ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
According to Amazon. You can preorder it, and quite a few folks have. The thing's supposedly out in June, but is yet to have either cover art or even a title. It's hard for me how to see that's even possible, but there it is.

Wonkette's already got a thread about it.

Strike while the iron's hot -- this kid will go far.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I always think of a memoir as from someone that has a few more years on them........................

Huh, what do I know?
(What in the world would be so interesting about her life?)

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
The publisher (William Morrow) and ghostwriter must have a super-duper rush on the thing. But no title yet and no cover art four months before the pub date? Wow.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be pre-ordering my copy!:sarcasm

Last edited:
Reaction score
I really hate this family.

I wish there was a way I could block any news about the Hiltons, the Lohans, The Kardashians, The Spears and the Palins from every coming into my field of view.

Someone needs to invent a program that could do that.

I put the word PALIN and not even this thread would appear.

That would make me happy.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
The most fascinating thing to me is that, although they say things move very slowly in traditional, dead-tree publishing, clearly that is not always so.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The most fascinating thing to me is that, although they say things move very slowly in traditional, dead-tree publishing, clearly that is not always so.

Not when big bucks may be had.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Enter the four horsemen.

That's pretty awful, but somehow not as head exploding as Lauren Conrad's three book contract, the details of which I saw one night on TV and have remained like horrifying flotsam in my brain. "I read sooo many books in school! I mean, I guess I read the Spark Notes."

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Besides, half the book will be about Dancing With The Stars.

I don't think so. It will all be about being a pregnant teen who gets dumped by an opportunistic redneck with a few lonely neurons, having awesome parents who let you shoot moose, or meese, and the wonders of having a baybee.

That way, it can simultaneously extoll the joys of abstinence and family life so it can sell alongside the Left Behind books and those other things, they're not so much books as book shaped objects. Janette Something? Turner Oke.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to reply, but decided Bristol Palin wasn't worth inconveniencing any electrons.

Reaction score
I don't think so. It will all be about being a pregnant teen who gets dumped by an opportunistic redneck with a few lonely neurons, having awesome parents who let you shoot moose, or meese, and the wonders of having a baybee.

That way, it can simultaneously extoll the joys of abstinence and family life so it can sell alongside the Left Behind books and those other things, they're not so much books as book shaped objects. Janette Something? Turner Oke.

I hope there is an entire chapter dedicated to THE DUDE.

Title it: Chapter 4: The Dude

My dad is such a dude. One of my first memories is when I was around 4 years old of the dude taking me out for a ride on his motorcycle....

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
The good thing is the publisher will likely makes lots of money, which may allow said publisher to later pay a new author lots of advance money.

Beyond that, retasting my lunch was most unappetizing.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
in a world where snooki has a novel and justin beiber has a biopic, are we really surprised?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eh. This is like getting indignant about Kenny G's Duotones (or whatever - pick one) being a dumb version of jazz, or saying that Miles Davis' Bitches Brew is a sellout of jazz. They weren't put out as jazz; people just assumed that's what they were meant to be. But they weren't. I'm sure nobody's claiming this mooted memoir is going to be capital-L Literature.

Fish-in-a-barrel stuff.

Last edited:

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
On the one hand, I don't really care. I have no interest in reading it, but there are dozens of books out there that I have no interest in reading. So more power to her, right?

On the other hand, there is this part of me that wonders what the point of it will be if she doesn't take the opportunity to slap around her ex a bit. I certainly think he deserves it. However, doing so will only, in the long run, hurt their baby. It's bad enough when parents can't get along. I have a few friends that are single Moms from a teenage pregnancy. They all tell me that while they wouldn't trade their baby for anything in the world, they hate the fact that they are tied to the worthless bastards. I know one couple where the biological father shows up here and there, gives orders and presents and makes the moms life miserable. Has for years. The mom married a friend of mine who had to bite his tongue for years because he felt it was wrong to belittle the girls father. (Ten years later of being the one to take her to school, teach her to read, coach her volleyball team, etc, and the girl has made it clear she thinks her step dad is more of a father than her biological father.)

On the other hand, there is the possibility that her book may not do that, so I'm back to my first hand.

But still, on my last hand, I guess there's a part of me that's pissed that she gets a book deal when I haven't. My book, I guarantee, is better.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard for me how to see that's even possible, but there it is.

I think things like this are a way to disguise kickbacks, bribes, laundered money etc. A politician does something for some lobby and then when they are out of office the lobby buys 50,000 copies of memoirs that nobody reads or they get paid lecture fees where the lobby buys all the plates at 10 grand each and no lecture ever takes place.

Centarch

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't you have to have done something in life to warrant a memoir?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's it gonna be called? "How I Got Knocked Up By A Redneck and Went On to Fame and Fortune?"

More garbage from the Wasilla Hillbillies. :e2tomato:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Celebrities, even fleeting ones, have always "written" books. People are interested in knowing about them, for whatever reason. How do you think she got on Dancing With The Stars? Talent?

Her book is no more about writing than her TV appearance was about dancing -- less, probably. Though she had help from pros, she still had to actually do the dancing herself.

I'm sure the book will sell many more copies than anything I've ever written. But it's always been that way. I don't see that her book deal is any more annoying than the multitude of others like her who have preceded her.