Beta Readers/Crit Requests

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
This is a continuation of alexshvartsman's Beta Reader's thread in the social group.

Anybody want a story beta'd or critted? If so, post here and hopefully another W1S1er will have some time up their sleeves to help out. Because this is a public forum, it'd probably be best not to post personal email addresses, but rather to ask for anybody who can help out to PM you.

And, if you've posted a story in SYW, post a link here too so we can all trundle over and take a gander.

ETA: It's probably also a good idea to tell us what type of crit you're looking for (if you haven't done so already in your actual SYW post). Just so we can do our best to be as constructive as possible without hurting any feelings. What stings one person might only tickle another, etc. :)

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
*makes note to crit Always and dandelion's pieces later*

Side note, peeps: It might be a good idea to tell us what type of crit you're looking for (if you haven't done so already in your actual SYW post). Just so as we can do our best to be as constructive as possible without hurting any feelings. What stings one person might only tickle another, etc.

Write hard! :)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a short here in the Suddenly Fiction section (the password is flashed in that room). It's less than 800 words, and is a contemporary piece for older kids/tweens.

I've been having some problems with it. Feel free to be as harsh as you like.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
Good point about what kinds of crits are requested!

As for me, I like frank and critical. My goal is to make my work the best it can be. Though if you tell me I'm pretty at the end, that's always nice.

dandelionheart

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
*makes note to crit Always and dandelion's pieces later*

Side note, peeps: It might be a good idea to tell us what type of crit you're looking for (if you haven't done so already in your actual SYW post). Just so as we can do our best to be as constructive as possible without hurting any feelings. What stings one person might only tickle another, etc.

Write hard! :)

Thanks IZZ!! I look forward to your critique.

Everyone please critique me honestly--I can take the the good, the bad and the ugly :) Thanks again!

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I have seen various posts pointing to this section, saying the password. I can never get in. Is there some other secret code? I know the problem is not cookies, because I run around in SYW just fine. I just can't get in this particular room, ever, on either computer, both of which I can use to access SYW.

Shelley

I have a short here in the Suddenly Fiction section (the password is flashed in that room). It's less than 800 words, and is a contemporary piece for older kids/tweens.

I've been having some problems with it. Feel free to be as harsh as you like.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have seen various posts pointing to this section, saying the password. I can never get in. Is there some other secret code? I know the problem is not cookies, because I run around in SYW just fine. I just can't get in this particular room, ever, on either computer, both of which I can use to access SYW.

Shelley

Hmmm. I'm not sure what the problem is. I'd suggest going through the long way, beginning in the Suddenly Fiction room, and then going into the Polished and Ready subforum. The password (flashed) should work. Let me know if you're still having problems, and I'll let an admin mod know.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score

Shelley

Hmmm. I'm not sure what the problem is. I'd suggest going through the long way, beginning in the Suddenly Fiction room, and then going into the Polished and Ready subforum. The password (flashed) should work. Let me know if you're still having problems, and I'll let an admin mod know.

Smish, I can't get in with the password either. (Tried both ways)

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, I can't get in any way I try, but Izz is looking into it. Thanks!

Shelley

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Editing the flash piece from last week. Feeling like the machete is a little dull.

Insomnia: SF piece <-- link to the newest version, older version is in the top of the same thread

Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Still reworking Insomnia.

Started a non-flash version. First six hundred-ish words are up HERE. (Same thread as before. Link is to the new version, older versions are in that thread.)

Meh. I already like this version better. Flash is something I struggle with. Any thoughts on whether this is truly better, storywise, or simply different?

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I was, for some reason, sure that you needed 50 posts to get into SYW...something that is, evidently, quite untrue. As I've now got the run of the place, I'll now go subject you all to my fumbling critiques.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I was, for some reason, sure that you needed 50 posts to get into SYW...something that is, evidently, quite untrue. As I've now got the run of the place, I'll now go subject you all to my fumbling critiques.
Heh--you need 50 posts to *start* an SYW thread, but you can participate in critting from post 1, if you should so desire.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I just posted my first piece in SYW. It's the horror I wrote over the last two or three days. Right now, I know it's weird, and I know that it managed to disturb me (if no one else), but I'm not sure it's particularly good under all that. Further eyes appreciated.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hopefully i'll have a chance to have a look at it tomorrow, Nathaniel. What sort of crit do you like? Scratch that, just saw the note in the SYW post. Methinks it's time for bed.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
My steampunk thing is up over HERE if anyone wants to take a look. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth keeping or if I should just write something different. Any feedback is appreciated.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I'll try and read tomorrow, Aggy. Tonight shall be for frantic writing starting in two or three minutes.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished a near-future hard SF thriller taking place on a damaged Mars-bound cargo ship. It stands at a bit over 3000 words (though it has a large chunk of infodump in the middle that needs to be cut down). If anyone wants to read it, LMK and I will email you a copy.

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
alex - sent you a PM

I have a 2,000 word short that got no nibbles on a round of submissions. I thought it was solid but perhaps I need a fresh pair of eyes on it, maybe the ending is a little rushed. It's offbeat-ish with an ambiguous twist that could be interpreted as having sci-fi undertones.

Dave

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
You're all good, Dave. You don't have to be participating in W1S1 to hang out with us :)

Plus, there's not really a lot of places around AW where you can solicit private crit for short stories.