The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

LadyRedRover

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on sending out your first story, Isilya! I thought I was going to have a panic attack the first time I sent one... ^_^; It gets easier with practice, but I still feel a little twist of nervousness every time I hit that submit button lol

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks LadyRedRover :)
It was certainly a nerve-racking experience.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
*dusts off a stool* Well, the place still looks pretty good.
*checks behind bar* And the grog's still here. Though I think I'll stick with water for now.
*sits* Ah, it feels good to be home!

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
Hi, I wrote a flash yesterday and subbed as soon as I wrote 'the end' and with no other human eyes laid on it. Not sure what came over me. Very impetuous. Bit annoyed since I have made (minor) tweaks since then. Has anyone ever done the same?

Last edited:
Reactions: Izz

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I wrote a flash yesterday and subbed as soon as I wrote 'the end' and with no other human eyes laid on it. Not sure what came over me. Very impertuous. Bit annoyed since I have made (minor) tweaks since then. Has anyone ever done the same?
I did that with my very first story. The editor was exceedingly kind in his rejection and suggested that I join a critique group ;)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hi, I wrote a flash yesterday and subbed as soon as I wrote 'the end' and with no other human eyes laid on it. Not sure what came over me. Very impertuous. Bit annoyed since I have made (minor) tweaks since then. Has anyone ever done the same?
Yes. It was super exciting. Then super terrifying. Then I got a form rejection and sat on the piece for a bit until I had proper distance for proper edits.

Still, sometimes you gotta ride the rush, right? It gets rejected that's only one market off the list. Though, probably better not to make it a habit :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: SciSarahTops

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
Yes. It was super exciting. Then super terrifying. Then I got a form rejection and sat on the piece for a bit until I had proper distance for proper edits.

Still, sometimes you gotta ride the rush, right? It gets rejected that's only one market off the list. Though, probably better not to make it a habit :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Well this sums the experience up entirely. I eagerly await my form rejection!

ETA, I started a new story today and realised it shares SO MANY ELEMENTS of my one successful story. Not sure whether to ride it out and stick with it or not. Maybe it's just my style?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Well this sums the experience up entirely. I eagerly await my form rejection!

ETA, I started a new story today and realised it shares SO MANY ELEMENTS of my one successful story. Not sure whether to ride it out and stick with it or not. Maybe it's just my style?
Ride it out! :D

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Well, I haven't seriously written shorts for aaaages. It's like I'm using a whole different part of my brain :D

But I've wanted to get back into writing them so as to give the ole noggin a bit of free rein outside the structure that I have to write novels within (if I don't, for novels, then I'll be forever half-baked... in terms of completed drafts, that is :p). Keep me fresh, in other words.

To really make it different to my other writing I'm using https://randomwordgenerator.com/, and setting it to three nouns. The prompt for my first story is development, mud, investment. I'm about 1K in and I have no real idea where it's going :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, people!

I haven't skulked around this subforum for a long while. I'm... really bad at the subbing part of writing and subbing nowadays. I have some very light story plans at the moment (edit one short story this month is amongst my other writing goals).

I'll, uh, think about subbing it. Maybe.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hello! :hi:

I don't think there's too many of us hanging out in here just yet but we'll get the W1S1 ball rolling again *tries to think of a way to adapt the Field of Dreams saying to W1S1 but can't :D*

I haven't been good at subbing things either. For years! I'm kinda semi WS1Sing until the end of the year to get myself back into the groove and then I'm properly recommitting for 2022. It'll be a mix of subs and self-pubs and just short fiction but I'm excited to get back into it.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
So I'm almost there on the first draft of the first story (somehow I've given myself two to work on at once :ROFLMAO:). And I might even have a title. Don't think the story will be ready for anything this month but that's all good. Just getting a draft done will be gravy.

I've lost the software I used to track story subs, so looks like I'll be once again using an old-fashioned spreadsheet :D

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
*sneaks in*

Is there room for the slowest writer ever? I'd like to commit to W1S1 each month, but it isn't likely I'll be that consistent.

I don't have any cookies to offer, how about leftover pasta?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
*sneaks in*

Is there room for the slowest writer ever? I'd like to commit to W1S1 each month, but it isn't likely I'll be that consistent.

I don't have any cookies to offer, how about leftover pasta?
woot woot! Welcome, welcome, welcome! *pulls up all the chairs*

And leftover pasta? Yum!

Reactions: ap123

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Today is one of those life getting in the way days, but I wanted to say thanks for the welcome, Izz--and of course there's pasta!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Today is one of those life getting in the way days, but I wanted to say thanks for the welcome, Izz--and of course there's pasta!
Ah, life getting in the way. I know those days well!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Draft complete. 'A Question of Returns' sits at just under 4.2K. Long. Well, I'll let it sit for a few weeks and then come back with the hacksaw :D Right now, I'm just stoked to be writing (and finishing) short stories again :banana:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Draft complete. 'A Question of Returns' sits at just under 4.2K. Long. Well, I'll let it sit for a few weeks and then come back with the hacksaw :D Right now, I'm just stoked to be writing (and finishing) short stories again :banana:
Congrats on finishing that story!

My head isn't back to writing yet, but I am sitting here grumbling about the subbing process. I had a story I'd subbed flip to "under consideration" 2 months ago, last week it mysteriously flipped back to "received." ok. Took a peek a while ago, and saw it said Pay Now, as opposed to Date Paid. I'm could swear I paid when I subbed, but now I'm doubting myself, and maybe that's why it flipped backwards in the queue. Aargh.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Congrats on finishing that story!
Thanks!

My head isn't back to writing yet, but I am sitting here grumbling about the subbing process. I had a story I'd subbed flip to "under consideration" 2 months ago, last week it mysteriously flipped back to "received." ok. Took a peek a while ago, and saw it said Pay Now, as opposed to Date Paid. I'm could swear I paid when I subbed, but now I'm doubting myself, and maybe that's why it flipped backwards in the queue. Aargh.
That sounds weird. Do you have a record you can check to see if you paid? Really strange that it would go to under consideration if you hadn't paid

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Strange to me, too. I'm going to have to go back through my statements.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hmmm... am wondering if we should set up a new bar for the room? Might be less intimidating as a hang out place for newbies joining up instead of seeing a 4600+ post thread that was started in 2011? Especially seeing as it was dormant for about 3 years until this month...

Thoughts anyone?

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... am wondering if we should set up a new bar for the room? Might be less intimidating as a hang out place for newbies joining up instead of seeing a 4600+ post thread that was started in 2011? Especially seeing as it was dormant for about 3 years until this month...

Thoughts anyone?
I think that make make sense. New digs, new energy, something like that :)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I edited one line of the story I was hoping to finish in August. So, uh, not a great success. Maybe September?

I need to remember to actually check this forum now there are people here again. I'm not used to opening it up!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I edited one line of the story I was hoping to finish in August. So, uh, not a great success. Maybe September?
There's always next month! :D
I need to remember to actually check this forum now there are people here again. I'm not used to opening it up!
Heh - we're going to get this place popping again soon. Little by little the snowball rolls, then faster and faster. Or something :p

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score

That's more than I've accomplished.
September it is!

maybe.