• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Olympia Publishers

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
There's e-pub, or just putting it up on a website, if what you want is to share it with the world.

There's LuLu.com and cafepress and the ilk
if you need a solid book to hold in your hands. All you pay is the book-by-book cost.
The 'getting it published' is free.

The distribution is up to you, of course. But then, it is when you go to Olympic, seems like.

I could think of better things to do with thousands of dollars than buy a couple of books and an ISBN number.

Last edited:

MyTorchIsBroken

Registered
Reaction score
Here's something funny. In my search for publishers who accept e-mail submissions, Olympia Publishing requested a sample. They have just responded to a query I had about previously published authors who have done books in a similar vein to mine. The reply I got was about a previously published author of theirs who is about to release a book similar to mine. Obviously it can't be the same, but I was intrigued to find out more.

I had the author's name, and the genre, so I Googled the name, and all I got back was a load of web sites about someone with the same name, such as university lists, and other rubbish. What I did find was that someone with the same name wrote a book in 1977 about sub-atomic presence in micro-cells in relation to disease transmission, or something like that. How can that be similar to a children's fantasy story? I searched Amazon, and guess what - Nothing came back.

The author could be publishing under a different name, but why not be up front about it? I mean, if this "previously published author" is publishing through them again, why not tell me?

I find them very hard work to be honest. I've asked them now for a list of the author's work. I'll post an update as to how long and what the response is.

Spice Islands

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.the-spiceislands.com
I was back in the UK recently and picked up a book called Writer's Market UK. I flicked through it and sent off my brochure to a few likely looking publishers and agents.

Olympia answered and have asked me to send them the usual 3 chapters and synopsis.

I'll send them off but the minute they ask for money then I quit. btw the website looks like it's been copied from elsewhere.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking, as an experiment, of buying one of their books. If I do, I'll check back in here and leave a note about the quality.

johnmayston@hotmail

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Zoe,

My name is John Mayston and I received a letter from Olympia Publishers today asking for 'contributions' although it didn't say how much.

Can you give me any updates on your experiences so far?

Olympia received my manuscript last year and told me that the extract was good but did not meet the minimum word limit. I then emailed them in January and told them my plans for the book and they sent an email to say that it sounded like a 'logical approach.' Suddenly, i received this contract offer today even though they haven't read the manuscript yet!

I look forward to hearing from you.

John Mayston

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Victora: Olympia did not try and con me into going with them, or promice me that I would have an amazing career or anything of the sort. This book is a personal thing.

One generally doesn't feel conned at the stage you're at now. However, if your true hope is to have a career rather than a hobby, you'll probably feel conned within a few years. See my website for my own story with a different vanity press.

I have done this for me, and if only one person (who isn't immediate family) ever buys it and says they like it, then I will be the happiest person alive, honestly.

This is the emotion that publishers like this count on. However, this board is about evaluating publishers as they relate to forwarding an author's career. Except in a handful of cases (about as rare as winning the lottery) vanity publishing does no good to an author's career, and can even do harm. If you're primarily in it as a hobby, then it is far easier to be satisfied with a publisher. However, a hobbyist's satisfaction level with a certain publisher has little to no relationship to a career author's satisfaction level.

Saying that, Olympia have been very good with the marketing, and I have already had a review and quote from Tom Holt, been featured on a number of websites, have been invited to attend signings and will be provided with posters, bookmarks and other promo materials for two exhibitions I am booked for in London and Bristol. Review copies have been sent out to newspapers, local interested parties, etc, so I'm pleased at the way this has gone so far.

I also received some good reviews and an awful lot of web exposure when I had a vanity-press book. Over the course of 3 years, I only sold about 900 copies. Not enough to launch a career. As a hobby, though, it would have been great, but that's not what I want from writing.

Still, my main point is that I'm 23, this is my first book and I actually have something - which I can hold- that I have created. For me, this is amazing, and I know there are thousands of writers out there already, but it is a special feeling, and for a first attempt, I'm quite pleased and happy that this is the end result.

