Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I lived in Hawaii between 1974-78, and I remember strongly how destructive Kilauea could be when it was riled. I hope everyone is staying safe.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

A series of earthquakes caused the eruption.
Minor nitpick here. The earthquakes in this case didn't cause* the eruption, they occurred as the magma pushed up through the rock.

**Rarely a large quake might impact an eruption, cause magma chambers to shift. And technically the moving tectonic plates which cause earthquakes are also responsible for most volcanoes. So the whole system is intertwined.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Minor nitpick here. The earthquakes in this case didn't cause* the eruption, they occurred as the magma pushed up through the rock.

**Rarely a large quake might impact an eruption, cause magma chambers to shift. And technically the moving tectonic plates which cause earthquakes are also responsible for most volcanoes. So the whole system is intertwined.

I went by what someone in the video reported.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I went by what someone in the video reported.

Wasn't personal. I'm frequently out to educate the world. Can't help myself. :tongue

BBC is showing a couple home videos that are really cool. USGS person: they've known for weeks it was building to an eruption. Sounds like everyone and their pets are safe but it's not known if any homes will burn down like before.

I was there in 1983 when this round of eruptions began. It's been going on that long.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I lived in Hawaii between 1974-78, and I remember strongly how destructive Kilauea could be when it was riled. I hope everyone is staying safe.

It can be horrible. Just the ash is bad, but falling lava is not fun. I'm hoping everyone is safe.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
It can be horrible. Just the ash is bad, but falling lava is not fun. I'm hoping everyone is safe.

Pyroclastic flow / nuée ardente (likely what killed the people of Pompeii) is especially nasty. None of it is good though.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pyroclastic flow / nuée ardente (likely what killed the people of Pompeii) is especially nasty. None of it is good though.

Wrong kind of volcano. ;)

Not downplaying the danger here mind you. Slowly oozing lava can look benign but still contain very explosive gasses. And not much stops the lava pouring though housing developments.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Just been reading the FB page of a friend in Hawaii and at least one of the magma-caused earthquakes was big enough to shake up the north side of the Big Island.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I live in North Texas, in a tiny town. We had a quake last night that hit about 8 miles north from 5km deep. 3.5 on the scale, lasted for maybe six seconds. No damage here, but my cousins were closer and in prefab housing, so they felt it more acutely.

This is the second "significant" quake we've had in the last 5 years (meaning a quake we could feel) and both times it felt like a car slammed into the garage, but this time, the floor rolled, too. I DO NOT understand how people can continue to live in areas where the numbers are closer to 7 on the scale. Yikes.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Yeah, earthquakes are scary. I've lived in earthquake territory most of my life. And only experienced two, maybe three, earthquakes of 5 or more on the Richter scale.

And that's why we can live in these areas. The earthquakes we can feel aren't that frequent, and most of those aren't deadly.

Now, fire,...that's another story.

Most of us in earthquake territory feel the same way about those of you in tornado and/or hurricane territory, btw.

Done of the above is to minimize your scare.

You learn never to place breakables above your bed or bathtub.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Methinks someone is a volcano geek :)

I am too of course - took a class in college called “Earthquakes and Volcanoes”. Probably one of my most memorable classes ever, due to the subject matter and the professor. We affectionately called it “Shake n Bake”

Back on topic, hope everyone is staying safe and out of harms way.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Methinks someone is a volcano geek :)

I am too of course - took a class in college called “Earthquakes and Volcanoes”. Probably one of my most memorable classes ever, due to the subject matter and the professor. We affectionately called it “Shake n Bake”

Back on topic, hope everyone is staying safe and out of harms way.

Sorry, hope I didn't get too far off-topic. :eek: That didn't happen to be “Earthquakes and Volcanoes" at the UW with Tony Irving did it?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yes. Holding the good thought for the safety of all AW members (and everyone else) in CA fire country. Please let us know how you're doing, if you're able.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My cousins live in Redding but they are close to the center on the city map and away from the fire areas. But what a nightmare more than 1,000 houses destroyed and those poor people caught in the fire.

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
My niece's boyfriend's family lost their home in Redding. I used to spend summers near there with my cousins and the Sacramento River is not a small river there. It's terrifying to think a fire could jump it so fast. I have family east of there, likely not to be in the way of this fire but give it time, I'm sure there will be another fire in their area. *Sigh* I got the official notification to evacuate from my home near the Ferguson Fire last night. From what I'm hearing from coworkers it picked up it's activity and spotted over containment in a few places. I voluntarily left last week because the smoke was so bad. This is now the second time I'm evacuated from a fire.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kitkitdizzi - so sorry. Stay safe.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Glad you'd already evacuated, Kit. May you have a home to go home to.

May your cousins stay safe, MaeZe.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal