China's J-20 stealth fighter in action

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
Let me get this straight. When the Soviets intervened in Afghanistan it was an invasion, and when the United States invaded Lebanon it was an intervention. Or was it vice versa?
Where did I say that? I said you misrepresent the situation in Lebanon prior to the events. And you are. The revolt was a result of just as much outside meddling as US intervention. It wasn't some constitutional revolt by democratic forces against a would be dictator.

EDIT: And, yes, US actions were qualitatively different from those by the USSR. After quashing the revolt US didn't uphold any puppet unpopular figure head. It found a way to restore constitutionals order that satisfied everyone (while you "would be dictator" returned to the political scene several more times as an active popular political figure)

Last edited:

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
The same people who tricked us into invading Vietnam, Lebanon, Thailand, Laos, The Dominican Republic, Cambodia, Grenada (Pop. +/- 100,000), Panama, Honduras, Iraq, and scores of other instances that were limited to air and naval operations?

Not to mention that in the 1970s Russia was a major power-broker in Africa without having to invade anybody.

And now they have tremendous reserves of oil and natural gas while the rest of the world is having trouble with its shaky dependencies on oil.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another article on this, bottom video hows the two footages next to each other in slow motion. They do look scary similar.

Even the bits flying off (debris) are the same size and shape, and move at the same speed, near as I can tell. I'd be comfortable saying they used Hollywood movie footage here as propoganda.

Which is actually rather funny, until you start to think about it, I guess.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't the first time they've done this. China keeps forgetting that it's not so closed off these days, and these embarrassing things keep happening when they basically trot out a bunch of lies for internal consumption, only to discover some foreigner or (gasp!) Chinese national wants a verity check.

Such as when an article from The Onion was passed off as truth, and the new manager in question essentially said, "That doesn't mean it's not real!" Apparently, Dan Rather stole a page from his handbook.

So yeah, this is clearly bogus. Would be amazing to discover that China has a squadron of American F-5 target drones, though.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
CIA is now reporting that 75% of Chinese fighter pilots play beach volleyball with no shirt on.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
CIA is now reporting that 75% of Chinese fighter pilots play beach volleyball with no shirt on.
...and the other 25% look like Kelly McGillis.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hey CD,

It's taken a while to get back to you, but...

The same people who tricked us into invading Vietnam, Lebanon, Thailand, Laos, The Dominican Republic, Cambodia, Grenada (Pop. +/- 100,000), Panama, Honduras, Iraq, and scores of other instances that were limited to air and naval operations?

I don't remember more stars going on the US flag in rememberance of each new state joining the Union. Unlike a certain regime that usually picked its targets well.

And I'm going to look like a right arse if somebody else has pointed that out already.:D

So I'll leave this space for an ETA!

Regards

Whacko

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey CD,

I don't remember more stars going on the US flag in rememberance of each new state joining the Union. Unlike a certain regime that usually picked its targets well.

And I'm going to look like a right arse if somebody else has pointed that out already.:D

So I'll leave this space for an ETA!

Regards

Whacko

What do stars on a flag have to do with invasions?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com

Isn't that exactly what the stars represent? 50 stars for 50 states.

I have a 48 star flag, btw, from back before Alaska and Hawaii.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
What do stars on a flag have to do with invasions?
I think the point is supposed to be that because we didn't turn them into regular sources of tribute tax revenue, the invasions really don't count.

whacko

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was a wry and pithy statement. And it is when you're pithed.:D

But, Don hit the nail on the head. I think.

Regards

Whacko

CDSinex

Imagine something clever here.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Huh? The countries I listed were all invaded by the United States. I'm not sure how the “adding stars” thing changes that.

Picked targets well? Like Reagan picked Granada (pop 100,000)? It is true we didn’t stay there. But, I can’t help but think of Tom Lehrer’s song, Send the Marines, They've got to be protected,/All their rights respected,/'Till somebody we like can be elected.

I'm curious as to which nation, or nations, other than the United States, added stars to their flags through invasion and war (ignoring, for fear of digressing, the fact that the entire country was built on land taken mostly at gun point from the original inhabitants)?

As for adding stars, correct me if I’m wrong but I believe Texas, present day Utah, Nevada, and California, as well as parts of New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, and Wyoming were added to the United States as the result of our defeating Mexico in 1848.

I’m also curious which stars represent Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, the U. S. Virgin Islands, and other parts of our far-flung empire?

Last edited:

whacko

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious as to which nation, or nations, other than the United States, added stars to their flags through invasion and war...

That was my laboured, labored even, point. The USSR invaded and absorbed countries. Old Glory still has 50 stars, even after the invasions you mentioned.

(ignoring, for fear of digressing, the fact that the entire country was built on land taken mostly at gun point from the original inhabitants)?

Yes, I think I'll just skip over that and hope nobody notices.;)

I’m also curious which stars represent Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, the U. S. Virgin Islands, and other parts of our far-flung empire?

Ask Mr Obama. He thinks you've got 59 States already.

Regards

Whacko