"The best first chapter in all of literature"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
The first chapter of "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy is up there for me. It sets the stage quickly, painting a picture as bleak as the landscape that the soulless characters will traverse. It's a tough read, brutal really. I also quite like the first chapter of "Moby Dick". The introspection of Ishmael makes him familiar to you right out of the gate.

scott85

Registered
Reaction score
During the interview he says that one of the most devastating novels he read as a child was Thomas Hardy's The Mayor of Casterbridge, and that in his opinion it is "still the best first chapter in all of literature".

Really!? I thought it was a decent story when I read it in a Victorian Lit class back in high school, but best opening chapter ever?! Was John Irving having marital problems at the time he said that?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'd pick John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany. Wham bam, that's a good first chapter.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Really!? I thought it was a decent story when I read it in a Victorian Lit class back in high school, but best opening chapter ever?! Was John Irving having marital problems at the time he said that?

Yes, and he was so frustrated trying to find a sailor to buy his wife. Damn sailors, these days they expect to get wives for free.

Jake.C

Registered
Reaction score
Hate to go for an obvious choice, but you just don't get much better than this.

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.

She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita.

Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, a certain initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns.

Brindle MacWuff

Registered
Reaction score
Spike Milligan - "Adolf Hitler, My Part In His Downfall"

It seems totally effortless, and is completely addictive.

MisterFrancis

Registered
Reaction score
I can't abide Thomas Hardy.

My vote for best first chapter ever goes to Charles Dickens. Either Bleak House or Hard Times.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Pride and Prejudice is a strong contender. It immediately establishes the tone, characters and setting of the novel.

STKlingaman

Followed the Red Brick Road
Registered
Reaction score
Bram Sroker's - Dracula
comes to mind, only because it
took me like 5 tries to get pass
the first 40 pages and finish it.

ColoradoMom

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.the-simple-homeschool.com
For me, the best first chapter is one which makes me think "Holy shit! Didn't see that coming!" at the end of it.

And the only book that ever did that to me was Woken Furies by Richard K. Morgan. Of course, this is the third book in a trilogy, so I was pretty heavily invested in the character by the time I got to this particular first chapter.

I realize that Morgan is no great literary writer, but his Takeshi Kovacs trilogy is probably the best first person writing I've ever read...especially since first person is normally something I put up with, rather than look for.

Alchemenos Prausti

Registered
Reaction score
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by Joyce. To me, it reads like a great short story. And perhaps it should have been; I don't much care for the rest of the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.