Downloading AVG for free?

DKM

In an interstitial space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dkmiddle.wordpress.com
I've tried downloading AVG 8.5 on the official AVG website. This site says it's for free, but apparently only on a 30 day trial. However, I've been informed that it's (free w/ no strings attached) out there, just that I'm not hitting the right link.

So, I tried other approaches and the second time it supposedly cleaned up some viruss, but wanted my credit card info to continued cleaning.

Can someone give me the exact web address or steer me in the right direction on downloading this program?

All comments welcome.

DKM

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
It will constantly ask you if you want to buy, but you have to find the little "No, thanks, I want free" link and click it.

Or you can do the 30 day trial and still have free after the trial is over. It pesters you constantly to buy, though, but since it's free, I can't blame them.

You can also go to cnet and download it there.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Or, if you have legal copies of all your Microsoft programs, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials for free. It's one of the best AV programs and doesn't try to sell you anything.

Emerson

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll give another recommendation for Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, does the job, and doesn't bother me unless it's necessary.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like nagware.

Freeware: always free, never bothers you.
Nagware: pretty much free for all its features, but may make things slightly inconvenient by constantly asking you to buy or donate.
Shareware: free for a limited time, but forces you to buy if you want to keep using it (and becomes useless otherwise).

Deleted member 42

Do keep in mind that anti-virus programs often do not play well with each other, so don't download and install all of 'em.

Jettica

Superfluously multisyllabic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jetink.blogspot.com
I went from AVG to Avast but then discovered Microsoft Security Essentials so I'll give that a third recommendation. Doesn't slow down your computer, runs in the background. Very good.

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
I'm going to pop in here at the risk of getting rotten tomatoes thrown at me, but Microsoft Security Essentials isn't that great.

I had MSE and a virus pretending to be an antimalware and antivirus program, penetrated my computer. I couldn't go passed go. My computer was held hostage.

After I got the virus taken care of, I switched to AVG and I had one penetration. I think that was my fault though and clicked something I shouldn't have. After that, I've been free of virus related problems.

Different people will recommend different antivirus programs, but Kaspersky, AVG, and Avast seem to be on the top. Talk to a computer expert and see what they recommend.

Gilead

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. Probably first post. Signed up ages ago, can't remember if I've posted anywhere else. But felt I should post since I didn't see this bit of the original post get addressed:

So, I tried other approaches and the second time it supposedly cleaned up some viruss, but wanted my credit card info to continued cleaning.

Legitimate programs should not do this. Those programs that do are usually scams/spyware that will take your credit card information and then load viruses *onto* your system, not remove them.

See this link for a news item on a scam specifically involving a piece of malware using AVG's logo:

http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/fake-avg-scam-software-cops-name-and-logo-real-av-020111

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:

Val367

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there

As someone who works in IT can I throw in some advice please :).

Avast, AVG and even MS Security Essentials are all ok. Just ok though.

I've worked on other people's PCs for years and over the last 12 months especially, I've noticed that the Malware and Adware are becoming more of an issue than the viruses.

While Avast, AVG and MSE (the free versions) will pick up most viruses, they really struggle with Malware and Adware.

There are a number of products around that will stop viruses and malware/adware but they all cost money. The average cost here in Australia is around the $100 mark for your Symantec (/shudder - pls never buy this), McAfee, Trend etc. The only one that I've found that was reasonably priced was Kaspersky Internet Security Suite for $39 for 12 months.

I use it myself and recommend it to all my users after I fix their machines. Funnily enough I have never been called back to a site that has started using Kaspersky but I have had to go back to other users who wanted to still with the 'free' AV programs. I guess they were happy to pay $120/hour for me to get rid of the viruses and malware ;).

Thats my 2c and like all free advice - you're welcome to do with it as you will.

Cheers
Val

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used AVG Free with no issues for the last three years but today deleted it and downloaded Microsoft Security Solutions instead.

Reason?

Other thread below this re Virus on Optical Drive Issue which was a pain in the butt and I couldn't be bothered fiddling about every time I wanted to play the game concerned.

The game loads satisfactorily now - touch wood.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I use Microsoft Security Essentials plus I've installed the pay version of Malwarebytes. With both programs running, wmv and webpages open a little slower, but Malwarebytes has caught a number of malicious sites, saving me from big problems.

I'm pretty sure Malwarebytes runs first followed by MSE, so I'm not sure if MSE would have caught the malware sites. IMHO, the slight loss in speed is well worth the security I've enjoyed since I've installed the anti-malware program. It was well worth the $25 investment.

greggranger

Registered
Reaction score
I stopped using AVG because it used more resources than Avast. Avast has daily updates and the active scan doesn't use much system resources. Using a combination of that and PeerBlock I seem to never seem to have any problems as PeerBlock helps with the spy/malware.

Synovia

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Bostonian in Baltimore via Chicago and DC
Or, if you have legal copies of all your Microsoft programs, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials for free. It's one of the best AV programs and doesn't try to sell you anything.

This.

I hate microsoft as a whole, but MSE is so much better than anything else on the market. It finds more, it doesn't use as much resources, it doesn't break as many things. Its just a very nice product.

After I got the virus taken care of, I switched to AVG and I had one penetration. I think that was my fault though and clicked something I shouldn't have. After that, I've been free of virus related problems.

Different people will recommend different antivirus programs, but Kaspersky, AVG, and Avast seem to be on the top. Talk to a computer expert and see what they recommend.

I am a security guy. MSE is really good. Much better than Kaspersky, AVG, or Avast. We're on MSE because we kept having issues with things getting through on Avast and AVG.