• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Words that irk

Status
Not open for further replies.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys:

Just wondering if there are any words that for whatever reason irk you? Personally, I can't stand "dialog" (prefer "dialogue"), "societal" ("social"), "alot" (break it up), or "alright" (same here). And "methinks" drives me up the wall. I also tend not the like words that start with k despite my son's name being Kal-El, which I love.

_Richard

Last edited:

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kudos and namaste. I know they're positive, but I hate them. I also hate cutesy substitute words like staycation and veggies.

AllHorsesPost

Registered
Reaction score
I hate the word tummy. Detest it. When I hear someone say it I want to slowly strangle them.

I also hate the word yummy.

I think there is a pattern here.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
And incorerct use or spelling. But what I really hate is when a writer sticks any ten dollar word in a two dollar sentence.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
for me, very few if any--everything has a place. lots of things can be mis-used though, like the ten dollar word in a 2 dollar sentence, or things close but not quite the same (social and societal, for example, are not identical in meaning--societal has a singular definition where social has many possible meanings....infer and imply are actually very different, but sometimes used interchangeably :p )

Octopuddle

Happy Obsessive
Registered
Reaction score
'Gotten.' It's not even a word!! Hate it.
My biggest hate of all is 'would of' instead of 'would have.' I tend not to read any further once I see that! It never fails to ignite my temper.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Went. Told. Got.

Funny enough these are the same words my students use over and over in their stories. I wonder why they irk me.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Gotten isn't a word? Even in cases like "I would have gotten the answer if you didn't tell me!"

I've discovered a strong dislike for food adjectives like "savory" and "flavorful." They sound pretentious and silly to me. Delicious works just fine. So does "It tastes good." Anytime I hear things like this it makes me think of someone trying to sound like a restaurant reviewer and it annoys the hell out of me. :tongue

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've discovered a strong dislike for food adjectives like "savory" and "flavorful." They sound pretentious and silly to me. Delicious works just fine. So does "It tastes good." Anytime I hear things like this it makes me think of someone trying to sound like a restaurant reviewer and it annoys the hell out of me. :tongue
One of my all time pet peeves is waitstaff who say, "How is everything tasting?" First of all, my food hasn't been capable of "tasting" since the moment it was slaughtered. Second, "quiz patrons about food flavor" is not the purpose of waiters and waitresses. Flavor is the least likely reason I'd need wait service. /rant.

amrose

is Envy Augustine
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Deets" referring to numbers.

"Sitch" referring to situation.

I also find I hate the word(s) "Shit-kickers" for boots.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
grimace

It's over used. "He grimaced." really only has the same meaning as "He made a face." What kind of face? What kind of grimace?

Also, the big purple McDonald's critter scared the crap out of me. And his grimace is a perpetual smile! Aieee!

serabeara

Very Necessary
Registered
Reaction score
I can't stand when characters pad around.

"She padded down the hall."

Hate it.

I read a paranormal romance not long ago where the big scary vampire hero was padding all over the place. It drove me nuts. I just can't picture big tough guys or scary vampires padding around. They walk, they run, they stomp, they storm around rooms, but they don't pad around a room sheesh.

Last edited:

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't stand when characters pad around.

"She padded down the hall."
Likewise, "picked at her salad." I started a whole thread about that one a while back.

There are a lot of writerisms I hate. Little phrases that only turn up in writing, that no sane person would ever utter aloud. "Shock of hair" or "arms akimbo." Blech! Padded and picked at fall into that category for me.

Snuck is the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.