Quilters Unite

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Since quilting is a love of mine, lets share our ideas, tips, websites etc...:)

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Oh... dear... Hi, my name is Chris and I have 200 yards of fabric stowed and waiting to be made into blankets.

I have a couple huge plastic storage tubs filled. I'm a fabriholic!:ROFL:With special interest in vintage fabrics.:)

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
I have a couple huge plastic storage tubs filled. I'm a fabriholic!:ROFL:With special interest in vintage fabrics.:)

I'm a junkie for anything that catches my eye. My biggest problem is cutting some of them after I buy them. I have red fabric with ink paintings of cats for the pattern. I've had it for 10 years and can't bear to cut it yet.

I'm in the middle of a woven plaid nine patch as a present for the in-laws.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a junkie for anything that catches my eye. My biggest problem is cutting some of them after I buy them. I have red fabric with ink paintings of cats for the pattern. I've had it for 10 years and can't bear to cut it yet.

I'm in the middle of a woven plaid nine patch as a present for the in-laws.

I'm still working on my crazy quilt. I think it's been almost 4 years now LOL

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hay ladies! I shall turn to this thread in times of sewing distress. I like to make baby quilts for gifts. At least two babies have come home from the hospital in my quilts! But I am still a beginner :) So far I have only birthed a quilt, never binded it properly. That's what I aspire to do! I did make a couch throw sized flannel quilt with a skiing and winter theme, which is the biggest one I've done. I made it for my sweetie but everyone is fond of snuggling it. It's a bit lopsided about the edges but that does not impair its coziness so I suppose it's okay.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
This is one of the projects I had sitting in my sewing box for years. I finally finished it last year because I thought it matched my new front room.

fireplacequilt.jpg

Ohio Rose. It's got a couple of little bees embroidered in silk.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I have one like that. I had to stop because the triangles were getting to me. I will finish it at some point.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any other quilters?

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a quilter. Even donated some small wall quilts to an AW auction a few years back.

Every once in a while, when I'm really stuck with my storytelling, I realize it's been a few weeks/months/whatever since I did any quiltmaking, and I'll spend a day playing with fabric, and, bingo!, the next day I'm back writing again.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a quilter. Even donated some small wall quilts to an AW auction a few years back.

Every once in a while, when I'm really stuck with my storytelling, I realize it's been a few weeks/months/whatever since I did any quiltmaking, and I'll spend a day playing with fabric, and, bingo!, the next day I'm back writing again.

I'm a fabric addict lol

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
As to addiction -- I moved a few years ago, and before I packed, I got rid of pretty much all the clutter in my house, so there were maybe a dozen pieces of furniture, a couple boxes of kitchen stuff, a couple boxes of clothes, and TWENTY BIG RUBBERMAID STORAGE BINS of fabric. And textiles are a lot heavier than anyone realizes, especially when they're neatly ironed and folded and stuffed into those bins.

The moving guys couldn't believe that at least half of the stuff they moved was fabric. Me, I thought it was a perfectly reasonable proportion.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
As to addiction -- I moved a few years ago, and before I packed, I got rid of pretty much all the clutter in my house, so there were maybe a dozen pieces of furniture, a couple boxes of kitchen stuff, a couple boxes of clothes, and TWENTY BIG RUBBERMAID STORAGE BINS of fabric. And textiles are a lot heavier than anyone realizes, especially when they're neatly ironed and folded and stuffed into those bins.

The moving guys couldn't believe that at least half of the stuff they moved was fabric. Me, I thought it was a perfectly reasonable proportion.

I have one large plastic storage tub now. When I moved back in September, I dumped anything that was of any use. Once I settle again, I can see my stash growing. :evil

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
There is a thriftstore in the city that does up bags of quilting fabric for 5 bucks. I love it, you get some great stuff in those, vintage prints and such.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Thread resurrection.

I'm finally getting back into quilting. I'm going to start a tumbler quilt tomorrow using insect themed fabric.

I have two quilts under my belt. One was a yellow and blue log cabin in a straight furrows pattern. The other one is called Chain of Jewels and it was a pattern from Quiltmaker magazine.

I recently moved and rid myself of all my fabric that wasn't cotton. So now I have a lot of Fat Quarters and a bin of random fabric.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still trying to work my way to completion on a couple of quilts.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My log cabin squares ended up not being square. I didn't put enough strips on it. So it would only fit in the straight furrows pattern.

And my Chain of Jewels quilt I just tied. So it's not actually quilted. I was to afraid of messing up. Lol.

Tiny I love your wall hanging. It is gorgeous.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I started with squares. Sewed two seams then cut them apart. Sewing on the bias kills me... I'm rough and I always end up stretching the pieces all to hell.

Have you tried paper piecing that is supposed to keep triangles, diamonds, anything with a bias edge stable and keep it from stretching.

TamaraLynne

Registered
Reaction score
My husbands grandma has a quilting shop. I've been in and looked through alot of her books and would really like to do a window three dee type of quilt with a gypsy vanner horse outside the window.But it is expensive!

She has beautiful quilts on the walls of her shop. She goes to alot of quilting conventions also.

I think quilting would be fun :) not many people do it but once they do...they are hooked :)

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Oh, I love quilting and just discovered this thread! I will only do machine-quilting, tho, because the one quilt I hand quilted nearly crippled me!

I manage, at best, 1 quilt a year even doing it all on machine. Between work/travel and writing that's just all I can do. What I love best about it is the heirloom aspect --it's a wonderful and practical keepsake and hand-me-down. Almost all of them are destined as a gift to someone. My last one was to my niece who just started college and has her first apartment, so it was fun to help her 'get started'

I love Pam Bono's designs. She makes complex designs easy to execute with her approach. I've made a number of her designs. She also offers quite a few patterns for free on her site.

I also often use the Quilter's Cache for free quilt patterns --working on one right now that my nephew asked for as a high school graduation gift.

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I'm a quilter. I haven't done anything in a while because we just moved and all my sewing stuff is still in boxes. I find it very therapeutic and get very squirrelly when I haven't sewn for a while :crazy:

pic1-785006-735792.jpg