Don't be one of these writers (inappropriate pitches)

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm staggered. I don't think they're funny at all, frankly.

I hope all editors don't get treated this way. Thanks for posting this link!

*Just sitting shaking my head*

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yeah, I think they're more "funny" in the bitter, rueful, "oh gods, get me off this planet" way. Most of them are just clueless idiot stories, but the restroom incident should have been reported to hotel security, especially as one of the comments said those people tried to intimidate their way into another attendee's room.

But they do make me feel better about myself. I'm often told I'm not aggressive enough in promoting myself and grabbing the spotlight. Now I feel very, very comfortable with how I put myself out there. :D

amrose

is Envy Augustine
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that over sharing thing comes from all the advice online to "make yourself interesting" and "stand out"

Some people take that too far.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. The one in the restroom sounds like something Stephen King might write a book about.

The one with the riding crop made me laugh, though--not gonna lie.

entropic island

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness.

Those are incredible stories. I mean, I don't have too much experience with professionalism, but I'm fairly sure they're doing it wrong.

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
The riding crop was one I hadn't heard before, but fairly entertaining. The rest are unfortunately, apparently very common-place. Several years ago, I was at a writer's conference and my agent along with several other well-known agent friends were going for drinks and invited their clients along. They entertained us for hours with stories about being stalked by crazy writers.

A couple of years ago at an RT convention, I was sitting outside a room waiting for an interview and an editor for a major house was sitting across from me. We were chatting about normal things when a woman walked up, introduced herself and informed the editor that they'd had her book for six months and she hadn't heard anything yet. Then she placed an open laptop in the editor's lap and said "Since you're just sitting here, you can read it now."

Nothing surprises me any more.

KaiaSonderby

The Little Aspie That Could
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aerodaydreams.livejournal.com
A couple of years ago at an RT convention, I was sitting outside a room waiting for an interview and an editor for a major house was sitting across from me. We were chatting about normal things when a woman walked up, introduced herself and informed the editor that they'd had her book for six months and she hadn't heard anything yet. Then she placed an open laptop in the editor's lap and said "Since you're just sitting here, you can read it now."

Nothing surprises me any more.

After six months, I admit I might be tempted to do that. But I never actually would. I can understand the frustration, but frustration is no reason to lose your professionalism.

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
After six months, I admit I might be tempted to do that. But I never actually would. I can understand the frustration, but frustration is no reason to lose your professionalism.
Actually, six months is nothing for a major publisher and without having an agent. Which is exactly why everyone says you need an agent. Some people wait easily a year or more for a read.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
Wow. I can't believe... okay, I guess I can believe it.

And here I was talking to an agent at a meet-and-greet and told him I'd be querying him soon but wasn't going to bug him about my book now and here's on to my real question... and then felt really awkward and inappropriate for even mentioning my book. No way I'd ever pitch an agent without an invitation...

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Great link, but disturbing. I think the authors in those stories are going to be lucky if they find and agent, editor, or publisher with their kind of behavior. Professionalism always pays off (though it doesn't always mean you'll get an agent, editor, or publisher. :D)

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Pitching in restrooms isn't only the preserve of writers.

Mac Davis, a songwriter, heard that Elvis the Pelvis was coming to a hall in his town. So he hid himself in a cubicle where he expected the King to take his throne.

Eventually, Elvis came in. Mac did his pitch. Elvis said, "let me hear the song, boy."

Even though he'd instigated the whole bizarre scenario, Mac thought it strange.

But he sang up anyway.

And that's how Elvis first heard In The Ghetto.

Regards

Whacko

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
wow. just wow.

KaiaSonderby

The Little Aspie That Could
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aerodaydreams.livejournal.com
I'm 49 and I had to look that one up! Just a whip, I guess. :evil:ROFL:

A riding crop is actually intended for use with horses. It's um...forgive me for being Freudian here, but it's made to be stiff. To the best of my knowledge, most other forms of whip are bendy.

Of course, horses have thick skin and you need a lot of force to hurt them with a crop. I don't want to think about what they feel like for humans.