Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a month. I'm WAY too impatient. I want to nudge, but feel like ALA/BEA/4th of July just happened...but I want my feedback. *waits impatiently* *sits on hands*

How's your thriller going, Mel?

Aslera

Not an exact science
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't write all weekend...turns out I had a hard time writing a gritty urban fantasy while sitting in a very remote area of upstate NY. Then I had to come home early for a sick kitty :(
I wasn't in the writing mood at all tonight but I used the "egg timer" method of write for 30 minutes and see where you are at the end of that. It worked! I had a goal of writing 1,000 words tonight and I wrote just over 2,000. Happy with that!

I have to bottlefeed kittens and medicate my cat when I get home, so chances of me writing before bed are low, but I exceeded where I wanted to be, so I think I'll be OK if I stay on track tomorrow.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Aslera, where in Upstate, NY? One of my novels, a large scene takes place in the mountains of the Catskill Region, where I myself used to camp with friends. My cousin lives in Pinebush, so we go up there sometimes as well. Heck, I've been to quite a few Upstate locals (grew up in NYC ;))

Smiley, it's not coming or going anywhere :( It's just sitting there, sad and alone and waiting for me. I just can't find the quiet time to do it. I'm not good at ignoring my kids and even when they are being really good and I can get them to sit and watch a movie or something, I have this strange anxiety that they are going to come to me any minute needing something or my help, or to referee a fight for them. When I do have time, it's usually around 10pm and by then my brain is fried. Totally sucks. I'm sitting at over 70K and getting ready to write the exciting climatic scenes which will bring on a huge twist/reveal. I'm going to have to find a way to freaking do it, though. I hate the thought of waiting to finish it when the girls go back to school as that is 2 months away! So. Can't. Happen. That. Way.

In the meantime, I'm reading, so all is not lost. Reading City of Lost Souls (my fave series ever--as you know from the What are you reading thread) and just got my buddy, Bethany Griffin's book (Masque of the Red Death) and will be starting on that next.

ETA: Oh, and I just received 5 chapter from a guy who won a bid for a critique from me and another girl from that auction that raised money for the Andy Whitfield charity. So, I'll be working on that.

ETAA: A month? For 30 pages? (you did say it was 30 pages, right?). Gah! Seems like it should have been done already. I mean, it being a "contest" and all. Sheesh. LOL

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Mel, I have the same issues when my kids are around. We tried to get around that by making the sunroom into my office, but I hesitate to separate myself from the kids. I just know they will open that door right when I get into a writing groove.

The upside is, I spend a lot of time with my kids and their friends:) They are a great inspiration for those evenings when 10 p.m. isn't so late.

I am too busy reading anyway. I am just about done with my review book and have three library books on 14 day loans with long waiting lists for me to read. I am going to be busy! Read, read, read! Popular fiction. Yay!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
JK Rowley, glad to know it's not just me. And the upside of it is wonderful indeed. I'm running myself totally ragged with taking them to all kinds of fun (mostly free) activities and having playdates (which is always good for me as well because I get a mommy playdate ;)). I really want to enjoy this time with them because these years are flying by and I know the day will eventually come when chillin' with mom is so not cool. LOL Hopefully, though, they will never feel that way (*dreams*).

I'm up early today. Hubs just kissed me goodbye (as he does every morning before leaving for work) and I decided to stay awake and see if I can get some writing done. Downing some java right now to wake the brain and praying the kids don't choose TODAY to wake up early. haha.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
LOL at your girls never leaving the idea that mom is cool. Yeah...I'm 23 and I've just readjusted to the idea of "mom is cool" again :tongue Teen years sucked that outta me! ;)

And yes it is a 30page crit from a contest (end of May). I know the agent went to all the conferences last month, but she is closed to queries until mid-Aug, so &^%$# I just want my crit!! I am tempted to nudge but a friend told me to wait til the end of summer (her cuz got feedback from an agent via contest and said the response took months). BLAGH! (I'm doing an R&R so I *really* don't want to have to wait more than 1 more month for this feedback)

Mel, how can you love anything past CoG??! I <3 that trilogy. :snoopy: Yea that's right - trilogy. (I tried picking up CoFA and didn't like it@all, so I declare the CC books a trilogy:tongue) I can't WAIT for the movie, btw! August 2013:D!!(I blogged about it today)

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Mel: I'll definitely let you know if I need a beta when I'm done. This is the roughest rough draft I think I've written. I'm trying not to edit myself as I go and just let the words get on the page--a completely new experience--so we'll see what shape it's in when I'm done. It may be a while before I'm brave enough to let anyone see it! (There's a chapter in SYW that I was tempted to delete, haha).

Trying to push through today and write at least a chapter! If people would leave me alone at work...

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning everyone! There's no mistaking that I belong in the Old Person thread. :tongue But it's nice to be here at AW among younger oldies and older oldies like myself. If you think I'm avoiding telling you how old I am, well yeah maybe, LOL. I guess sometimes I feel like, what the heck am I doing writing YA when I'm old enough to have 3 teens (and an 8-year-old) in the house. I do love to read it, though.

