Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Well that was an interesting evening.:sarcasm

The remnants of Florence spawned tornadoes, at least 5 just in Richmond. Work made us shelter in place away from the windows and then hunker down in the basement. It's good to be home safe.

At least one man was killed when a warehouse blew apart - video: https://youtu.be/9GQLDbyoU_o

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you're OK, CWatts. The flooding looks horrendous.

And that video is clearly of a rotating cloud, kind of a tornado wannabe. They may classify it as a tornado.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great to hear you're okay! I heard about the tragic storm. Hopefully this will die down soon.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Yeah, it was weird. During the "hurricane" days, we had barely any rain and a little wind. Not even enough to dislodge the stuck branch from my tree. Now today, when schools and work reopens and life is meant to resume as normal: tornado warning, tornado warning, torrential downpours with flooding, tornado warning...It's like the hurricane knew we were waiting it out and held back until we stopped expecting it.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it was weird. During the "hurricane" days, we had barely any rain and a little wind. Not even enough to dislodge the stuck branch from my tree. Now today, when schools and work reopens and life is meant to resume as normal: tornado warning, tornado warning, torrential downpours with flooding, tornado warning...It's like the hurricane knew we were waiting it out and held back until we stopped expecting it.

Exactly! To top it off, it was my first day back at work after breaking my ankle (while on vacation last month on the NC coast...sigh). But at least I got to take the elevator to the basement.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well that was an interesting evening.:sarcasm
I know, right? - We were bracing ourselves, but thankfully, it passed over us - The sun is (finally) out today, and it's glorious.

Sorry about the guy that was killed - Everyone spoke well of him
:cry:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

We chanted this evening for all the dead caused by this "little" windy downpour. Waited a bit so we could get the ones who were late to dying.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And please, if you are told to evacuate, do it. And urge your neighbors to do the same.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have cousins in Malibu and Calabasas. Haven't seen anything on their FaceBook pages yet. It's weird because I have another cousin+family in Redding. They posted pictures of the fire on the surrounding hills but weren't burned out where their house was in the middle of town.

And how sad, one of the fires is close to the bar where the last major shooting was.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
That police chief said he has not been to bed since the night before the bar attack.

The city of Paradise has been obliterated.

There are lots of power/wi-fi outages, so social media may not be an effective way to find info.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have family near Camarillo, where the Hill Fire is threatening. Spoke with them about 2 hours ago. TV, landline, and internet were all down, but cell phones working. Still had power at that time. They are packed and ready to grab the cats and go if the word comes.

MM

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Co-worker who lives in the raggedy, still middle-class part of the 'Bu lost her house today. Her, her 87 y/o mother, and her old parrot. I'm devastated, can't even imagine how she feels. :cry:

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
My aunt and uncle live near Paradise. They evacuated yesterday and are safe at my parents' house. We have no idea right now if their house is still standing. I am really sick of fires.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Has anyone seen CathleenT? I know she lives in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas.

Also, if you are an evacuee and need help (or need to get help otherwise), area Gurdwaras and Sikh homes are opening their doors and providing food, shelter and other necessities. You can call 1-888-243-1690 or email [email protected]

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hoping Blacbird and all our other friends near Anchorage are now safe and warm. :e2grouphu