Greetings. My goal is to actually FINISH something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfunk

Registered
Reaction score
I've always had an interest in writing, and wish I had pursued it more actively in college. Ten years on, and I have notebooks and scrap paper filled with ideas, outlines, phrases, chapters, intros, etc., but never actually committed myself to the work that is involved in writing a novel (structure, plotting, determining POV, etc.).

So instead of waiting for all my awesome ideas to just flesh themselves out, I am resolved to complete my first novel. I majored in history, and am using my love of research and poring over minutiae to write a historical novel that takes place in 18th century London. I also have the seeds of an idea for a historical/fantasy novel, but first things first.

Wish me luck!

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Good luck, pfunk, and welcome to AW!

Excellent goal, and one I've finally achieved myself after slaving over a manuscript these past few years. The 18th century is one my favourite periods (after the 16th), and my own book is set in London, so you're in good company! There's lots of resources in the Historical Fiction forum, and you're welcome to join us in SF&F as well :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Hello there! Welcome to AW and good luck in finishing that novel. I also write historical fiction, but (and I almost don't dare to say it) hardly do research. Still all my facts are correct and reviewers praise me for my knowledge. Guess it's all in the brainc cells? I read thousands of books, and was (am) fascinated by history.

Nickie

pfunk

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Anne. If there's one thing I've noticed, it's that there's a wealth of online resources for London, which has been great. I spent a week in the Old Bailey archives one day.

So, Nickie, you're like one of those kids who never had to study but always got high marks, eh? I have a hard time figuring out when to stop researching and start writing, but I enjoy immersing myself in that kind of stuff. At least that's what I tell myself for not having a photographic memory.

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Brandt

give it to me straight
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome pfunk. Having minored in history, I admire your ambition. Good luck with the novel.

William Randall

Hey driver, to the top of the world
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck and welcome! I'm also here (AW) to finally finish my novel. Like you, I've had many ideas, outlines, and started projects, but no finished novels to speak of. Good luck in your quest.

KatieT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shelfishlyaddicted.com
Hi, pfunk! I'm new here, too! I love Historical Fiction, and for a while, I even wanted to be a Christmas Historian (yes, there is such a thing!).

I understand exactly where you're coming from. I, too, have notebook upon notebook of plot ideas, character names, bits of dialogue, a story title, and so on. It's been a long time since I've finished something, and I've been pretty disappointed in my lack of follow-through.

We can do this! I believe being part of the AW Forums will help us immensely. I look forward to exchanging thoughts with you in the future :)

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, pfunk, and welcome. Good luck with your project--sounds like you have a right good start.

Harry Douthwaite

Travel Videographer Extraordinaire!
Registered
In Time Out for My Sins
Reaction score
History eh? Oh I do love History... Geography and Historical Geography even more so. LOL

Welcome, and have fun!

Jason58A

Registered
Reaction score
good luck and welcome! My next novel is a medieval period piece, research is hard. But you'll finish it.

AKyber36

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, pfunk! I'm new to this site, too and I have a goal like yours. I also have tons of drafts from years ago, character bios, synopses, art (I also draw) and all of this information. However, I never went anywhere with that. Now, like you, I'm determined to get something done.

Historical fiction is also a favorite genre of mine. More for reading, though, and less for writing. Guy Gavriel Kay's a favorite author of mine, so if I did historical fiction, I'll probably go into the "based off but not exactly accurate" take on history. Kind of like what Jacqueline Carey did for her Kushiel series. There are some cultures that really make me interested, like the Celtic, Nordic, Chinese and Japanese ones.

cosmia

~
Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome! That's an excellent goal. I finished my first novel last year (it was for nanowrimo so it was terrible, but oh well) and it felt great!! Now I'm trying to get through another. Good luck with yours!

Eggle

Write or Wrong
Registered
Reaction score
Hi pfunk, good luck with your historical novel!
uma

Status
Not open for further replies.