It is a very special feeling. And, you've accomplished much by simply finishing a book, a feat which many never do. However, this board is about facts and data rather than feelings. There are some terrible publishers out there, ones unquestionably worse than your publisher, that also give their authors warm, fuzzy feelings.

It is down to the individual if they want to sign that contract, and for me, it suited me down to the ground. It was what I wanted. I was simply replying to a thread which asked for input, so I thought I would oblige. If someone doesn't like the way Olympia operate, the answer is simple, find someone else and don't sign anything.

Very true, and we appreciate the information you've given us so far.

However, thank you for your advice, I fully understand where you are coming from. You DO have to be careful with vainity publishers, I totally agree and your concern is very kind. I had my contract checked professionally, and I was never in any doubt of wording etc, and I would advise any author to make sure their contract is 100% legit too.
I don't quite know what else to say... It has been a positive experience for me, but I know that out there are companies who would use a new author and play up to their lack of experience. I recieved everything I wanted from this book deal, so I'm happy.

I'm happy that you're happy, and I'm glad you understand our position.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, John and welcome to AW!

John Mayston:
Suddenly, i received this contract offer today even though they haven't read the manuscript yet!

John, ask yourself how they could possibly want to take a risk on a manuscript they haven't fully read. Then take a look at the covering letter and the bit about "contributions". Essentially, any commercial risk they'd be taking is offset by the "contribution" they want from you - it's classic vanity press whereby you bankroll them to publish your book.

There hasn't been any evidence so far that Olympia can get books into stores and the examples of "contributions" asked of other authors have been incredibly high. If Olympia can't put your book in Borders or Waterstones, then you won't sell enough to make those costs back.

Keep querying other agents and publishers and in the meantime, work on your next book. Don't let this outfit get your hard-earned cash.

MM

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Zoe,

My name is John Mayston and I received a letter from Olympia Publishers today asking for 'contributions' although it didn't say how much.

Can you give me any updates on your experiences so far?

John,

Always remember this: Money flows to the writer. The moment anyone holds their hand out ("contributions" indeed!) is the moment you say, "Thanks, but no thanks."

Run away.

Oh, and welcome! :welcome:

~Nancy

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Olympia Publishers has a small ad in the back pages of my October 2008 issue of The Fortean Times.

They share the space with a lady seeking "Astro Partners"--perhaps she is a fan of the dog on the Jetsons--two other vanity houses trolling for customers, an ad for "Voodoo soap" and other esoteric products of an arcane nature, another offering a catalogue for some unspecified "seeds", a novelty company with adult fun products, and an invitation to learn how to read black and white light spectra, (though the person who placed the ad forgot to include contact information so one presumes telepathy is involved), and a more practical media group that will put your Super 8 movies onto DVD.

The Olympia ad in bold, no company logo: AUTHORS PLEASE SUBMIT synopsis, plus sample chapters (3) for consideration, with their name and website.

I learned a long time ago in the pre-Google dark ages that any "publisher" advertising in the backs of magazines--particularly ones that have nothing much to do with the publishing industry--are going to want money from validation-starved writers. It pays for the ads, yanno.

I couldn't find info on their website about charging for publication, so there's the big lie of omission. Their guidelines are ridiculous:

"We require 3 chapters for consideration. These chapters do not need to be in sequence and can be taken from anywhere within your manuscript provided they illustrate your work."

:editor's hat on: I've just spewed coffee on my keyboard. Who ARE these morons?? I want your first three chapters, in order, not random samplings. I have that in common with all the other editors out there who work for legit operations.

Of course this bunch is going to be POLITE and fun to work with--you've paying them 2400 pounds (about 3500.00 US) to get "published. " I run a small e-business and am always polite to my customers! I want them to come back and recommend me to their friends.

That vanity book doesn't count as a pro-publishing credit with agents and editors, either.

You want a book to hold in your hands, fine, go with Lulu. It's cheaper.

You want to be a professional writer?

Write well, then sell. It's the more difficult road, but you get into the really cool parties.

