I love the idea of having a support system to help me stay motivated and focused because honestly I get sidetracked easy between kids and life and kids lol I'm in!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year.

I did achieve my 2015 resolution of completing six stories in first draft at least. It was a repeat of 2013's resolution, which I also achieved. I won't do the same again for 2016 (maybe every other year?) as six new stories means six stories needing to be revised and sent out, and I also have a novel I'd like to get to the end of the first draft. Actually, make that five, as the sixth story of the year was for an anthology with a New Year's Eve deadline, and I got that one done and sent in during the evening of the 30th.

Hoever, I do intend to write at least one new story in 2016, and the first is likely to be my contribution to the Solstice Swap over in the AW SF/Fantasy forum.

Reaction score
I've always written one story per week. That's not a particularly difficult goal; a measly 1,000 words per day can accomplish this. Only about 25% of my output--maybe one story per month--is worthy of submission, however, which means I have a lot of sub-par junk stories laying around.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I've always written one story per week. That's not a particularly difficult goal; a measly 1,000 words per day can accomplish this. Only about 25% of my output--maybe one story per month--is worthy of submission, however, which means I have a lot of sub-par junk stories laying around.

I think some people would say they prefer to write less, edit more, and try to ensure that finished stories are submittable ones. In that case a story a week can be difficult.

Reaction score
I think some people would say they prefer to write less, edit more, and try to ensure that finished stories are submittable ones. In that case a story a week can be difficult.

That's why I try to do. My trick is to write a story as best I can, then let it sit before I edit. I've found that if I write a lot of stories during the interim, my memory of and emotional attachment towards and one particular story evaporates, thus making it slightly easier to be critical of my writing. Most of my stories will sit in waiting for about a month before I revisit them. If I see any potential, I'll polish it. If not, I move on with no hard feelings.

In my earlier post I meant to say that this only happens once in about every four stories. The other 75% is sort of "meh" in retrospect--not bad, just mediocre and boring.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
That's why I try to do. My trick is to write a story as best I can, then let it sit before I edit. I've found that if I write a lot of stories during the interim, my memory of and emotional attachment towards and one particular story evaporates, thus making it slightly easier to be critical of my writing. Most of my stories will sit in waiting for about a month before I revisit them. If I see any potential, I'll polish it. If not, I move on with no hard feelings.

In my earlier post I meant to say that this only happens once in about every four stories. The other 75% is sort of "meh" in retrospect--not bad, just mediocre and boring.

Yeah I'm similar, although I usually start to feel 'meh' during the middle section, and that's when it gets trunked.

Shalon

Registered
Reaction score
In a nutshell, Write1Sub1 is a challenge to write one story every week, or month, and submit it. You don't have to sub it the same week or month, but it will need to be subbed at some stage. Check this out for more details of what's involved.

Write1Sub1 is the brainchild of Stephen Ramey, Simon Kewin and Milo James Fowler. They credit their major inspiration as Ray Bradbury, who diligently wrote and subbed a short story every week for decades. Here Mr. Bradbury is, talking about his approach. Let's hope W1S1 can unearth some more Bradburys.

GAH!!! How have I not heard about this before. ARGHH!!! This is brilliant and amazing. AHHH!!!

One a week? That's unbelievable! Bradbury!!!! Love it, love it, love it!

Totes gonna do this! Taking the challenge RIGHT NOW!!! ONE A WEEK!!!

(sorry for all the exclamation marks!)

Shalon

Registered
Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by shortstorymachinist

I can't imagine writing, editing and polishing one story a week -- that's too much, and not what I aim to do. The original post on this thread states that the stories must be submitted 'at some point' but not necessarily in the same week.

For myself, I agree totally with Michael -- giving some space lets us be more critical. Editing and drafting are 50% of the process of writing, IMO. (the other parts being plotting (%20) and writing (%30)).

My goal is to write one story a week. Could be flash fiction even, doesn't matter. But to have one NEW story arc each week. Should be a piece of cake! (haha, yeah right... I'm going to read this in a few months and want to shoot myself, I'm sure!! haha!)

TravelHat

Forever learning
Registered
Reaction score
OK, zanzjan, I'm here at your urging. ---

ONE A WEEK??? WHAT THE ..... !!!!!

Now that I got that out of my system. For now I will keep my 2017 goal of write and submit one short story a month. I have a Masters project to finish by May. (and I'm way too old for this).

But, at least I am here. BTW, my January story is done and submitted. Gee, if/when I'm rejected, does submitting the same story to another publication count as another submission?

