The 2011 Horror Hounds Celebration and Contest Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...a novella, fits right in with my not being able to make a short story short.lol

This is going to be fun, I'll get right on it. Thanks Effie, sounds like a great contest!

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I can't wait to see what the Hounds come up with. My favorite stories have come from here.

If anyone has any questions regarding how BLB works, I'll pop in the thread and answer. Our business model is a little different than most publishers.

We DO have a regular website, but the server doesn't want to allow the store to upload. So we're using a paid site (PayLoadz.com) to deliver files. We use the paid version to allow tracking of sales. I've found that I love the interface.

Using blogger cuts down on overhead which translates to more royalties for the author. We take first rights, digital (English) worldwide, but not print. I ask that BLB is considered for print rights-- when we reach that point. Worldwide is only so that we can sell the stories all over the world via the Amazon Kindle Store.

Authors are always able to negotiate their contract.

Authors may withdraw from their contract with no penalties at any time. No fees, no fighting, no legal action on our part. Cover art is theirs to keep if they like. Their story is pulled from the BLB as soon as they notify that they wish to be released.

50% royalties is after fees (Payloadz takes a small amount and so does PayPal) and will be paid once a month to every author that has accumulated at least $10 in royalties.

I plan to post sales data every month so anyone can keep tabs on BLB.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
So it won't be published anywhere (on the web) unless you are one of the winners?

How about the Runner Ups?

I'm trying hard to move from short stories into longer works, but I want to be able to sub the results around :)

eta: did that make sense? If I won first place (right ;)) I'd like the contract, but I don't want to lose first rights if I won 2nd or 3rd or just entered, basically. Sorry to be so blunt, but I want to be clear :)

Last edited:

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
Nothing will be published on the web at all. Haggis, the judges and I will be the only people who ever see the entries. But every writer will receive the notes and feedback from their story, winner or not. You are free to submit it anywhere after the contest is over (considering the top prize, you wouldn't want it to be on submission then win publication with BLB).

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
Nothing will be published on the web at all. Haggis, the judges and I will be the only people who ever see the entries. But every writer will receive the notes and feedback from their story, winner or not. You are free to submit it anywhere after the contest is over (considering the top prize, you wouldn't want it to be on submission then win publication with BLB).

For the BLB part of it, the winner isn't 'stuck' with us. Winning isn't a binding agreement on the author's part. Nothing will be done with the story if the author chooses to sub elsewhere.

I'm happy to format into a .pdf with a cover even if the winner chooses to keep the story and self publish.

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
For the BLB part of it, the winner isn't 'stuck' with us. Winning isn't a binding agreement on the author's part. Nothing will be done with the story if the author chooses to sub elsewhere.

I'm happy to format into a .pdf with a cover even if the winner chooses to keep the story and self publish.

Well, of course, but if they're competing for the top prize, I just assumed they'd want it. ;) It's kind of you to give them an opt out, though.

Kmcelhinny

Registered
Reaction score
This, my dear, sweet Effie is so very impressive. I must bow down to you now *bows* *Bows again* *Bows a third time* :p Hope you're doing well, hon!!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
So, Hinny, you'll be writing about a floating doll head community then? :D

Kmcelhinny

Registered
Reaction score
LOL, I have a dolly idea floating, but I'm not going to be able to join the contest... I'm just here as a spectator and a cheerer... :D

How goes it with you, good sir?

Last edited:

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Dang, Effie, I was all resigned to not being able to participate in this one...and then you posted the prizes. :eek:

I'm going to *have* to at least make the attempt now. I have one beginning that's been sitting around waiting to be finished (*cough* from a couple prompts ago *cough*) that may need to be dusted off.

I need a few more hours in a day...

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Can you submit more than one story? I'm not trying to get a leg up on anyone, it would take more than that to do so, I'm just not a good judge of my crap and don't know which one is better (or not as bad as the other one). If not, then is it okay to ask someone's opinion that isn't a judge and is not participating in the contest?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
How does mythology fit into the 'no vampires and such' rule? I'm not talking about using Poseidon or anything, but is borrowing anything at all verbotten?

I like to play with borrowed things when I write. Hmmm.

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
Can you submit more than one story? Nope.

I'm not trying to get a leg up on anyone, it would take more than that to do so, I'm just not a good judge of my crap and don't know which one is better (or not as bad as the other one). If not, then is it okay to ask someone's opinion that isn't a judge and is not participating in the contest? Yes.

How does mythology fit into the 'no vampires and such' rule? I'm not talking about using Poseidon or anything, but is borrowing anything at all verbotten?

I like to play with borrowed things when I write. Hmmm.

Borrowing is fine, but vamps, were, zombies and the like have been done to the point of a passionate hatred. Plus, I'd like to see some original monsters. I see so many that are similar.

If you "borrow" from other legends, make sure it comes off as a fresh, new thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.