The 2011 Horror Hounds Celebration and Contest Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
:Shrug:

Maybe you should ask in the tech forum, Alleycat or one of the other mods should be able to help you, blunt.

I have word. I don't know about any other formats, I'm a tech idiot. :/

Good luck, hope you get it figured out.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
:Shrug:

Maybe you should ask in the tech forum, Alleycat or one of the other mods should be able to help you, blunt.

I have word. I don't know about any other formats, I'm a tech idiot. :/

Good luck, hope you get it figured out.
Yup. Good advice.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
BFT -

Openoffice can open and edit Word files, and can save to Word format, even if you don't have Word installed. Choose 'save as...' then click the drop-down menu for file type. You want to click Word 97/2000 - the .doc one. And once it's in Word format you can still open/edit in OO. It'll know to keep saving that document in Word.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote my entry in open office...odb or otf or wtf format or whatever the hell that is. When I did rtf or txt it looked like crap. What can I do? Technology is not my friend.

Btw -- if you can't tell by my post, I'm frustrated.

OO doesn't always play well with a RTF or TXT format.
If you want your manuscript in an RTF, you can copy it from the odt then paste it in a wordpad file. You may have to correct for any formatting such as margins and tabs.

OO allows you to save in a word format. Use the drop down when do you a save as. This works great most of the time unless you have odd formatting on the odt.

I currently use a program called Liquid Story Binder and I love it. I used it for this story. It saves to an rft file. The only problem I have with it is that OO will not open the rtf correctly. For that I use the cut and paste method.

If you have any other questions let me know. Used to work at a newspaper and had to convert all sorts of word files.

Oh and I will have a story for this contest. Am polishing and editing it this week.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are we supposed to put our stories in the body of the email or as an attachment? I didn't read through this entire thread, so s'cuse me if it's already been answered.

PS--i dont expect to win, what I'm shooting for is the critique. Since that's a given, I feel like a winner already.

PSS--Wont signing off on the electronic rights be a strike against another publisher picking up the winning story?

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Are we supposed to put our stories in the body of the email or as an attachment? I didn't read through this entire thread, so s'cuse me if it's already been answered.

Formats accepted: .doc, .rtf, .txt

NO DOCX or PDF

Send submissions to evil.chihuey@gmail(dot)com, the (dot), obviously being replaced with, you know, a real dot. Period. Full stop.

PSS--Wont signing off on the electronic rights be a strike against another publisher picking up the winning story?
Why don't you check with SouthernFriedJulie to see what their terms are. Of course, the winner doesn't have to agree to be published there either, but....

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
BFT -

Openoffice can open and edit Word files, and can save to Word format, even if you don't have Word installed.

Not to disrepute Open Office but for my purposes it is over done. For an alternative free small word processor that is compatible with .doc as well as other formats just google PolyEdit Light. I've been using it for nearly 2 years and it has met all my needs.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tried sending earlier. First I forgot to include username. Gmail gives me headaches. Haggis, did you receive my entry? Is the attachment there?

rickjonesbyname@gmail(dot)com

Pulling my hair out!

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Not to disrepute Open Office but for my purposes it is over done. For an alternative free small word processor that is compatible with .doc as well as other formats just google PolyEdit Light. I've been using it for nearly 2 years and it has met all my needs.

I will check it out. I despise Word, but one client has to have everything in Word and Excel formats, so I'm kinda stuck with it. OpenOffice has been a good compromise for me, for the most part. It does have its quirks, though, like everything else. ;)

BFT: Don't go bald, dude. It'll be okay. ;)

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Angie, good to see you. Is that a zebra apaca (sp?)

Effie, can I turn mine in on June 1, or does it have to be before then?

trying to buy more time...

JP Walters

Registered
Reaction score
Finished the last few edits last night. I should be able to put the final formatting touches on it and get it submitted some time tonight. I haven't had a chance to really get any third-party feedback on it though, so I have no idea how it's going to stack up to the other entries.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. Submission sent. *now runs and hides*

JP Walters

Registered
Reaction score
Just submitted mine as well. For better or worse, it's out of my hands now.

Status
Not open for further replies.