Michael

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a couple novels now and this sounds like an interesting inspiration to keep at it regular but ...

It may have been answered earlier but it's a long forum read completely. I wonder if exposing all of a novel in parts to a segment of the public effects first "Unpublished" claims if the book is sold.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
OK, zanzjan, I'm here at your urging. ---

ONE A WEEK??? WHAT THE ..... !!!!!

Now that I got that out of my system. For now I will keep my 2017 goal of write and submit one short story a month. I have a Masters project to finish by May. (and I'm way too old for this).

But, at least I am here. BTW, my January story is done and submitted. Gee, if/when I'm rejected, does submitting the same story to another publication count as another submission?

Yep, subs is subs. Also, you get to set your own interval. Once a week, once a month... those people doing a novel might be once a year. Pick a challenge that's attainable but not too lazy and you're good. :)

I'm working on a couple novels now and this sounds like an interesting inspiration to keep at it regular but ...

It may have been answered earlier but it's a long forum read completely. I wonder if exposing all of a novel in parts to a segment of the public effects first "Unpublished" claims if the book is sold.

I think it's a percentage of text thing. If the whole thing has been online and available to the public (password-protected spaces like SYW don't count as public) unless you substantially alter it, I'd expect that you'd have blown your first pub rights, though where exactly that line is probably varies by publisher. In general I'd err on the side of caution posting stuff.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

This seems likely.

Handsome Arrow has already been shot right outta here for behavior in other threads, but thought I'd save the rest of you the effort of trying to compose a response.

Carry on. :)

Dreamsage

Registered
Reaction score
I want to make a stupid question. Like, a REALLY stupid question. Brace yourselves...
...WHERE exactly do I submit my work? Do I open a new thread here?

Also, I'd like to ask something about my writing goals: I'm a graphic artist, so I mostly aim for (a) scenarios or dialogues for comics (b) short stories that aim to create concept for a person / item / place to draw (c) product-related stories, not necessarily real - for example a story for a marketing campaign of flying broomsticks.
Can I randomly submit anything I want each week? I'm aiming to start with a comic I'm writing, but I want to go on with all kinds of things.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I want to make a stupid question. Like, a REALLY stupid question. Brace yourselves...
...WHERE exactly do I submit my work? Do I open a new thread here?

The sub part means submitting the short story to a market for publication. The first post in this thread has a link to the official Write 1 Sub one site, which includes some potential markets.

Short fiction markets are often genre-driven, so it's a good idea to have some familiarity with the markets, their legitimacy, whether they pay, etc.

Dreamsage

Registered
Reaction score
Oh... I'm not writing professionally at the moment, but as a support to everything else I make. I guess W1S1 isn't for me then :cry:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh... I'm not writing professionally at the moment, but as a support to everything else I make. I guess W1S1 isn't for me then :cry:

Well, keep participating like you have been, and in 50 posts you can think about posting something of yours for crit in Share Your Work (SYW).

Crits or critiques are pretty special, and have their own subforum called Share Your Work (SYW). You need 50 posts to start a new thread in SYW.

Lots of times new members think they know what it means to be critted, and that their work is ready for it, when it isn't. So having to have 50 genuine, engaged posts gives new members a chance to figure out how critting works.

Until you have 50 posts, why not go to Share Your Work and read some crits, and carefully read the stickies, and maybe try your own hand at doing a crit ?

The password for Share Your Work is vista.

There's an FAQ listing passwords.

Once you have 50 posts, you can start your own thread in Share Your Work. Until then, reading crits, and trying your own hand at critting will help you understand what it's like to be critted.

You can start reading and critting stuff by others right now—it's not only a great way to participate and give back to AW, it's a fabulous way to learn about writing.

Dreamsage

Registered
Reaction score
This is a great suggestion! Thanks a lot. I will check it out at once next time I come in the forums :hooray:

wolfhowland

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Brandon and I recently just got into writing and would love to join a community of writers. Recently writing and the ideas behind my writing have taken over my thoughts so I'd love to participate in activities like this with other people.
However, I don't know what everyone means by sub 1. Where do I submit the story? In AW?

Thanks for the help!

LadyRedRover

Registered
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to AW! The Sub part of Write1Sub1 means that you submit your story, though what that means is really up to you. You can submit it for critique in the Share Your Work forum, send it out to publishers, or post it on your blog/social media/etc. Whatever you decide, this is a pretty cool place to keep yourself productive and level up your skills :)