Well, I dove in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

izanobu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anniebellet.com
Why didn't you just format and upload your book directly to Kindle and Nook and Smashwords? I imagine you'll have better luck doing it yourself, though I don't know anything about Lebrary.com, but you'd be earning a lot more than just 30% on a 4 dollar book published directly (60% at least, 70% on amazon.com).

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I've got the same question.

Smashwords would even have caught some of the formatting errors (been ther, done that myself so that's not a criticism). You could also have gotten a free ISBN by listing them as your publisher.

Diving in cold is not always well-advised no matter the level of your passion.

Acid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.durhamongames.com
Thanks for the congrats.

I found Lebrary through a group on LinkedIn. It's a very simple, free, pdf/epub publisher. The contract is non-exclusive, (I'm soon to be on Nook and Kindle when BN and Amazon approve).

The only stickler is, if you land a traditional publisher or choose to leave Lebrary, it asks for a month's notice. Reasonable, I think.

I was unaware of Smashwords when I self-published on Lebrary. Oh well.

julie thorpe

Registered
Reaction score
I read your sample, Acid, and I regret to say that the poor formatting was a real turn-off. I also felt there was a clear need for some rigorous editing. That's not to say I think the writing is poor. But IMO the presentation is.

Acid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.durhamongames.com
Julie: I just redid the formatting to scale with the browser width. I'm not a webmonkey and I can't afford one - nor can I afford a professional editor. I've rewritten this book about 5 times (not hyperbole) and had my wife and a friend go over it for typos and mechanics. It's raw, but it's the best I can do without professional services.

julie thorpe

Registered
Reaction score
Fixing the format will make a big difference. Best of luck with it, and I hope it does well. I too am considering that route. Keep us informed!

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I agree the formatting is rough. Do you know if the .pdf looks better, and it's just because of a faulty html conversion for the webpage sample? However, I didn't find the writing in need of "rigorous" editing. I really think the formatting is the biggy. It's confusing, because I can't tell if there are scene breaks and the indentation is all over the place.

In regards to review spots, I write YA paranormal romance, and I found a number blogs that were open to ebooks. I'm not sure your genre, but you might want to research someone else who's got an indie ebook in your genre and then google their book and the word review. That might be a good way to find reviewers open to books like yours.

I second the recommendation to run it through the smashwords meatgrinder.

julie thorpe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Acid. Not quite there yet I think. Like you I'm not well versed in the mysteries of computers, but there should be someone here who could at least help you how to get the formatting sorted out. I'm thinking mostly about the Tabs/no tabs question (ie at the beginning of paragraphs etc). And there is a convention for time breaks (where you have used ***, but I can't help you with it since I'm such a technophobe myself.

Just want you to know that I would be a potential reader if I wasn't so distracted by such issues. The sample is a real teaser and I think you write well- do hope you can get some help quickly-

Best, Julie

julie thorpe

Registered
Reaction score
Have just reread the earlier answers. It looks as if it would be worth your while looking at the Smashwords option, as several others have recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.