'The Right of Publicity': Another Legal Trap for Bio Writers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Bill. You've always got good legal advice.

JudyS

Nonfiction Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Booktown/Treetown, USA (AKA Ann Arbor, MI)
The Litopia website looks really useful for nonfiction writers. I'm glad you linked to it!

As for Right of Publicity, it generally only applies if you are somehow taking away business from a famous person (or their estate), and it usually refers to things like putting a famous person's picture on a t-shirt. So, if a person sold t-shirts with Michael Jackson's picture on it (without getting the Jackson estate's permission), then Michael Jackson's estate could sue because the seller was competing with them on t-shirt sales, and also possibly making it appear that the estate had endorsed the t-shirt, when it had not. (And in fact, the Jackson estate has had a LOT of cease-and-desists and maybe some lawsuits over unauthorized t-shirt sales.)

In a biography, the author is "selling" his or her own ideas, not just a likeness of a famous person. Right of Publicity generally doesn't apply to biographies, unless a biography is so incredibly negative that it causes sales of the subject's products to drop. For example, my Jackson bio is actually quite sympathetic, but if someone wrote a Jackson bio that was so negative it caused some people to stop buying Jackson's music, then the estate could sue over loss of their Right of Publicity.

The radio program in the link discusses a case in which someone used J. R. R. Tolkien as a character in a piece of historical fiction. Tolkien's estate sent a cease-and-desist order claiming that this infringes on their right to use Tolkien as a character in historical fiction. Even though Tolkien's estate hadn't sued (at least not yet), the author of the historical fiction is going to court to try to get a "declarative judgment" saying that he does, indeed, have the right to use Tolkien as a character in historical fiction. The announcers on the radio show say that if the historical fiction writer loses his case, this could theoretically make it impossible to use famous deceased people as characters in historical fiction. And, then they say maybe it would even make it impossible to write unauthorized biographies.

I don't think the author will lose his case (how does his writing a historical fiction stop the Tolkien estate from selling their own historical fiction involving Tolkien? It's not directly competing, like a t-shirt would, because each fiction work has it own ideas.) Even if the author did lose his case, it would likely affect only historical fiction, not biographies, and then only in the state of Texas (where the case is being brought.)

In general, unauthorized biographies enjoy strong First Amendment protection in the US (subject to libel laws, of course.) I don't think that will change anytime soon.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
Right of Publicity generally doesn't apply to biographies, unless a biography is so incredibly negative that it causes sales of the subject's products to drop.

My understanding is that the Right of Publicity claims that a famous person's name has value in itself. If you write a story about them, positive or negative, you're using their name to sell the book. This would apply to most biographies, since any person worth writing a biography about will be famous to at least a small degree.

This is quite apart from infringements of trademark (eg, use of a person's photograph), copyright (eg, use of anything they've written), or libel (negative or untrue statements about them). According to this strange doctrine, simple use of a person's identity infringes the Right of Publicity. Moreover, the Right of Publicity survives the person and becomes part of their estate. Even scarier, the laws vary from state to state, making it much harder to keep track of what's allowable and what's not.

If this doctrine withstands court tests, it could put a chill on unauthorized biographies as well as much of recent history writing. For example, the estate of Adolf Hitler could sue for using his name in the thousands of books and articles written about WW II.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_publicity
For example, "...Indiana is believed to have the most far-reaching Right of Publicity statutes in the world, providing recognition of the right for 100 years after death, and protecting not only the usual "name, image and likeness," but also signature, photograph, gestures, distinctive appearances, and mannerisms."

JudyS

Nonfiction Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that the Right of Publicity claims that a famous person's name has value in itself. If you write a story about them, positive or negative, you're using their name to sell the book. This would apply to most biographies, since any person worth writing a biography about will be famous to at least a small degree....
The thing is, though, numerous (hundreds? maybe thousands?) of unauthorized biographies of famous people are written each year, and I've never heard of a Right of Publicity case brought solely because the subject of a biography was famous.

I understand that the radio article was saying that maybe some court someday could say that all unauthorized biographies violates the Right of Publicity, but they didn't seem to know of any cases where anything remotely like that has happened.

If the Right of Publicity worked the way you described, then I think it would apply to all all unauthorized newspaper and magazine articles about famous people as well. Yet thousands of magazines and newspapers wrote about Michael Jackson's criminal trial, even though Jackson's fame helped them sell papers (or magazines), and he didn't bring any action against any of them.

I'm also not sure what you are suggesting biographers should do. Unlike libel (where authors can protect themselves by documenting their work and not making false statements), there seems to be no way for a biographer to protect themselves from the claim that they are using their subject's name to sell their book. Are you saying that all authors who are working on an unauthorized biography should give up? Or that all publishers should pull all unauthorized biographies from the market?

JudyS

Nonfiction Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_publicity
For example, "...Indiana is believed to have the most far-reaching Right of Publicity statutes in the world, providing recognition of the right for 100 years after death, and protecting not only the usual "name, image and likeness," but also signature, photograph, gestures, distinctive appearances, and mannerisms."
My interpretation of this is that I couldn't put a picture of Jackson's signature on a t-shirt and sell it, or put a drawing of a person in one of Jackson's famous poses on a t-shirt and sell it, not that I can't write a book about him. (In fact, Jackson did trademark his distinctive "up on toes in loafers and shortened pants" pose, and he also took legal action against someone who sold "Jesus Juice" wine with a picture of a Michael Jackson impersonator on the label. However, I think the action over the "Jesus Juice" wine involved endorsement, not just Jackson's fame--in other words, someone might think Jackson had endorsed the wine.)

