Will need an editor soon!

FredCQ

Registered
Reaction score
I am nearing completion of my novel and will certainly want to turn it over to a professional editor before I try to do anything serious with it. So I have a few questions:

1. It seems to me that I can contract and editor to either just proof read the story and fix grammer and spelling errors that I may have missed or I can get someone to give it a serious look and help work out story-related issues as well. I will probably go with the former but I am concerned about finding someone who specializes in the genre that I am writing in. Is there a good way to approach finding the right editor?

2. Can anyone recommend a good editor who they have already worked with. I am guessin that it is going to cost some $$$ to get my book edited so I want to make sure I chose the right person.

If I am way off base about this whole process, please set me straight!!

Thanks!

Valona

Registered
Reaction score
Why not try joining a private critique group. There are literally hundreds of them on the internet and other places. Join writing groups and you should be able to find them. The only cost would be the effort of critiquing the other member's works.

Sounds like a less expensive way to go to me, and I think if you get into a good group, one you can trust, their advice will be just as valid as a paid editor.