Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Good question. I'm glad you asked. :)

In a nutshell, Write1Sub1 is a challenge to write one story every week, or month, and submit it. You don't have to sub it the same week or month, but it will need to be subbed at some stage.

Write1Sub1 is the brainchild of Stephen Ramey, Simon Kewin and Milo James Fowler. They credit their major inspiration as Ray Bradbury, who diligently wrote and subbed a short story every week for decades. Let's hope W1S1 can unearth some more Bradburys.

While the challenge is officially a year-long one, people can join up at any stage. The idea behind it is to build up good longterm writing and submitting habits. You can also tailor the challenge to fit your available time and energy. Perhaps one story a week is too much, but one a month too little. Why not go for two a month?

This subforum is here to act as a base of operations for any AWers who have taken up the challenge. It'll be a place to encourage one another, congratulate one another, commiserate with one another, advise one another.

All are welcome. Let's take over the short fiction world!

(if you have any other questions, feel free to ask them here)

p.s. even if you're not W1S1-ing, feel free to hang out with us. We love the company, and the more variety the better :)

Last edited:

dandelionheart

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Such a great idea. This is similar to project 365--a picture a day for a year. I am doing that now and love it. It is always nice to have set goals in mind to stay motivated.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Such a great idea. This is similar to project 365--a picture a day for a year. I am doing that now and love it. It is always nice to have set goals in mind to stay motivated.
You're on the money, Megan. And hanging out with a group of people who have similar goals also helps with the whole motivation thang.

Project 365 sounds like fun!

Feel free to hang out in any of the threads here, even if you're not participating in the challenge. Diversity leads to inspiration, right? :)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm already kinda sorta doing something like this, but it was more a vague "write more" concept and less a detailed plan. I like your way better! ;)

In other words... I'm in. **scampers off to plot**

dandelionheart

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
You're on the money, Megan. And hanging out with a group of people who have similar goals also helps with the whole motivation thang.

Project 365 sounds like fun!

Feel free to hang out in any of the threads here, even if you're not participating in the challenge. Diversity leads to inspiration, right? :)

Project 365 is a lot of fun.

When you say it also helps to hang out with a group of people with similar goals it helps...it really does. I love this community so much. I have only been here at AW for a short time but I have gained so much from the insight of the members here.

I am going to do the w1s1 challenge. I think it is a great idea. I can't wait to share and see more here on the boards.

Reactions: llyralen and Izz

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'm already kinda sorta doing something like this, but it was more a vague "write more" concept and less a detailed plan. I like your way better! ;)

In other words... I'm in. **scampers off to plot**
w00t! Another sucker, erm, enthusiastic participant!

:welcome: to W1S1, WildScribe. Make yourself at home in the bar, and any of the the other threads in our wee room.

(btw: i can't claim any credit for the concept. alexshvartsman came across the W1S1 blog and recommended it in a thread, and i picked it up and ran with it. but yes, it is great!)

Project 365 is a lot of fun.

When you say it also helps to hang out with a group of people with similar goals it helps...it really does. I love this community so much. I have only been here at AW for a short time but I have gained so much from the insight of the members here.

I am going to do the w1s1 challenge. I think it is a great idea. I can't wait to share and see more here on the boards.
Yay! :hooray: Welcome, Megan!

*rushes off to drag two more seats into the bar*

Side note: To officially sign up on the W1S1 blog (so the organizers know you're playing), all you need to do is follow the blog. Simple, huh?

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I subbed one this week (yesterday, actually), but I haven't gotten any writing done. Well, scratch that, I've written a ton this week, but no fiction. I'm off to pick a market and see about remedying that. Wish me luck...

matdonna

matushka at large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rafterssriptorium.blogspot.com
I just signed up and put the badge on my blog.....thanks for the invite, Izz!

But now I must go back to story # 2, which needs to move on from Scene !......

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yay, matdonna! :snoopy:

If you need a hug or a kick, or want to brag, or just hang out, there's plenty of places to do that (and anything else you want to do) here in the W1S1 subforum.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hi Monika. Yes, it's a concept made purely of awesome, isn't it?

Feel free to hang out with us here in the W1S1 subforum, even if short fiction's not your cuppa :)

JennieRose8

Registered
Reaction score
This sounds really interesting, though I'm a novel writer, myself. Not sure I know how to write a short story anymore. Lol

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
I'm in the write 10, sub 1 category. I think I'll take up this challenge - I need something to get me putting my work out there! (I've been a closet writer for years...) Thanks for the great idea.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Awesome, lacygnette, and :welcome: to W1S1 :)

Jennie, feel free to hang out with us even if you're not writing short stories. Motivation can come from many places.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds really interesting, though I'm a novel writer, myself. Not sure I know how to write a short story anymore. Lol

I do believe we're working on a variant for those of us who write novels. Either way, welcome! (-:

-Suzanne

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I do believe we're working on a variant for those of us who write novels. Either way, welcome! (-:

-Suzanne
Yes, we are (i'd nearly forgotten; naughty Izz). It'll be launching Nov 1st. There's a thread discussing it here.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. =) What're you supposed to do with the 4 stories a week that get rejected?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'm in. =)
Awesome. Welcome along, Bart!
What're you supposed to do with the 4 stories a week that get rejected?
Why, send them back out, of course. :D

As an aside: i just sold a story last week that was at its 16th market. I'm glad i persevered with it.

Kamina

A Man's Man
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea!

EDIT IN
Are there constraints on length? How short are these short stories? Say I set the goal to have myself put out a short story once a week, is that based on myself or another standard?

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I think this is a great idea!
Awesome. :snoopy: Welcome aboard, Kamina!

EDIT IN
Are there constraints on length? How short are these short stories? Say I set the goal to have myself put out a short story once a week, is that based on myself or another standard?
It's pretty much based on yourself. Seeing as the plan is to try to sell these short stories, it's probably a good idea to look at what lengths short story markets accept. The upper length is usually 10,000 words, which is technically novelette territory, but certainly gives you plenty of room to work within.

Feel free to hang out with us at the bar and anywhere else here in the subforum, and don't forget to introduce yourself over at the official blog when they next have a check-in.

:)
Izz