The Hug Me/Kick Me House

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ccarver: Write because you want to, because you're enjoying the process of bringing beautiful stories into the world. Everything else is just a bonus.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I just want to scream. Why can't I sell a story??? I have written about 50 stories this year and none of them have found a home. I know it's tough out there, but if I don't sell anything by the end of the year, I'm not sure I can do this again next year. I'm starting to think that I think I am better than I really am.

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
Have you submitted any of your pieces to SYW, gettingby? Pick one you think is representative of your best work and put it out there...that's the only way you'll know if you're just having some bad luck or if there's something that needs fine tuning for it to be publishable.

Jodie

writer in the making
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there gettingby, your dream will happen if you don't give up on it :) There are so many options for writers today. Maybe you should look into self publishing as well.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
gettingby - commiserations! I think we've all been there. It may be for next year you write 50 stories and revise/edit 50. I know I have some from years ago I beleive in, but want to go back and revisit now. I'm one of those who thinks many stories are there to get you to a different story, for everyone sold I have so many in drafts, on the drive, or with racked up rejections and I figure maybe they were stepping stones.

For me, I need to get back into a routine. I started a new job a few months ago (which involved moving) and the job involves some travel and overtime, and less oxygen (I'm in a city higher than denver!) so sometimes I'm just so tired. But then, I want to write way more, get back into that groove. Sigh. Hold me (and hook me up to some air!)

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I spent a chunk of the morning sending out stories that have been rejected this month (or even earlier; I've been slacking off on getting my stories back out there). All in all I sent seven stories back out on the market. I feel both proud and a little bit wrung out. Hugs?

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I spent a chunk of the morning sending out stories that have been rejected this month (or even earlier; I've been slacking off on getting my stories back out there). All in all I sent seven stories back out on the market. I feel both proud and a little bit wrung out. Hugs?

Hugs and high-fives for the good work.

I need to do the same. I don't know how many stories I have sitting idle, but it's got to be getting close to that many again.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great job keeping those stories out on submission, Sai!

My output has been greatly decreased so I'm down to under 10 unsold original stories now, and most of them are out to markets. I think I have a flash that hasn't been at DSF yet. Will look into sending that out today... :)

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Thanks guys. Now that those stories are out there again, it should be easier to stay on top of things :).