Well, better get to work rewriting my first chapter. After posting it in SYW, I think I need to start over.

Aslera

Not an exact science
Registered
Reaction score
Aslera, where in Upstate, NY? One of my novels, a large scene takes place in the mountains of the Catskill Region, where I myself used to camp with friends. My cousin lives in Pinebush, so we go up there sometimes as well. Heck, I've been to quite a few Upstate locals (grew up in NYC ;))

;) MORE upstate. Adirondacks. Near Blue Mountain Lake ish area.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I guess sometimes I feel like, what the heck am I doing writing YA when I'm old enough to have 3 teens (and an 8-year-old) in the house. I do love to read it, though.

I think that's a perfect time to write YA. You're surrounded by teenagers so you don't forget how they really tick. ;)

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I'm back from Miami. Great weekend! Not a lot of writing...oops. But I did sort of expect that.

Hope everyone had a good weekend :p

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Dorothy, that is so cool. You have a great voice and an even better sense of humor.

I have the first edits on Divided Moon in my inbox. This is part of the publishing process I was looking forward to, but now I am scared. I need to take a deep breath and see what she has to say. I am afraid it will be full of red ink (although maybe that would be a good thing).

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
LOL at your girls never leaving the idea that mom is cool. Yeah...I'm 23 and I've just readjusted to the idea of "mom is cool" again :tongue Teen years sucked that outta me! ;)

And yes it is a 30page crit from a contest (end of May). I know the agent went to all the conferences last month, but she is closed to queries until mid-Aug, so &^%$# I just want my crit!! I am tempted to nudge but a friend told me to wait til the end of summer (her cuz got feedback from an agent via contest and said the response took months). BLAGH! (I'm doing an R&R so I *really* don't want to have to wait more than 1 more month for this feedback)

Mel, how can you love anything past CoG??! I <3 that trilogy. :snoopy: Yea that's right - trilogy. (I tried picking up CoFA and didn't like it@all, so I declare the CC books a trilogy:tongue) I can't WAIT for the movie, btw! August 2013:D!!(I blogged about it today)

THEY FINALLY HAVE A REAL DATE OMFFFFFFFGGGGGGG YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAAYYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!

I might be just a little excited by this news. OM#%$*$%!#@$%^G!!!! I actually enjoyed CoFA and I'm enjoying CoLS. It's def taking me longer to read the books as I'm not as addicted sucked in where I want to completely ignore life like I did for the first 3, but I'm still enjoying them. I just can't help it I freaking love Jace! And I'm really liking the relationship between Jordan and Maia in this one and Isabelle is one of the most awesome kick-ass characters ever. I'm swooning over all of them. LOL

Okay, off to check out the news about the movie!

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
I LOVE that video! Hilarious!!

LOL, don't know if you mean mine or the Cookie Monster one, but I'll say thank you anyway. ;)

Dorothy, that is so cool. You have a great voice and an even better sense of humor.

Thank you!

I have the first edits on Divided Moon in my inbox. This is part of the publishing process I was looking forward to, but now I am scared. I need to take a deep breath and see what she has to say. I am afraid it will be full of red ink (although maybe that would be a good thing).

Don't worry. You're right, it's part of the process. And the first one will be so overwhelming. But just remember, your editor is taking out everything that someone might tear apart and bad mouth in your book, and adding in things that will help with flow and pacing and such. They are making your little piece of gold shine! It's a lot of work (believe me - I had to ask for a three-day extension), but you can do it! *plays the Rocky theme song for you*

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
;) MORE upstate. Adirondacks. Near Blue Mountain Lake ish area.

Yeah, you are waaaay up there. Must be BEAUTIFUL. :)

welcome Periwinkle. Having actual teenagers must make for some GREAT material LOL. Mine are only 6 and I'm DREADING the teenage years. Though I do have an 18 SS but sadly he's turned out to be a bit of a douche. He's not even allowed to come to our place anymore because we didn't like the way he was treating his sisters (would ignore them and treat them like they were maggots on fleas on dogs :(). He was one of the most miserable teenagers I've ever known and I pray HARD my girls aren't that bad. Just so full of anger all time. Ugh.

Anyway...

I got some writing done today!!!!!!! I drank my coffee this am and got about 1.5 hours of writing in before the girls woke up. I got my groove back, people! Woot! I'm going to start getting up early every morning to write. I love it! They say your brain is at it's freshest the first couple of hours you are awake. It's so true. Unless it was a fluke. Hmm...

Now worries, Stiger. Whenever you are ready :D After the girls go back to school will be better for me anyway ;)

Aslera

Not an exact science
Registered
Reaction score
Done at work! Now to do cat rescue stuff and then to WRITE. My initial word count goals were too low. I need to write the crap out of this story over the next week. Seriously. Not that I can't do it, I've written this much a day for a story if not more, but it's a little intimidating. I feel like I need to stand in front of a mirror and roar like I'm getting ready for battle or something.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Jill, you can do it! You are a professional and you will kick the living poop out of those edits!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished up book #2 in the series. Now I have to go through and see what needs to be edited before I send it off. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.