Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, Siri--having checked in over in the activism thread, I didn't think to check in here, too.

I'm fine--we live over two hours away. Although we almost got caught in the flash flood yesterday in Chico (they closed down 99 while we were still on it), but all it did was add some hours to our drive.

Lots of aid pouring in from all over. We donated at first, but there's also lots of random stuff now, like buy a drink at Subway, and they'll donate a dollar. That sort of thing.

I'm hoping Home Depot will get into that game. Lots of people are going to be needing building supplies. Their foundations should be okay, but walls and roofs aren't cheap.

My prayers for all the fire victims and also earthquake victims now.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my area we gotten this message:

Acting Chief Communications Officer Brad Harwood, City of Bellevue AGENCY

There is currently a nationwide 911 outage which is affecting our region. Techs are working to resolve the issue and hope to have it fixed in the next few hours. If unable to reach 911 you can still text 911 or call 425-577-5656 [if you are in the Bellevue area].

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Christ! I was almost asleep when my phone went off blaringly reminding the 911 system was down.

Hope it doesn't turn out to be a conscious act.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I emailed sassandgrove to see how she was doing. She's out of the tornado zone, and VERY busy.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Flooding here in Oregon. Yesterday when we went to knee PT in Eugene (where Siri Kirpal lives), we passed a lake where farmland used to be between Tangent and Shedd. Water was lapping at the edges of Highway 99.

Farther south before Eugene, parts of Junction City were under water, so we went east to get there.

This morning, the bridges to Corvallis are closed, and detour traffic is slowed to 10 MPH. If snow melts in the mountains, things could get worse.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'm okay, Chase. We live on a hillside and have been able to get to dental appointments and stores, etc. At the dentist's, I did talk with a woman who lives on a farm. She said that the pond for their livestock had turned into a lake. But she was able to get to the dentist too.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Big crane collapsed in Seattle while it was being dismantled. Looks like about five six cars crushed and they've said there are four dead. The cars are absolutely flattened where the crane hit.

Update, two of the dead were crane operators and two were in two different cars. That means people in the other cars were injured but not killed and it sounds like they are all going to be okay.

You can see from two of the cars that it would have been very hard to have survived.

Last edited:

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Northeast Oklahoma is under water.

It's really bad. Keystone Lake, near Tulsa, is releasing water twice as fast as Niagara Falls. Points downriver, like where I am, are seeing the worst flood levels in 70 years. The flood control reservoirs were at capacity before the storms started hitting last week, and have been releasing water as fast as they can. Several communities near me are cut off completely.

The bright spot is that there's been no loss of life due to flooding so far. The Arkansas is supposed to be cresting today and starting back down in a day or so, but we've got rain in the forecast next week.

https://www.facebook.com/heath.holmes.33/videos/10156624753554582/

https://www.facebook.com/heath.holmes.33/videos/10156621838944582/

https://www.facebook.com/Robert.B.Mueller/videos/10157407565311584/

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We've got quite a few members in the midwest areas being hit hard by floods and multiple tornadoes. Hope you're ok and staying safe.

OFG you're in our thoughts.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
We've got quite a few members in the midwest areas being hit hard by floods and multiple tornadoes. Hope you're ok and staying safe.

OFG you're in our thoughts.

The city sirens went off and we and the kids spent a good bit of Monday afternoon in the basement (after I ran next door to alert the neighbors, who are grad students from out of town and didn’t know what the sirens meant). But we’re basically okay.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I hope people in the area of New Orleans are doing okay.

There’s a combination of the storm Barry, which has just been upgraded to a Category 1 Hurricane and is coming unusually early for hurricane season, and the Mississippi River cresting extra high and for extra long, owing to massive rainfalls upstream this spring.

The good news is the river is expected to crest two feet lower than they had initially thought, at 17 feet instead of 19 against 20-foot levees.

Still probably going to be a rough weekend.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anime and Manga are us. I feel like kin to those victims of the Anime workers killed by the deranged arsonist in Japan. We are Anime. We are Kyoto. We are Japan. :cry:

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Anime and Manga are us. I feel like kin to those victims of the Anime workers killed by the deranged arsonist in Japan. We are Anime. We are Kyoto. We are Japan. :cry:

I was so sorry to see this, both heartbreaking and terrifying.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California, U.S. San Fernando Valley is on fire; Saddleridge area.

Thinking of so many friends and members, and hoping for safety.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
There is a gigantic typhoon bearing down on Tokyo right now - sustained winds of up to 100mph with gusts far beyond that, is what I am reading. I have heard from our Tocotin; the hatches are battened and thus far everything is okay except for a leaky window. The worst of the storm is just about to reach Tocotin’s neighborhood.