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also not sure what you are suggesting biographers should do.

I'm not suggesting anything. This website, by a law professor,

http://rightofpublicity.com/

indicates that the Right of Publicity is a fairly new concept dreamed up by lawyers to squeeze a few more bucks out of people who actually work for a living. It's referred to as 'rapidly evolving', which means that the whole concept is in flux as cases are tried and case law is developed.

Potentially, it's a gold mine for lawyers and celebrities, and a great way to put a chill on unauthorized biographies and writing of recent history.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
My interpretation of this is that I couldn't put a picture of Jackson's signature on a t-shirt and sell it, or put a drawing of a person in one of Jackson's famous poses on a t-shirt and sell it, not that I can't write a book about him.

Those cases are trademark infringement, which have a long history and so much case law that someone almost has to walk deliberately into an infringement. Right of Publicity means using someone's name, whether in a positive or negative or neutral way, as a means of attracting sales or business. If you write a biography of Michael Jackson, the RoP folks will claim that you're using MJ's name to sell the biography, which is actually true. What's new is that RoP is being expanded into areas where it hasn't been used before, like nonfiction literature.

JudyS

Nonfiction Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I looked at the website you mentioned (http://rightofpublicity.com/), and saw absolutely nothing about biographies or history books.

...Right of Publicity means using someone's name, whether in a positive or negative or neutral way, as a means of attracting sales or business. If you write a biography of Michael Jackson, the RoP folks will claim that you're using MJ's name to sell the biography, which is actually true.
"Right of Publicity" generally only applies in cases of commercial speech. Biography isn't commercial speech.

Using a celebrity's name to attract business refers to claiming some sort of endorsement by or affiliation with that celebrity, not just writing about the celebrity. People write about celebrities, without their permission, every day.

Furthermore, most "Right of Publicity" laws require the plaintiff to suffer financial damages, and generally a biography (unless it's very negative) doesn't cause the subject of the biography to suffer financial damages.

...What's new is that RoP is being expanded into areas where it hasn't been used before, like nonfiction literature.
Can you give an example where a Right of Publicity case was brought concerning nonfiction literature? The radio program you linked to concerned a case of historical fiction, not biography or any kind of nonfiction. And, no court has ruled that historical fiction can infringe Right of Publicity. To the contrary, the radio program you linked to said that the author seemed "very confident" that he was not violating anyone's Right of Publicity.

I will be honest and say that I am finding this conversation very frustrating. You are claiming that new laws (or legal rulings) may make it impossible for me to publish a book that I have spent eight years on. If this is true, I should certainly be concerned about it, yet I have now spent most of the evening looking into this, and can not find a single case that backs up what you are saying.

I also don't understand why you feel this is specifically relevant to biography, since the radio article you linked to involved using a celebrity as a character in fiction. If you are trying to find out more about this, wouldn't it be better to ask on one of the fiction forums, since fiction writers on AW probably outnumber biographers 1000-to-1?

Last edited:

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I looked at the website you mentioned (http://rightofpublicity.com/), and saw absolutely nothing about biographies or history books.
I also don't understand why you feel this is specifically relevant to biography, since the radio article you linked to involved using a celebrity as a character in fiction. If you are trying to find out more about this, wouldn't it be better to ask on one of the fiction forums, since fiction writers on AW probably outnumber biographers 1000-to-1?

Listen again. Biography is mentioned several times in the podcast and the surrounding text. Donna Borman is a publishing lawyer, and I'm guessing her information will be more up to date than static websites.

It behooves you to keep and ear to the ground on this subject, that's all. The whole thing is in flux right now, and it's different in every state. Most critical, it may scare off publishers.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
I keep a (non-professional) eye on these issues for writing reasons - and haven't noticed any lawsuits over right of publicity for non-fiction.

The lawsuits that are around appear somewhat contradictory (eg: #3 & #4)

Some interesting examples of lawsuits on the issue of 'Right of Publicity':

1. A scam-artist sued the creator of a play about his life:
Failed because New York's right of publicity only protects against advertising

2. Estate of Janis Joplin sued the creators of a play about her life:
Failed because New York's right of publicity only protects against advertising

3. Former Professional Hocky player sued over the comic book 'Spawn' because a character was named after him ... and the marketing of the book was aimed at hockey fans.
He won.

4. Singers Johnny & Edgar Autumn sued over a comic book which used characters based on them (except they were changed to half-human half-worms)
They lost - there was 'significant expressive content' apart from the singer's identities.

5. Joe Namath sued over his photograph being used on the front of Sports Illustrated
Failed: It didn't infringe even though his likeness was being used to generate sales for the magazine.

It's a fascinating area.

Mac

Last edited:

JudyS

Nonfiction Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Listen again. Biography is mentioned several times in the podcast and the surrounding text...
I did listen to the podcast. They said that if the court ruled against the author in the one case involving historical fiction, it might have implications for biography. That's a far cry from any actual cases about biography being heard in the courts, let alone any rulings that would prevent unauthorized biographies from being written.

As a biographer, I have enough to worry about concerning the reputations of living people mentioned in my book, photograph permissions, and avoiding copyright infringement when quoting. I don't have time to worry about the First Amendment being overturned. If that happens, I'll hear about it, whether my ear is to the ground or not.

JudyS

Nonfiction Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Mac, you and I were posting at the same time. Thanks for your insights. I agree that the rulings in cases 3 & 4 are rather contradictory, but since neither of them involve nonfiction, I'm not too worried that they are relevant to biography.

Status
Not open for further replies.