Yog's Law rules!

Last edited:

jpfife

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowdevil.com
And still people are 'publishing' with them. My local, the Dunfermline Press, has a piece by someone who has a book out. The interesting thing is the editing. Quote: "They only took out the buts and ands and changed words like 'peed' to 'urinated'. When I got it back I changed it back to peed."

I don't know what's worse: the guy paying for them to change a few words here and there or him changing them back.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed an ad for these folk at the back of 'Best' magazine this afternoon.

Tiny add asking for 3 chapters and a synopsis. Gives and email address, website and address.

I checked out the site and some of it made my teeth squeaky - there is some very strange editing going on in the descriptions. I'm hoping the quality of the text inside the book is better.

Some of the covers are alright, some aren't.

They publish a wide range of genres - everything from education to romance, which is a bit of a red flag.

Their books are reasonably priced - definately in line with what you'd pay in Waterstones etc.

From their about page:

We continue to publish books by well-known writers and have also given writers at the dawn of their careers the necessary opportunities to have their books published successfully. Therefore, we can now pride ourselves on achieving fame for previously unknown writers. We have been able to achieve this by proven methods of internet marketing and by well-established and traditional forms of promotion. To achieve this we have developed very useful and beneficial links with the Media, and this has escalated world-wide; consequently more and more of our books are reaching the potential that they deserve.

That's some pretty big claim to be making. I had a quick flick through and I didn't see any 'well known' writers. But perhaps I missed them.

Initially all manuscripts submitted to us are considered under non-contributory publishing contracts. This is where no costs are incurred by the author and the whole outlay is taken on by Olympia Publishers.

Should we be unable to offer the non-contributory contract for those manuscripts that would fit in with our high standards and genre criteria, an alternative means of being published is considered. This would be under a slightly different form of contract which is contribution-based. We would like to point out that the promotion and marketing of all our books is carried to the same depth regardless of the type of contract that is offered.

This is the bit I found interesting - so they only charge sometimes?
No mention of what the charages would be though.

http://www.olympiapublishers.com/

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had an offer to publish from them that didn't involve 'offering a contribution to expenses'?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
As with many vanity publishers, the claim of "non-contributory" contracts is probably only a marketing ploy to draw in customers.

I'm not at home right now, but if I'm remembering right, Olympia charges several thousand pounds to publish.

- Victoria

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Olympia is still going strong. I was recently informed that they accepted a submission from a Raider Publishing International victim; one can only hope that he'll baulk at the expense and decline their 'offer'. Here's their acceptance letter:

Dear [redacted],

I would like to thank you for your patience during this time. My
editorial team have now reviewed an evaluated your work.

I received various reports covering different aspects of the work,
such as style, quality of writing and the suitability to genre. I am
pleased to say that we find [redacted] to be of considerable
merit and believe it would appeal to the reading public. Having read all the evaluations and taken note of the editors’ reports, I can state they were impressed with your work and find it would be suitable for publication.

Although your work is well written and has literary merit, commercial decisions have to be made in this fiercely competitive and saturated market. I believe that every author – untried or unpublished – should be given the opportunity they need to have their work published so that the reading public can be the judges.

My goodness, yes! Because the reading public likes nothing more than passing judgement on books that no-one other than the writer deems worthy of publication. And vanity publishers like nothing more than taking money from writers who are desperate to see their work in print.

Bearing this in mind, your work has been commended to the Publishing Board which is reluctant to take on the whole cost of the publishing process in the current circumstances. However, the Board would like to invite you to make a contribution toward initial production costs.

I bet it would.

Please consider this offer carefully. We will obviously bear the main burden of costs, which, I am sure you will appreciate, over the lifetime of the book will be considerable.

How many times have we heard this? It's far more likely, given that Olympia is a POD, that the main burden of costs will in fact be borne by the author.

At this stage we are seeking only an agreement in principle. Please note; both parties are still free to withdraw at any point until contracts have been signed.

