• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Where to get started in the world of writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
First step is to study the craft. Being able to write a grammatically correct sentence is not the same as writing professional prose. (Kinda the difference between putting on a bandaid and doing brain surgery.)

Read -- a lot. Write -- a lot. If there's a local writers' group, look into it. Look into local conferences.

"Learn with Uncle Jim" is a good place to learn and practice. There are also books and courses. You have to find what works for you. There is also college-level instruction.

Some people are perfectly happy writing fan fiction for their friends. Others like to write original stories for their friends and family. Others aspire to write professionally. There are poets, screenplay writers, nonfiction writers, short story writers, and novelists. Experiment and find out what you love and what you excel at. (Those aren't necessarily the same thing!)

Find your passion. Writing can be a discouraging field. There's a lot of rejection, and the competition is fierce. Don't do it because you think it will make money for you -- an awful lot of writers don't make a living wage (without help from spouses with health benefits and steady jobs). Write because you can't not write.

Oh, and if you decide to pursue writing professionally, research the business side of publishing. AW is a great place to start. Go into the business with your eyes wide open. It is a *business*.

Last edited:

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
whimsical rabbit it is also correct it is important to know why you write. but for me, I started writing because someone saw the potential in me. Then I wrote because I enjoyed it. Lastly because it is just a part of me. It is who I am and it does seem that I have a knack for it. Either that or I'm long winded.

These seem perfectly good reasons to me. :)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Being able to write a grammatically correct sentence is not the same as writing professional prose.

True, but it also doesn't hurt to be able to write a grammatically correct sentence. I'm met more than one person convinced they can write good prose without having to worry about grammar (and spelling and punctuation).

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
True, but it also doesn't hurt to be able to write a grammatically correct sentence.
Very true. If your mechanics are lacking, address that! Editors are not going to fix your sloppy mistakes for you. You're competing against people who can both write an awesome story AND produce a clean manuscript. Which do you think the agents and publishers will choose?

knudsonmichelle84

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleknudsonwriter.com
I agree.

First step is to study the craft. Being able to write a grammatically correct sentence is not the same as writing professional prose. (Kinda the difference between putting on a bandaid and doing brain surgery.)

Read -- a lot. Write -- a lot. If there's a local writers' group, look into it. Look into local conferences.

"Learn with Uncle Jim" is a good place to learn and practice. There are also books and courses. You have to find what works for you. There is also college-level instruction.

Some people are perfectly happy writing fan fiction for their friends. Others like to write original stories for their friends and family. Others aspire to write professionally. There are poets, screenplay writers, nonfiction writers, short story writers, and novelists. Experiment and find out what you love and what you excel at. (Those aren't necessarily the same thing!)

Find your passion. Writing can be a discouraging field. There's a lot of rejection, and the competition is fierce. Don't do it because you think it will make money for you -- an awful lot of writers don't make a living wage (without help from spouses with health benefits and steady jobs). Write because you can't not write.

Oh, and if you decide to pursue writing professionally, research the business side of publishing. AW is a great place to start. Go into the business with your eyes wide open. It is a *business*.

I couldn't of said it better. AW is the best place around on the world. I did hire an editor to edit my articles due to my disability. It is the only thing that saves me. I am kinda challenged so it makes things more difficult for me to accomplish more than others.

knudsonmichelle84

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleknudsonwriter.com
Very true. If your mechanics are lacking, address that! Editors are not going to fix your sloppy mistakes for you. You're competing against people who can both write an awesome story AND produce a clean manuscript. Which do you think the agents and publishers will choose?

I hired an editor to edit my articles. I'm disabled. She is the only thing that saves me. It is quite a challenge for me to accomplish as much as other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.