Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Holding the good thought for Tocotin and others in the path of the tsunami. Likewise for everyone in Southern California fire country.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, thank you, Lakey and Siri! :heart::heart:

The typhoon is gone and it seems that all my friends are safe, but a lot of people are injured or missing. The authorities in Tokyo issued the highest level of disaster warning (5) yesterday evening, we could hear it (barely) over the speakers in our neighborhood, but it was too dangerous to evacuate, so we stayed. The water seeping through the window was scary, but that was because the eastern wall took all the impact and the ledge over the window broke – nothing more serious happened. The TV footage is unreal though – whole houses falling into rivers... :cry:

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope they find all the missing people! I'm glad you're okay Tocotin.

And I hope no more houses burn down. Enough is enough.

:Hug2:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And yet the fires continue. My cousin lives in Pacific Palisades but she's not had to evacuate yet.

Several of my friends on another forum were evacuated last night at 4 in the morning. They have gotten out, pets in tow. They don't know what they'll be coming back to. I hope all of our members here are okay.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hoping for minimal damage and danger from fierce fires in Australia.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Hoping that all the Brits are okay with all this flooding - danger to life in some parts of England and Wales :(

My parents live near the River Stour (the Dorset one) which is currently more like Lake Stour and when I drove there yesterday was very close to flooding the road. Thankfully my parents' house is on a hill so not likely to flood but I need to make sure they don't get cut off if there's flooding on all the nearby roads.

A lot of places have much worse flooding happening already or expected with threat to life https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51541282 looks like Wales is worst hit at the moment, but Yorkshire, Staffordshire and some English places are badly hit. Please look after yourself if there's flooding where you are!

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Those floods from Storm Dennis look appalling. I understand the central pressure was somewhere around 920 hPa, which is pretty darned low.

SE Australia is experiencing extensive storms and flooding, largely in the fire-affected areas. You can imagine the outcome.

(I don't even bother to engage with climate change deniers any more.)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do protest safely, America - and don't forget the coronvirus is still a thing.

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
Do protest safely, America - and don't forget the coronvirus is still a thing.

I don't think the government is going to let us protest safely. My sons were in Seattle on Sunday and they were flashbanged and tear gassed while in a completely peaceful group.

It's already ugly out here and it's going to get worse.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think the government is going to let us protest safely. My sons were in Seattle on Sunday and they were flashbanged and tear gassed while in a completely peaceful group.

It's already ugly out here and it's going to get worse.

I think you're absolutely right, and I don't know what to say any more. It's just horrific.

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
I think you're absolutely right, and I don't know what to say any more. It's just horrific.

It's so ugly right now. I can't not-protest though. I have a 9 year old daughter that needs to see that standing up against injustice is the right thing to do, even when it's hard. We live in a small town and I'm hoping the protest on Saturday won't be met with violence, because we're bringing her.

I can only hope that from this pain comes some kind of positive change.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's so ugly right now. I can't not-protest though. I have a 9 year old daughter that needs to see that standing up against injustice is the right thing to do, even when it's hard. We live in a small town and I'm hoping the protest on Saturday won't be met with violence, because we're bringing her.

I can only hope that from this pain comes some kind of positive change.

Thanks to you and your family for your efforts and good will, and best wishes for your safety this weekend. :Hug2:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to you and your family for your efforts and good will, and best wishes for your safety this weekend. :Hug2:
Thirding this.

There will be protests down here again this weekend, which will denounce similar racism and violence in Australia - specifically Aboriginal deaths in custody, and the brutal treatment of Indigenous people by police.

ETA: "I Can't Breathe"
"These are the last words of many people who have died in police custody, whether that is in the States or here," Ms Wharton said.

Last edited:

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you to all the well-wishers. :) It's hard to stay positive with what's being revealed every day about my country. I think I need to take a "news vacation" tonight after work. I'm lucky to be privileged enough to be able to do that.

It's a great time to escape into a good book at least! Writing or reading. Por que no los dos?

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
We had a safe, productive protest! The police did not riot. :) I was glad that the kids got to see positive activism in practice.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Started by lightning, encouraged by drought, over 560 fires are raging across California.

Please pack a go bag and have your car ready to go if you're advised to evacuate.

Remember to pack medicines, and water and food for pets.

Please let us know how you're doing.