The contribution would be a finite figure, which can be paid over 12 months, and will be finalised by the Publishing Board once a contract is requested by you. Once we have received your response, a publishing contract can be prepared and sent to you. Please be aware that this figure is not decided until you request to view the proposed contract. Unfortunately, we could not offer a traditional contract at this time.

I wonder how many traditional contracts Olympia can offer?

Please let me know whether or not you wish to view the proposed publishing contract for your work. If you have any other questions regarding publishing then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely,

Max Stern

Chief Editor

Olympia Publishers
60 Cannon Street
London
EC4N 6NP

Last edited:

Unhappy

Registered
Reaction score
Olympia is still going strong. I was recently informed that they accepted a submission from a Raider Publishing International victim; one can only hope that he'll baulk at the expense and decline their 'offer'. Here's their acceptance letter:

My goodness, yes! Because the reading public likes nothing more than passing judgement on books that no-one other than the writer deems worthy of publication. And vanity publishers like nothing more than taking money from writers who are desperate to see their work in print.

I bet it would.

How many times have we heard this? It's far more likely, given that Olympia is a POD, that the main burden of costs will in fact be borne by the author.

I wonder how many traditional contracts Olympia can offer?

I just read back to the beginning of this thread. What amazes me is the total lack of pride such publishers like Olympia and indeed Raider Publishing International has. They are 'outed' on the Internet so one would expect them to hang their heads in shame and to disappear, but no, they continue to charge high fees and continue to offer amazing contracts. I think the rule that someone seeking publication should apply ought to be: if it sounds too good to be genuine, it is not genuine.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I just read back to the beginning of this thread. What amazes me is the total lack of pride such publishers like Olympia and indeed Raider Publishing International has. They are 'outed' on the Internet so one would expect them to hang their heads in shame and to disappear, but no, they continue to charge high fees and continue to offer amazing contracts. I think the rule that someone seeking publication should apply ought to be: if it sounds too good to be genuine, it is not genuine.

Another appropriate rule would be: if they won't show you the price tag, you can't afford it. What's all this 'we won't know how much it will cost until you indicate the desire to sign on the bottom line' nonsense?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
They care about making money. As long as they're making money and not in trouble with the law, they'll continue. Sadly, a lot of authors don't do the required research, or are too willing to believe the untruths, and as long as those authors are willing to pay people like this enough for them to continue, they will.

MikeBWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know Olympia Publishers? [merged into BR&BC thread]

they're the third publisher to like my sample and want to read the whole thing.
But I did something silly, I've been approaching publishers who say they get back to you in six months.
I don't have my latest novel completed.
I got impatient and have started approaching publishers too soon.
Anyway, I still want to know if the publishers that are interested are legit.
Does anyone know anything about Olympia Publishers?
They want to read my full novel but I've contacted them to say that I don't have it finished yet but I have this other novel that is somewhat finished.
This might be a burned bridge, so yea, learn from my mistake and I'll try to learn from it, too.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This Olympia Publishers?

There's already a thread about them in the Bewares, Recommendations and Background Checks subforum. Here's the link. (A mod may be along shortly to merge this thread with that one.)

It looks like they're still masquerading as a trade publisher when what they really are is a vanity press. In their About Us section, there's this telling statement:

Should we be unable to offer the non-contributory contract for those manuscripts that would fit in with our high standards and genre criteria, an alternative means of being published is considered. This would be under a slightly different form of contract which is contribution-based.

Meaning - we're probably going to require you to pony up in order to be published by us.

And although I think you've probably learned this lesson already - if your novel isn't finished, don't query it. Just don't.

RoseRomance1987

Registered
Reaction score
The last post with any information on this publisher is from 2016. Does anyone have anything new to report on how they are doing in the last two years? Experiences? Thoughts?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're still a vanity press masquerading as a legitimate publisher, if that's what you mean.

Kate JR

Registered
Reaction score
2023 - just found an email in my email spam from them. Went to their Facebook page and there's still many people singing their praises and giving glowing recommendations. It's very sad. I just left a comment to say 'hybrid' is a euphemism for vanity publishing.