Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I could have used that for this month when I was seeing what types of prompts we've done. BTW, I'm loving the prompts.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, we're happy to let newbies participate in the writing prompts and have their prompt responses critiqued in the Share Your Work section. The Starting new threads in SYW - fifty post count requirement thread provides instructions for you:

Added: on the subject of writing challenges that take place within SYW, and new members wanting to participate but being unable to post their challenge because they don't have 50 posts yet... there's a very easy way to get around this:

Reply in the challenge thread -- it would help if you include your story title and challenge details in the subject line -- and then use the report post button
report.gif
or PM a SYW moderator or supermod to request that your post be moved into a new thread in the same forum. (Any subsequent posts in the challenge thread in reply to your post, will also be moved into the new thread.)

Make sense? PM a mod if you have any questions.

:)Smish

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Real life has been a nuisance and stopped me from typing up my entry for the last two months prompts. But my laptop no longer seems to be cutting out so I may just be in luck. Once I've eaten I'll type up all 11 pages (yes, 11 - sorry) and upload it either tomorrow or Monday, ready for the new prompts.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A whole YEAR of prompts

I'm so proud of the prompts the kidlit gang has created, and even prouder of all the fabulous responses to the prompts. You guys are awesome. :D

AnthonyPearson

Registered
Reaction score
How funny is it that I'm happy my plans for Friday fell through so I can get some writing done? Now I just need to stay away from Words with Friends on the ole time suck that is Facebook.

eheart12

Registered
Reaction score
Those are cool prompts. So far, I have haven't been writing lately and I enjoyed browsing over people's works. Receiving so much inspiration.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember, everyone, that the prompts never expire. You can write a response at any time. :D

GmaPajama

Registered
Reaction score
Monthly writing prompts? How fabulous!

I'm still new here, and am happily soaking it all in. I saw the September prompt early this morning and have already completed a story (and 2 re-writes). I don't have enough posts yet to share my work, and I'm not sure I'm ready to risk the critique process, but what an amazing exercise. As a picture book writer, my challenges are many - but I do understand how to successfully combine rhyme and meter. I'm actually starting to think I'm pretty good at this, and am happy to have one more story in my stash. Just in case I ever manage to get an agent interested. :)

So ... Thank You for the writing prompts. After I've cleared my mind, I think I'll work your list and see what else materializes between myself and the keyboard.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
GmaPajama: The 50-post requirement doesn't apply to monthly prompts (see post #6 in this thread for directions), so if you decide you do want to post your story, you can! :D

Glad you've been inspired by the prompts.

GmaPajama

Registered
Reaction score
GmaPajama: The 50-post requirement doesn't apply to monthly prompts (see post #6 in this thread for directions), so if you decide you do want to post your story, you can! :D

Glad you've been inspired by the prompts.

OK, I can't believe I'm going to do this - but I am. Something about growing that thick skin ... You'll look for it to be moved from the September Prompt thread, right?

CALVIN M

Registered
Reaction score
So I decided that I needed a "Prompt Fix" I looked at and grabbed the challenge right away for the Aug 2010 prompt.

It's back-to-school time! Your homework: write a children's short story containing the following: 1) a back-to-school scene, 2) a yard stick or ruler, and 3) a shark (because it's Shark Week and, well, you know, because sharks are cool).

Temporary title: "My Coolest Substitute Teacher Ever"

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
So I decided that I needed a "Prompt Fix" I looked at and grabbed the challenge right away for the Aug 2010 prompt.

It's back-to-school time! Your homework: write a children's short story containing the following: 1) a back-to-school scene, 2) a yard stick or ruler, and 3) a shark (because it's Shark Week and, well, you know, because sharks are cool).

Temporary title: "My Coolest Substitute Teacher Ever"

Ooh, I remember that prompt! It was one of my favorites. I wrote the start of a chapter book... which I really do intend to finish some day.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I've dropped the ball lately, guys. I've been very busy lately, moving to a new place, starting a new job, etc. I've posted a prompt for January. Have fun!

And, as Calvin proves in his post above, there's no expiration date on prompts. Any time you need a little inspiration (or I forget to post a new one for the month...), there are tons of prompts to choose from. :Thumbs: