• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Entangled Publishing

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, now that I've typed 5000 words, am waiting for a phone call from my publisher, and most of the world is in bed, I'm sitting here during a break and reading up on this.

Apparently one of their books just went up on Amazon for preorder, and was immediately pulled down. Stealing and scamming shouldn't be rewarded by a major(ish) publisher, and - as bad as Amazon can be - I hope they hold their ground on this.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
*puts up paw*

Please, PLEASE don't penalize Entangled authors because of this. Believe me, we weren't asked about this deal and there's a lot of us who are gobsmacked at it.

I've got six books out with Entangled - not likely to have any more, but please don't punish me and other Entangled authors for decisions made FAR above our pay grade.

The AR deal sounds as shadowy as hell to me, FWIW. I'm still in a bit of shock about the whole thing.

Finding out that people are going to punish ME for what Entangled did/is doing isn't making it easier. Don't buy AR books, don't review AR books.

Please don't dump on all of us.

Thank you.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'm not going to NOT read Entangled books ever again, but I was literally just given some of their ARCs in the past twenty-four hours, and I won't feel like reading them with Alexa Riley at the forefront of my mind.

It's been a race to the bottom for romance publishing this past fortnight, but I think the Entangled crew might have just have won.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looking at her Facebook page, her books are available on every major outlet except the 'Zon. One that was supposed to go live yesterday goes to a 404 page, and the other titles only list "Amazon - COMING SOON". We'll see what happens next.

Last edited:

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Well unless there's a different Alexa Riley on Amazon --

Seriously???? I clicked on a few of the books and they all have Carina Press listed as their publisher (and the Carina logo on the covers) and release dates of 2016/17. There are also some used self-pubbed paperbacks for prices like $800. Honestly, until this all started I'd never heard of these authors, so while I've read up on the book stuffing I don't know much about their actual books.

Last edited:

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
This may or may not be related, but I've noticed some Entangled print titles show up as published by "CreateSpace." It's all very confusing.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
This may or may not be related, but I've noticed some Entangled print titles show up as published by "CreateSpace." It's all very confusing.

Yeah, I thought they had a print deal with Macmillan. Is that who it was? I can't remember. If they have Createspace books now then they are doing POD books through Amazon now I guess.

Maybe someone with more knowledge of the publisher can confirm.

For those who might know, do they still have books printed through a big house?

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
The do POD books for most of their releases, but for a small number of books, they have a print deal with Macmillan, yes, and these are mass market paperbacks, I believe.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
The do POD books for most of their releases, but for a small number of books, they have a print deal with Macmillan, yes, and these are mass market paperbacks, I believe.

Ah, okay. I knew it was Macmillan but had been so long since I heard I was confused. LOL! I guess the Macmillan deal might be for the bigger sellers?

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Popping in after a long absence to add my $0.02.

They picked up my orphaned Samhain titles, (all books were part of the same series,) including one that had been contracted, but hadn't reached the editing stage yet when Samhain closed their doors. That last one was the only one that went to print and it was POD. The others are ebook only.

Turtle2023

Registered
Reaction score
Watching this. I submitted one of my MSS to them in May. It is still under consideration. Their policy says they will contact you within about 60 days, but in my case they just asked for more time. Going by comments on Querytracker, it looks like they have a habit of asking for more time with MSS, hanging on to them for awhile, then eventually rejecting them.

kelliewallace

Registered
Reaction score
Watching this. I submitted one of my MSS to them in May. It is still under consideration. Their policy says they will contact you within about 60 days, but in my case they just asked for more time. Going by comments on Querytracker, it looks like they have a habit of asking for more time with MSS, hanging on to them for awhile, then eventually rejecting them.
That's a shame. I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: Turtle2023

gabi.pit

Registered
Reaction score
I have received 4 R&R's from the Entangled Publishing and in the end, instead of a deal, I've received a standard decline. Not even a single sentence about the reason why they decided not to go along with my proposal. Sad.

alexp336

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexpendragon.com
Curious if anybody has had any recent interaction with Entangled? There's no mention of Alexa Riley on their site any more (not sure when that happened).

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
This happened to me as well (one of their editors contacted me asking for more time) and then I never heard back.

Turtle2023

Registered
Reaction score
This happened to me as well (one of their editors contacted me asking for more time) and then I never heard back.
I nudged more than a year after submitting and finally got a rejection. By that time, I expected a rejection, so it was a relief to just cross it off my list.

AnonymousAuthor123

Registered
Reaction score
I see this thread hasn't been updated in a while, but I wanted to give you my take on Entangled as a publisher. And yes, I'm writing this anonymously, because I am still published with them. I figured you should hear what it's really like from someone who is a run of the mill romance author who was disillusioned by the charms and starry eyes and hopes and dreams Entangled fills you with.

Put them on the BEWARE list. My experience with them has been absolutely horrible and I'm disgusted with the promises they make and never fulfill. I received a personal phone call that my book had been accepted. The editing process was great. It was after that where they failed to keep up their end of the deal. That big marketing package they tell you you'll get, you'll never see it. That three book series they want you to write... it'll never happen. They'll give you the plot THEY want you to write, and if you want changes to it, it won't be published. You are a small fish in a very big sea. They focus all of their money on their best sellers, like Rebecca Yarros - Fourth Wing and Tracy Wolff. The big money makers are catered to. The rest of us, they don't care about us. We never make any money because they never promote us, they never do a third of the things they say they're going to do. Once you're on board, you won't be able to write in a different imprint. You'll be stuck with whatever you contracted first. You really have no say in your covers, blurbs, or tag lines. They will do those for you and maybe take what you give them into consideration. Your book will never be in bookstores unless it reaches the level of best seller. It will be print on demand and ebook only. I'm just biding my time until I get my rights back. I honestly can't wait for that day to come so I can actually get a cover that will sell the book. And its such a shame, because the reviews are great. everyone loves the book. But I can only do so much. I wish my publisher would've held up their end of the contract.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I see this thread hasn't been updated in a while, but I wanted to give you my take on Entangled as a publisher. And yes, I'm writing this anonymously, because I am still published with them. I figured you should hear what it's really like from someone who is a run of the mill romance author who was disillusioned by the charms and starry eyes and hopes and dreams Entangled fills you with.

Put them on the BEWARE list. My experience with them has been absolutely horrible and I'm disgusted with the promises they make and never fulfill. I received a personal phone call that my book had been accepted. The editing process was great. It was after that where they failed to keep up their end of the deal. That big marketing package they tell you you'll get, you'll never see it. That three book series they want you to write... it'll never happen. They'll give you the plot THEY want you to write, and if you want changes to it, it won't be published. You are a small fish in a very big sea. They focus all of their money on their best sellers, like Rebecca Yarros - Fourth Wing and Tracy Wolff. The big money makers are catered to. The rest of us, they don't care about us. We never make any money because they never promote us, they never do a third of the things they say they're going to do. Once you're on board, you won't be able to write in a different imprint. You'll be stuck with whatever you contracted first. You really have no say in your covers, blurbs, or tag lines. They will do those for you and maybe take what you give them into consideration. Your book will never be in bookstores unless it reaches the level of best seller. It will be print on demand and ebook only. I'm just biding my time until I get my rights back. I honestly can't wait for that day to come so I can actually get a cover that will sell the book. And its such a shame, because the reviews are great. everyone loves the book. But I can only do so much. I wish my publisher would've held up their end of the contract.
Thank you for sharing. Sorry you've had to experience this.

I will say, I have a couple books with a bigger publisher. I was not consulted about the cover, the tagline, or the blurb. I think that's pretty standard for most bigger publishers? But it sounds like you're unhappy with your cover, so that sucks. I'm only mildly unhappy with my one cover. It pops and looks professional, but the mc is supposed to be a teenager and the cover model looks 30 and there are other inaccuracies.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I have a couple books with a bigger publisher. I was not consulted about the cover, the tagline, or the blurb. I think that's pretty standard for most bigger publishers? But it sounds like you're unhappy with your cover, so that sucks. I'm only mildly unhappy with my one cover. It pops and looks professional, but the mc is supposed to be a teenager and the cover model looks 30 and there are other inaccuracies.
I don’t have experience with Entangled, but I just want to weigh in on this because it varies, in my experience. I have four books with an imprint of Hachette and another on the way from Harper. I’ve had cover consultation on only three of those books, and each time it was mentioned in the contract. So that’s definitely something the big 5 won’t necessarily give you. But I was always shown flap copy before it was used and was asked for my feedback. In some cases I’ve rewritten cover copy!

While it may not be a dealbreaker, I do think the author should have some say in that, because it’s a huge piece of selling your book to the public, and you don’t want the copy to be misleading.